NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

rosaluma

TDI
2012 Passat
2012 Passat back in service.

Just got back yesterday. Yes, it is complete with new fuel system, all 28 parts. Service did not provide fault codes, but detailed explanation did indicate metal in the pump, and fuel system. Dealer provided an identical Passat, gas version. I have to say, having driven both now, I am hooked on the performance of the TDI. I hope this issue gets resolved before another failure.

A Q7 TDI passed me today, prompting the question, are Audis experiencing the same issue? What pump/injectors, are they using?

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
Mini uses Toyota, PSA, or BMW diesels depending on year.
you are correct, it was just a rumor that they wanted to use the multijet but they never did.

it was used in Fiat, Lancia, Suzuki and on the Ford Ka, some Citroen and some Peugeot

falcon_1898

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta 2.0L TDI
Regarding the probability of failure being 0.53% for mkv and 0.11% for mkvi, I think what's more interesting is the cumulative distribution of failure.

As these cars age, how steep is that curve? Does occurrence of failure increase significantly after a point in time? Has anyone already taken a look at that?

As far as I have read in these forums, it seems that failures can occur at any point in time, which resemble a random distribution. There is simply not enough data to confirm or disprove that failures increase with time. Of courses, it doesn't say too many good things about their quality.

As such, unless there is a sharp rise after an unacceptable short period of time or a high enough random chance of failure, I doubt VW is going to do much about it.

This really sucks for us as we are sitting on a box, the content of which could be a time bomb.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
you are correct, it was just a rumor that they wanted to use the multijet but they never did.

it was used in Fiat, Lancia, Suzuki and on the Ford Ka, some Citroen and some Peugeot
OT, but I don't believe you're correct. No PSA vehicle that I know of used the Fiat lump. Other way around, actually, as Fiat branded an HDI as their own...

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The "Eurovans" (not to be confused with the US-market VW T4 Transporter) did use PSA engines, it appears, not Fiat engines.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Regarding the probability of failure being 0.53% for mkv and 0.11% for mkvi, I think what's more interesting is the cumulative distribution of failure.

As these cars age, how steep is that curve? Does occurrence of failure increase significantly after a point in time? Has anyone already taken a look at that?

As far as I have read in these forums, it seems that failures can occur at any point in time, which resemble a random distribution. There is simply not enough data to confirm or disprove that failures increase with time. Of courses, it doesn't say too many good things about their quality.

As such, unless there is a sharp rise after an unacceptable short period of time or a high enough random chance of failure, I doubt VW is going to do much about it.

This really sucks for us as we are sitting on a box, the content of which could be a time bomb.
From the data that dweisel gathered and summarized and the data available from the NHTSA, there does not appear to be any correlation to mileage and age of the vehicle. There seems to be a slightly higher failures rate in the south western states, but in some states the sales are so low that it is again difficult to draw conclusions. Some of the failures, probably due to misfueling, happened on the first tank, while at least one that comes to mind had around 100,000 miles.

amy1000

TDI
2010 jetta
Just got back yesterday. Yes, it is complete with new fuel system, all 28 parts. Service did not provide fault codes, but detailed explanation did indicate metal in the pump, and fuel system. Dealer provided an identical Passat, gas version. I have to say, having driven both now, I am hooked on the performance of the TDI. I hope this issue gets resolved before another failure.

A Q7 TDI passed me today, prompting the question, are Audis experiencing the same issue? What pump/injectors, are they using?

This disturbs me...2012 vw's with same HPFP problem as the 2009 and 2010 Jetta TDIs. Grrr. Update on my customer 'uncare' with VoA.

VoA contacted me yesterday. And started the call with an apology on how my last call with them went. He wanted to know what they could do. I asked him about extending the warranty on the fuel system. Offered me one year/12k...I asked for 10 yr 120k like they gave the 2006gti owners for cam shaft/hpfp in 2010. Ask him why they can't stand behind the repair. He says different situation. No go. He would only give me 3 year/36k...final offer he says. So that buys me some time to research my next car. I am done with vw. But still plan to write the president and provide him with documentation of my experience.

