RTDI Part 2

MrBigTruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle, 2000 GTI ALH swap, 2006 Jetta, 2006 Jetta, 2008 Mercedes GL320 CDI
Yep, it has an oil return port on it in the backside of the pan and it also has another port in the front for anyone that runs a supercharger or would wanna hook up their catch can to it.
I'll definitely be pulling the trigger on one of those. When I went to the GTB2260VKLR I had to drill into the oil pan for my return line because the turbo hangs down so far that It was impossible to hook the return line to the port that is in the block. Do they include a plug for that front port? I guess I could hook my crankcase vent to it.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
I'll definitely be pulling the trigger on one of those. When I went to the GTB2260VKLR I had to drill into the oil pan for my return line because the turbo hangs down so far that It was impossible to hook the return line to the port that is in the block. Do they include a plug for that front port? I guess I could hook my crankcase vent to it.
Yeah, I wish I had this pan installed when I upgraded to a VKLR turbo, since like you mentioned, it would have made things a heck of a lot easier when running the return line.
We got a little bit creative and purchased this Banjo Bolt Kit M18x1.5mm to -6AN to replace the insert that's in the block. Then on the adapter block that's on the turbo, I had a friend weld on an aluminum -6AN fitting to the adapter block to be able to run a braided SS hose between the two.
Like so.

MrBigTruck

Veteran Member
TDI

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
In the 5 days since you posted this, ECS Tuning dropped their price and is now $23 less than the other place. Maybe they're reading the TDI Forum.
You never know, that could very well be. The more likely reason is that it's on sale for Black "Friday". Either way that's nice to see that the dropped their price on the oil pan. Makes me wish I could have waited and saved some money, unless the addition of sales tax made it a wash...

I actually just added it to my cart out of curiosity and the total came to 597.80 with tax on ECS Tuning. So, even with the baffled oil pan being on sale at ECS Tuning they're still 9 dollars over PG Performance sells it for at their regular price. Here I thought with the volume that they sell, they'd be a bit more reasonable than most places, but I guess not.🤷‍♂️

And here I thought this would be cheaper to get a pan now. You could always email Issam and see if he'd let you buy one directly from him.
iABED Industries

Good luck! Do you have a link to your build?

MrBigTruck

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you have a link to your build?
My build became 2 builds. Last year I got a bunch of parts together to build an ALH engine to swap into a MKIV GTI. I built the engine and had it on a stand with a GTB2260VKLR on a cast manifold, Gibonta .320 injectors, a 12mm IP (later swapped it for an 11), some h-beam rods, etc. Then this year in March I had a heart attack even though I was relatively young (51 at the time) and in excellent physical shape. I’ve spent this year recovering from my heart attack but in the meantime my 2000 NB (which I had given to my 19 year old son) needed the engine rebuilt at 300,000 miles, probably due to some injector weirdness. So we ended up using that engine in his Beetle with a relatively mild tune for the hardware keeping it around 250HP. Now I’m collecting parts for a rebuild of another ALH engine that will finally be going into my GTI swap but I’m pretty much starting over. Since you’ve asked though, I think I will start a build thread. I’ll come back and post a link as soon as I start it.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
My build became 2 builds. Last year I got a bunch of parts together to build an ALH engine to swap into a MKIV GTI. I built the engine and had it on a stand with a GTB2260VKLR on a cast manifold, Gibonta .320 injectors, a 12mm IP (later swapped it for an 11), some h-beam rods, etc. Then this year in March I had a heart attack even though I was relatively young (51 at the time) and in excellent physical shape. I’ve spent this year recovering from my heart attack but in the meantime my 2000 NB (which I had given to my 19 year old son) needed the engine rebuilt at 300,000 miles, probably due to some injector weirdness. So we ended up using that engine in his Beetle with a relatively mild tune for the hardware keeping it around 250HP. Now I’m collecting parts for a rebuild of another ALH engine that will finally be going into my GTI swap but I’m pretty much starting over. Since you’ve asked though, I think I will start a build thread. I’ll come back and post a link as soon as I start it.
First off, it's great to hear that you survived the heart attack and second, your son is one lucky guy to inherit the engine you were building for your GTI.😆

Now it makes sense why you bought the tubular manifold from me.
What turbo are you going to be running on your ALH?
What other mods are you planning on doing?

One thing to upgrade that you may not even think about upgrading, would be your motor mounts. As you maybe saw in my build thread, the original owner that commissioned the TDI swap stuck with the factory motor mounts and needless to say, the mounts were completely shot after a year. So I would highly recommend you upgrade your motor mounts when install your built ALH.
I went with the competition motor mounts from Vibra-Technics and am extremely happy with them.
https://www.vibra-technics.com/vw/golf_jetta_mk_iv_
I'd also recommend their dog bone mount bushing too.
https://www.vibra-technics.com/vw/g..._Subframe_mount_20R32/mk5_dogbone_upgrade_kit
You can get it from the link below and they have really good prices on the upper motor mounts too.
https://eaaengineering.com/products/mk4-golfjetta-18t-vibra-technics-torque-link-bushing-small-end
https://eaaengineering.com/t/mounts

Definitely let me know when you get a build thread going, so I can follow along.(y)

MrBigTruck

Veteran Member
TDI
How was this build? What is your next step for this car?
I am still in the process of building the car. I am expecting a bunch of parts this week including the intake and exhaust manifolds and the turbo. I will post more pics on my build thread this week as I get them and put them on the engine.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
It's been a while since I updated this thread, so I figured I'd let you guys know what's been going on the past few months.

