Brake Dilema/Timing Belt Dilema

jjr

Recently I had a problem with my brakes. It seemed that I had no power in my brake pedal. I took it to a VW dealership and they found a crack in the vaccuum hose coming from the brake boost. They replaced it and the problenm was resolved. I also got the dealership to change my timing belt. NOW I HAVE A PROBLEM. When accelerating (in every gear) at about 2000 RPM's a blowing sound is heard coming from the engine. I took the car back to the dealership and the mechnic went for a ride with me. He said that it was normal (only a pressure relese valve in the turbo unit)!!! I have never heard this sound before - in any diesel I have owned. Anyone have any idea what this might be?

jjr

The sound is coming from the engine compartment - sounds like it is coming from just behind the glove box.

jjr

Also, the sound is pretty loud (very noticeable) when driving with the window open.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
WEll, TDI turbo's don't hav ea "release valve" or a blow off valveof any kind, so he fed you a line of crap there. I could be a vac line off somewhere, but I don't think that wold be as loud as you say. Does the car have the same power as before? If not it might be an intercooler hose half off or something. I wouldn't go back to your stealership though ifyou can avoid it, or at least talk to the shop manager because that mechanic needs a good beating.

jjr

The car is running fine. Acceleration is normal, actually everything seems normal. I am not impressed with the dealership. Would be great if it was just a hose not properly connected. I don't really want to bother taking it back to that dealership or any dealership for that matter.

jjr

Can anyone explain what these vaccuum lines are doing? (Please remember I am just starting to learn the workings of a TDI)

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Alot of the little hoses on the driver's side are to do with controlling the turbo's vanes (to control the turbo boost) and the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation valve). If the one that goes to the turbo is offf I am not sure if it gives you full boost (vanes closed) or no boost (vanes open). Since you said it seems to be performing normally that probably isn't it. But i would check the large hose near the passenger side that connects to the intake manifold for cracks, the may not have been too gentle taking it off for the TB and it has a small crack or something in it. Other than that I can't think of anything else that would make that sort of noise. Can you record it and put it online here for us? Maybe another person may have a better idea if we can really hear it.

jjr

I looked around the ingine and could not find any loose vac hoses. However, when I looked under the car I noticed oil drips. At the very front passenger side of the car near the bottom (right at the bottom grill on the front of the car) I noticed a small unit that looks like a mini radiator - I noticed oil dripping from it. I also tested to see where the sound was coming from while in neutral and reving to 2000 RPM's. It was coming from this small unit.

jjr

Would this oil dripping have anything to do with a timing belt change. Had no problems prior to the timing belt being changed?

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Is there a clamp on the little rubber tube at each end of the intercooler, the little radiator?

VR6nTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now. Former: 00 Jetta, 01 NB
That's the intercooler and the dealer tech would have removed the hose to the unit when doing the TB. Check if the hose is connected to the intercooler properly and the clamp is tight.

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver
Stealership incompetence strikes again.

"Sure Mr. "Highly trained" dealer tech...there is no reason to double check your work when your doing a TB job....it's SOOOO simple...there is NO reason to make sure you put everything back properly...nahhhhh."

*for the uninitiated...the preceeding quote was full of sarcasm*