Head unit replacement, anyone ever tried this unit?

Darren_0203

TDI
2012 mk6
It says on that long description somewhere that its direct replacement and uses steering controls without an adapter

Darren_0203

TDI
2012 mk6
Not entirely sure what mfd is. It says it retains steering controls. I tried looking for a review on YouTube but I didnt find one with this exact model

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
So with no integration we're just a bunch of cow people talking about horse things?

caper

TDI
2011 golf wagon
I have rcd 330+ and it work with mfd. These are original VW equipment used in Russia I think. Mine is a few years old now and had no problem with it except some am channels not compatible with north American setup. No problem with FM channels. Mine is a 187A variant and does not have apple carplay which the new version 187B has.

Darren_0203

TDI
2012 mk6
Is the Mfd the information you get in between the speedo and tach on that little screen I watch my mpg on? So like I wont see what song is playing but if I want to know that I could just look at the radio...

On the rcd330
It doesnt say if it has gps?
Mirror link only works through USB

The oenen has like a billion features, gps, can connect to the obd2 port, mirror works without USB, you can use your phone as a hotspot, gauges and reassignable steering controls....

Not promoting one or the other, just looking for info

27win

TDI
14' JSW, 13' JSW
I'm having a Pioneer 1500 NEX installed in my 13 JSW tomorrow. I'm also having Maestro and a rear camera installed if they can install the camera without doing a license plate mount. I'd like it to look as close to factory as possible.

27win

TDI
14' JSW, 13' JSW
I didn't get to mess with it much today. I did use bluetooth and the sound quality is VERY good. It's a huge step up from the factory stereo. Because I added Maestro all of the steering wheel buttons work perfectly. I'll try Android Auto and some apps out tomorrow afternoon.

TDI
2013 JSW DSG
I'm curious if navigation running on android auto will work with the navigation display in the MFD. the maestro advertises support for it but it's not clear if it's with dedicated navigation head units or through AA as well.

Darren_0203

TDI
2012 mk6
I'm also interested in how your experience will be with the pioneer, it's not that much more and is a much more reputable brand. I've never had a car with android auto.

caper

TDI
2011 golf wagon
Is the Mfd the information you get in between the speedo and tach on that little screen I watch my mpg on? So like I wont see what song is playing but if I want to know that I could just look at the radio...
On the rcd330
It doesnt say if it has gps?
Mirror link only works through USB
The oenen has like a billion features, gps, can connect to the obd2 port, mirror works without USB, you can use your phone as a hotspot, gauges and reassignable steering controls....
Not promoting one or the other, just looking for info
Yes I do get them on the head unit, but mine is a basic mfd which does not have the fuel consumption.

27win

TDI
14' JSW, 13' JSW
So far I'm loving this head unit. I'm amazed at the sound quality difference with the exact same speakers. I'm using AA daily with Google Maps and Waze, I have my Google Calendar sync'd and can pull up appointments from the head unit, if I want driving directions I just tap the address and it comes up in Google maps, tap navigate and off I go.
It also has all of the factory messages and annunciators from the center gauge screen right on the head unit. My 13' JSW didn't have a backup camera, so I'm adding that this week. Also adding the OBD2 connection to better monitor engine/system parameters.
IMO you can't go wrong with this unit.

Darren_0203

TDI
2012 mk6
So far I'm loving this head unit. I'm amazed at the sound quality difference with the exact same speakers. I'm using AA daily with Google Maps and Waze, I have my Google Calendar sync'd and can pull up appointments from the head unit, if I want driving directions I just tap the address and it comes up in Google maps, tap navigate and off I go.
It also has all of the factory messages and annunciators from the center gauge screen right on the head unit. My 13' JSW didn't have a backup camera, so I'm adding that this week. Also adding the OBD2 connection to better monitor engine/system parameters.
IMO you can't go wrong with this unit.
Do you have to buy an obd2 connector or does it come with? The Maestro, on clutfeilds site, says it connects and shows obd2 info, I didn't see anywhere that it was extra. I was curious how accurate the data for boost and egts was.

27win

TDI
14' JSW, 13' JSW
Do you have to buy an obd2 connector or does it come with? The Maestro, on clutfeilds site, says it connects and shows obd2 info, I didn't see anywhere that it was extra. I was curious how accurate the data for boost and egts was.
To be 100% sure I need to verify with my dealer. I thought it had to be added. I'll clarify and post an update.