TOP SPEED

matejg

Hello.
I would like to know if the VW TDI Beetle can achive a higher speed than, the 171km/h, e.g. 110mph meauserd by VW. From driving a few cars I now that they can go faster than the manual claims.

Thanks in advance.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Drag increases 4 fold everytime the speed is doubled. So, in the event 110 isn't fast enough in the bug to kill ya, the governor I believe is set for 129 on the TDI's.

If you still really need to go faster yet, take up flying! OH, I almost forgot there is a speed limit of 250kts below 10,000 ft but above that just don't make a sonic boom and everyone will be happy.

DB

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Speed limits in the sky? GAAAAHHHHH!

The horror... the horror!

------------------
Always interested in steep & deep.
And now, a few great weeks of spring skiing...

Jason Crabtree

Veteran Member
Reminds me of that great Corrado ad. How do you make a Vw go 225 km/h? And they show a old beetle being dropped from a helicopter and then a Corrado screaming around some bends.

(I think it was 225 km/h)

Drivbiwire: where did you get that cool "Anakin Pod Racer" type thing? I like it.

J.

M

mickey

natejg: I don't know about stock, but I'd guess that's an accurate number. Those magazine guys have no qualms about wringing out their test cars. It probably wasn't broken in, though, and I doubt they paid any attention to fuel quality and/or additives. You might get a few mph more than that.

I've had my Wetted NB up to 110 mph, and it obviously had plenty more on tap. I suspect you could peg the tach with a Wetted TDI. I'm sure you could with a Jetta anyway, since they're slipperier. I'm not sure what kind of speed that translates to. 120, perhaps?

-mickey

BIGJOHNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf (Black) mine; 2011 Golf (UGM) hers
Well, the TDI goes 40 at 1400 rpm in 5th, 80 at 2800, so it should be at 4200 at 120 mph (same gearing, right?). Theoretically, if you could get to the 4700 (I believe) redline, that would be about 134 mph
!
I wonder what your mileage would be on a full tank going 134 mph?

John

Rocket18k

i did a stock run for my bug before mods to see top end. i did 115 at about 4000 rpms (it was still climbing) before i backed off because the road wasnt the best and the bug was starting to get floaty. we need some sort of foil or wing that isnt for looks but helps hold the car down or higher speeds would be a little scary.

S

SkyPup

I done an easy 115 mph (verified by GPS) at approx. 4,000 rpm in fifth gear in both my NB TDI and my A4 Jetta TDI. No problem, still accelerating but I have no need to attempt any faster. It is alot more hairy on my two motorcycles at 115 mph at 7,500 rpm though.

Stinky-D

I had no problem getting up to 115 in montana last summer, and it eventually got up to 122, but i don't think there is much else beyond that (not without going down a hill anyway).

vinbin

I've had my stock 99.5 Jetta TDI GL up to 112MPH (with a roof rack installed... It has a faring). The Jetta felt like it would be willing to do more, but it felt a little twitchy and I don't/didn't feel that my driving skills really can handle any car beyond 100MPH.

Codpilot

Well my 00 Golf GLS was happy to go 115 on the speedo before my fear of a major $$ ticket overcame the wilda** grin on my face urging the foot further down. I was however still accelerating! Nice level Florida ground - no hills, just cruis'in. Love this engine, love my car!!!!

M

mickey

115 mph this afternoon, and still pulling! I'm sure a Wetted Bug could do 125+ on a good day. SkyPup's Jetta might even make it all the way to redline with all the free-breathing mods he's done.

-mickey

ThinkDiesel

Veteran Member
My TDI is 100% stock, no Wett or anything. I did 118 mph up a slight incline on a remote highway in Pennsylvania. I actually could have gone a little faster, but I was closing in fast on a few cars ahead of me and I didnt want to pass other cars doing 118 mph! It was only a 4 lane highway (2 lanes on either side)

ThinkDiesel

Veteran Member
BTW--- I DO NOT recommend or encourage anyone to drive at or anywhere near these speeds. Just because the car is capable of it, does NOT make it a good idea.

Consider:

1. Road conditions
2. Your driving ability--be honest w/yourself
3. The speed rating of your tires
4. A blowout at 100-plus mph will likely mean the end of you and your car

erickimb

Veteran Member
I'm going up to Lake city, Fl this weekend and I am going to get my 00 Jetta tdi 5 spd to its top end on this partially deserted road that's a few miles long, I've had other cars up to their top speed on this same road before, so if you don't hear from me next week you know what happened.

Rocket18k

dr who,

i have gotten my 240d up to 87 but it took a long time getting there, it ran nice and smooth at that speed, but the car was definately not made for racing

------------------
2000 NB TDI
1999 Dodge 2500 cummins
1981 MB 240d
1985 Toyota Corolla diesel

S

SkyPup

My new 2000 KTM 640 just had a new complete ceramic header pipe and exhaust extractor installed last month (by me) and I have been working on rejetting the Mikuini BST 40mm carb on it. I ordered some jets from White Brothers to try out, but since the bike and carb were brand new European models they didn't have anything listed in their catalogs. So, I dismantled my carb and then called them with my specs for the round brass jets (not the hex head ones!). The stock pilot was a 45, the jet needle I moved up from the 2nd to 4th position, and the 142.5 main jet was way too lean.
Last night I tried running the 150 main, too lean, 155 main, too lean, 165, too lean, 175 finally running straight though redline in 5th gear at 8,500rpm, changed out to 185 just to keep things on the rich side. 185 runs past redline clean in high gear.

Results are TOP SPEED -> 119 mph GPS verified at night, temp about 55 F, 30.1 inches of mercury, relative humidity 55%.

The ROOST from 0-119mph is what matters the most to me though!

S

SkyPup

I only smoke unfiltered Camels, but I roost the Earth!

BTW, last night, with the 165 main jet wide open was 118 mph with the OEM 16 tooth front countershaft srocket and 40 tooth rear countershaft sprocket at 7,800 rpm. The 2.5:1 final drive ratio was a little too high to bring the top end to match the peak HP output at 8,500 rpm, so I have a 15 tooth front countershaft sprocket (would provide a 2.67 final ratio at 15:40) and a 42 tooth rear sprocket (would provide a 2.625 final ration at 16:42). Since I am interested in providing the longest possible chain life, it is best to run a 16 front sprocket instead of a 14 or 15, while on the rear the difference in diameter of the sprocket is minimal between a 40 and a 42.

Anyhow, by 10 PM I had the beast back together with the new sprockets and jets installed. Result is awesome, 0-60 = 3.1 sec., 0-80 = 5.4 sec, 0-100 = 10.8 sec. Top End = 116.

Now that that is out of the way, time to spend some more time on TDI Performance Development!

Robber

Veteran Member
TDI
Did own 99 Golf IV, Upsolute Chip and opened intake
I was driving to my parents the other day when this State Trooper got on the Highway. Three cars pulled in behind this trooper and followed him doing 80, a Ford Taurus, Dodge Neon, and a new Saab. I decided to pull in behind them. We followed the trooper for 2 hours then he pulled off. I happened to be in the lead after that and accelerated to see what the Saab would do. I hit 110 and he was still behind me a good way. Then I hit traffic and he caught up, we changed places I got on the tail of the Dodge Neon, who was also trying to keep up. At one point the Neon hit 110 and I was on his butt. I step on the gas and the TDI responded by closing the gap breathlessly, but then we got closer to traffic and I backed off and let them go on their way.

------------------
99 Golf GL TDI, White
Front Bra Cover, Spash Guards,
Armrest, VW Bike Rack & Tinted windows
Boost guage and pyrometer

Till death do us part.