I am wondering if all the posts on the Face Book helped. Thanks to everyone, if you haven't posted yet the link is below:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/VW

Oh, and I take the time to tell him how I think the quality of vw has gone down...since I had to drive loaners over the 45 days they had my car... I had 2012 passat gasser, 2012 jetta tdi, 2012 jetta gasser and 2012 gti...he starts trying to sell me on the new 2013 passat, blah, blah blah, made in our plant in chattanooga....unbelievable.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
I think that the failure is becoming more mute because I know of plenty of commonrails over 100k with no issues... Plus the parts are coming down in price... I wish they just make the kit dirt cheap so if we do get a failure outside warranty it's not a house payment to fix it

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I think that the failure is becoming more mute because I know of plenty of commonrails over 100k with no issues... Plus the parts are coming down in price... I wish they just make the kit dirt cheap so if we do get a failure outside warranty it's not a house payment to fix it
You have an $8-10,000 House Payment???

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Oh, and I take the time to tell him how I think the quality of vw has gone down...since I had to drive loaners over the 45 days they had my car... I had 2012 passat gasser, 2012 jetta tdi, 2012 jetta gasser and 2012 gti...he starts trying to sell me on the new 2013 passat, blah, blah blah, made in our plant in chattanooga....unbelievable.
Makes me wonder if he didn't know that the 2012 Passat was also made in Chattanooga? I'm glad you got some extended warranty and that you have decided to get as far away from that car as you can.

amy1000

TDI
2010 jetta
hi Claudio,

Thanks to another member I learned about asking VW trade assist...but don't want vw. Are you talking lemon law buy bacK?

amy1000

TDI
2010 jetta
Makes me wonder if he didn't know that the 2012 Passat was also made in Chattanooga? I'm glad you got some extended warranty and that you have decided to get as far away from that car as you can.
wish I could run that fast from it. I stilll like the car, it's style and it's pep, going to be hard to find a replacement. I got to find another brand of vehicle that I like and that get's good gas mileage. I drive 74 miles a day round trip so need to get good gas mileage.

Blackheart

TDI
2010 sedan
wish I could run that fast from it. I stilll like the car, it's style and it's pep, going to be hard to find a replacement. I got to find another brand of vehicle that I like and that get's good gas mileage. I drive 74 miles a day round trip so need to get good gas mileage.
CAREFUL! Don't say "gas mileage" if it's a diesel! :eek:

I hope you can still laugh, after all you've been through. ;)

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
I got to find another brand of vehicle that I like and that get's good gas mileage. I drive 74 miles a day round trip so need to get good gas mileage.
I gotta say, I just passed a brand new Ford Fusion Hybrid on the highway and it was a good looking car.

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
Amy, I am sure the VW call was due to the facebook posts. Three yr/36000 mile warranty! And you didn't take it! :p:p:p:p Neither would I. After all, if VW was so sure of their product why not 100,000K ?

Try an Hyundai or Subaru or Honda Fit.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
I gotta say, I just passed a brand new Ford Fusion Hybrid on the highway and it was a good looking car.
I second the kudos to the Fusion, if I start seeing Passat HPFP's going south in any numbers the Fusion Hybrid will probably be my replacement.

amy1000

TDI
2010 jetta

Rosaluma just had one with 2012 passat with only 5000m on it, but I guess that is unusual?!.

Blackheart

TDI
2010 sedan
I second the kudos to the Fusion, if I start seeing Passat HPFP's going south in any numbers the Fusion Hybrid will probably be my replacement.
I ALMOST sold my Jetta TDI for a Fusion. Decided to ride out the TDI saga, and see how it goes. I already have a 7 year/100,000 mile warranty, and I got it in an email from the warranty company (VW's warranty) stating that the HPFP was covered. So, I decided I'm in it for the long haul. Besides, by the time 4 more years goes by, I'm sure there will be an acceptable-to-me fix, even if it is that I spend 2000.00 or so to buy an improved pump. Too many smart people are working on a fix...even if they don't work for BOSCH or VW! :rolleyes: Who knows, maybe BOSCH and VW are hard at work in the background....

If I were Amy, I don't know that I'd EVER own another diesel, nor another VW. Once bitten, twice shy.