Comparing TDI mileage - Golf vs. NB (vs. Jetta)?

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
Regarding A4 TDIs (but not PD):
I've found a number of post regarding what sort of mileage people are getting based on driving style and modifications, but other than the EPA estimates and a sense of "up to 50 mpg in a Jetta, up to 60 mpg in a Golf" I have not found any comparison regarding Golf vs. New Beetle vs. Jetta.

As I'm shopping for a used TDI purely to save money on fuel, I am particularly curious as to how Golf and NB compare. Is the NB any better due to its shape, or actually worse?

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Re: Comparing TDI mileage - Golf vs. NB (vs. Jett

If your looking for fuel econmy - look no further then to ensure you are getting a manual transmission. THe DSG 6 speed automatics availble with the 2004/05 Beetle is very close, but avoid the 4 speed automatic like the plague.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T

The Jetta has the best drag coefficient compared to the NB and Golf.

You can get up to 60 MPG with a Jetta too (it takes pretty slow driving though, 60 MPH or so). Weight has little bearing once you're cruising, and even then the weight isn't that different between a Golf and Jetta. Same frame, just the trunk/hatch is different.

As far as a non-PD car, get one with a 5-speed manual tranny. Set the cruise at 55 or 60 MPH and watch as you get around 60 MPG.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
... other than the EPA estimates and a sense of "up to 50 mpg in a Jetta, up to 60 mpg in a Golf" I have not found any comparison regarding Golf vs. New Beetle vs. Jetta.

As I'm shopping for a used TDI purely to save money on fuel, I am particularly curious as to how Golf and NB compare.
Your mileage may vary. Correction: Your mileage will vary.

Not many people have the exact driving conditions required to achieve 50+ mpg on a regular basis. I've done it twice, out of over 200 tankfuls. Typically I get 38 mpg in the summer, 41 mpg in the winter.

Get a TDI if you drive a lot of miles. But the mileage you obtain will mainly depend on how you drive, not on whether you buy a Golf, NB, or Jetta.

michTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and 2015 GSW MT
Tornado Red's mileage seems quite low (unless his is an automatic).....but it depends a LOT on driving style as well as ratio of city/highway etc. Bought my 2001 Jetta new and now have 115,000 miles and my lifetime average is 46 mpg. Lower in the winter (winter fuel)-higher in the summer-still will get 50-52 on a tank if its all highway.....but my 30 mile commute to work is mostly highway......it seems to me that those AVERAGING 50 or more overall (and over many thousands of miles) must drive quite slow (55-60) a lot-or something........I have noticed southerners (warm weather most of the year) tend to report better mpg too (no winter fuel I guess)......

gleep

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed. I do a lot of very high speed highway miles. I make no attempt to squeeze extra mpg's when I drive. Over 80,000 miles in 3+ years I have averaged 41 mpg - best tank = 48 mpg, worst tank = 36 mpg.

gleep

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo
I have not found any comparison regarding Golf vs. New Beetle vs. Jetta. . . . As I'm shopping for a used TDI purely to save money on fuel, . . .
Go for the Golf, 2 door, GL.

The NB would be worse, as it has large frontal area and is heavy.
The Jetta should be quite good except that its 4 door.
The 2 door Golf is probably where its at. It does not have the extra weight of the extra 2 doors, nor the weight of all the gadgets and gismos, (GL trim), and is almost as aerodynamic as the Jetta.

My own 2002 2door Golf has 74kmiles at 59.3 mpUSg.
Worst tank was (the 1st and 2nd) at 49 mpUSg, going up to 64 mpUSg.

I can drive at 65mph and return 60 mpg.
When I go to Seattle I drive the I5 at 70/75 mph, and still see mpg's up there in the 55 - 60 region.

Currently on my fourth in a row 900+ mile tank all about 62 mpUSg.

Its an amazing car.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Tornado Red's mileage seems quite low (unless his is an automatic)..... but it depends a LOT on driving style as well as ratio of city/highway etc.
My fuel economy is quite typical for someone who drives the way I do: eight hours a day of urban, suburban, and freeway driving, AC blasting all the time, with a few mountains (or at least steep hills) thrown in for good measure. And, including time spent in heavy traffic, probably 30-45 minutes of idling each day, producing zero mpg. Average it all together, and I'm quite satisfied. When November rolls around and I can start stringing together a series of 40+ mpg tanks, I'll be very happy.

My point was, not everyone gets 50+ mpg regularly, and a prospective TDI buyer should not have unrealistic expectations.

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
With typical fuel-miser type cars, weight, rolling resistance and aerodynamics mean everything. With a TDI they are still important, but not as much so due to the dynamics of a diesel engine. IOW a gas engine is more susceptible to changes in weight and drag. We can have four people and luggage in the car and still get 50+, not so in a Prius.

I would say the most important thing for you to consider is that you get a TDI in good shape. Recent filter changes, no clogged intakes, cleaned snow screen, timing set correctly (or a tad bit advanced).

Oh, and BTW do not get an automatic. Kinda defeats the purpose...

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
With typical fuel-miser type cars, weight, rolling resistance and aerodynamics mean everything. With a TDI they are still important, but not as much so due to the dynamics of a diesel engine. IOW a gas engine is more susceptible to changes in weight and drag. We can have four people and luggage in the car and still get 50+, not so in a Prius.

I would say the most important thing for you to consider is that you get a TDI in good shape. Recent filter changes, no clogged intakes, cleaned snow screen, timing set correctly (or a tad bit advanced).

Oh, and BTW do not get an automatic. Kinda defeats the purpose...
I think I have proven that good mileage is possible, even in a Beetle with a DSG. 47 mpg over 11k miles in May and June I see as proof it can be done. It's all in the right foot. September and October should be interesting from a results standpoint.

NorthernMage

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 6MT, Platinum Grey
Just had a long drive myself "verylongdrive", I did a road trip from Ottawa, Ontario (near Syracuse, NY) out to Victoria, BC (north of Seattle, WA). My first tank returned me 50 MPG Imp/42 MPG US and all my subsequent mileage improved until I was getting 61.4 MPG Imp/51 MPG US, this was at 130 KmH/80 MPH with the AC running and mostly cruise control all out I 80 up I 29 to I 90 then through Montana, detour to Alberta, back through Glacier National Park and out through the Rockies.... the average mileage was 56.6 MPG IMP and 47 MPG US, not bad for a 2000 Jetta TDI with 147,000 Kms on it. It was mainly highway but did go through Yellowstone, Rapid City and a few other stops.... It cost me a total of $250.00 CDN or $200.00 USD for fuel, a lot cheaper than the airfare for two people out here. I used about a quarter of a quart of oil but other than that it was painless, I should have inflated the tires to max before I left but I wasn't going for a record. Would like to see how this compares to a Passat because that is what I would like if they ever stuck in a standard tranny....

TriangleTDI

TDI
05 Golf 5 spd Anthracite Blue, Grey velour
Only 5k miles on my car so far, best tank 41mpg, worst tank 36mpg (1st tank). I drive the car moderately hard (lots of quick accelerations and 80mph is common). I am trying to drive it no faster than 70 this tank to see if I can get closer to 45mpg. When should i start seeing the car hit the higher marks? I drive 50 miles to work each day, and 50 miles back.

I will have to try 65mph one tank and see what happens I guess.

LVPAJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW, 2015, (RIP)
One other thing to keep in mind is the maintenance costs of a NB. I've heard that everything from Timing Belt changes to routine maintenance is harder/more expensive b/c of the cramped working area. I drive a Jetta and typically get 47 MPG - 52 MPG was my best w/ the cruise set between 65/70.

TDISeth

TDI
2003 Golf GL, Silver
I also have a 2 door Golf GL. 2003 (with power windows) 5 speed. Worst is in winter, at 43 MPG. Best ever is in summer, 64MPG. Typical summer is 46-51, winter is 44-49.

US gallons, BTW

Seth

Go for the Golf, 2 door, GL.

The NB would be worse, as it has large frontal area and is heavy.
The Jetta should be quite good except that its 4 door.
The 2 door Golf is probably where its at. It does not have the extra weight of the extra 2 doors, nor the weight of all the gadgets and gismos, (GL trim), and is almost as aerodynamic as the Jetta.

My own 2002 2door Golf has 74kmiles at 59.3 mpUSg.
Worst tank was (the 1st and 2nd) at 49 mpUSg, going up to 64 mpUSg.

I can drive at 65mph and return 60 mpg.
When I go to Seattle I drive the I5 at 70/75 mph, and still see mpg's up there in the 55 - 60 region.

Currently on my fourth in a row 900+ mile tank all about 62 mpUSg.

Its an amazing car.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
2000 Jetta 5 spd (of course) No road trips since I drove it back from Florida 2 years ago but daily 40 mile one way work commute during nonblended fuel season (shorter than most) is 52 MPG USG lifetime average. 56 MPG best, although the aveage is the only thing i pay attention to. Currently 88K, bought it with 44K. Not much stop and go, about 80% highway and usually 2 lane 60-65MPH. So drive moderately and enjoy, even though I know my odometer is off as are most of them it still is fun to be able to haul things/people and get hybrid type fuel mileage.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
2000 NB 5sp. 48-52 with summer fuel.
46-48 with winter fuel.

2005 Passat variant auto. best so far is only 36mpg, it only has 1400 miles on it though.

I drive 95% highway.

More RPMs use more fuel. Best mpgs are under 60mph, over 80mph has a drastic effect on mpgs.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue

Wind resistance goes up logrithmatically - keep this in mind. Faster means more fuel per mile - and faster than faster goes up quicker. 100mph is much less efficient than 80 mph which is much less efficient than 60 mph, but it doesn't go up dramatically after that since wind resistance below that area becomes much less important than other friction factors.