Besides the ceramic coating on the pistons and larger turbine wheel, I wanted another way to help keep the temps in check when out on the track getting pushed to the limit. After doing plenty of research and talking with a few different people, I decided to purchase a Water/Meth kit from Snow Performance/Nitrous Express. Here's the kit I ended up ordering. https://nitrousexpress.com/Stage-2-...-Temp-Nylon-Tubing-Quick-Connect-Fittings.asp

Then when James my mechanic friend was going to fit the PD150 TIP, it didn't clear the new tubular manifold.

Rather than try and modify the PD150 TIP, it just made more sense to order a different TIP and upgrade it at the same time, so I ordered a 3" TIP.
https://profidiesel.net/intake-manifolds-tip/80-profidiesel-19tdi-turbo-inlet-pipe-3-76mm-ss.html

When I switched from an Audi style turbo to a BMW(V-band) style turbo I knew that the flange on the downpipe would have to be converted to connect with the turbine outlet. Little did I know at that time that the flange that connects with the turbine outlet on the BMW turbo required a specialty flange that would be somewhat hard to find. Adam at Pioneering Performance was able to help point me in the right direction.
https://www.modosport.eu/shop-1/exhaust-flange-kit-gt-gt2260vk-bmw

This iteration I'm going to run a catch can to keep the intake tract and intercooler setup free of the oil mist that would otherwise make its way into the system. I had ordered one in the past, but didn't get around to installing it, so I sold it. I ordered another one and this time it'll definitely get installed on the car. Here's where I got mine. https://www.idparts.com/mann-provent-200-ccv-filter-3931070550-p-2334.html

Then with any luck the car will be ready for a May 22nd or 23rd track day at Road America. (y) :):love:

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
killer build!

i hope you get it going for the start of this year's season. would love to see (and hear) some more action. love your commitment and positive attitude, even when dealing with less than acceptable workmanship. lets all hope for some uneventful days at the track and i was just curious if you usually ride along/navigate or just sometimes.

thanks for sharing!

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
killer build!

i hope you get it going for the start of this year's season. would love to see (and hear) some more action. love your commitment and positive attitude, even when dealing with less than acceptable workmanship. lets all hope for some uneventful days at the track and i was just curious if you usually ride along/navigate or just sometimes.

thanks for sharing!
Thanks! It's a love hate relationship with the car. 🤣 Of course I love it when the car's running the way it's supposed to and ripping down the track, but I hate it when things go wrong with the car and it has to get repaired, which usually takes longer than it should. :cry:😠
On the plus side I always build it bigger, faster, and/or stronger so hopefully that component won't fail again. Instead we usually find the next weakest part in the car. I really hope at this point everything is going to hold together for quite some time and it's just regular maintenance to deal with.

The only time that I'm not in the car is when it's being taken on a test drive or something like that where it's more effort than it's worth to transfer me into the car, since it takes 2 pretty strong individuals or 3 normal people to transfer me into or out of the car. Otherwise I'm normally riding shotgun.

The catch can, flange and TIP have finally arrived, so everything is hopefully on the home stretch after the downpipe gets modified for the new flange to get welded on. Unfortunately the 90 degree silicone reducing elbow didn't get packed with the 3" TIP, so I had to order one last night. Luckily the place I ordered the 3" to 2.25" (76mm to 57mm) elbow had it in stock and should arrive Wednesday. At least Profidiesel is going to reimburse me for the one I had to order.

Of course who doesn't love pictures. :)

I'm sure they'll be more frequent updates as things get closer to the track day.(y)

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
It took me a little bit longer to post an update than I would have liked, but it's been a bit hectic around here lately.

A big part of it is due to losing my partner in crime, my golden retriever that just turned 8 on May 3rd passed away from an aneurysm last Saturday. He went everywhere with me pretty much, since he was trained as a service dog ever since we got him as a puppy. He kept me going everyday and was the reason I went for walks or explored the area we live in Wisconsin. He was definitely the right dog for where we live, since we're just about completely surrounded by water, so he loved to go swimming anytime the bay wasn't frozen over. 🤣

I know a some of you got to meet him, whether it was at one of my get togethers or at TDIFest 2016, I know he always enjoyed meeting everyone and was always up for going for a ride in my car.

Now for some updates on the car.

I stopped by the buddy that was working on the car back on April 18th to check on the progress of the car. Things were moving forward with getting the flange welded onto the downpipe for the new turbo setup.

The 3" TIP got installed. I wish I had a better picture.

Here are some of the remaining parts that are going to get installed at https://www.kellymoss.com/

Kelly Moss has an absolutely incredible shop and race department. Here are some of cars they had in their shop/race department when we dropped my car off after I picked it up on May 8th from my buddy, since 99% of the TDI related work was done.

They have some monster brakes on their race cars.😲

This was taken a week before Skittles passed away.:cry:

I'll see if I can get them to snap a few pictures as they finalize a few things with the car.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Somewhat of an update. Sadly the transmission had to get pulled again due to the transmission not going into 6th gear and I'm not willing to take a chance that there's something broken off in the transmission that could end up taking out the rest of the gears and the Wavetrac LSD that's in there too.

The trans is getting sent to: http://www.fferacing.com/ in New York. If you're in the area and looking for a shop to work on your car, definitely check them out, since they're able to do a heck of a lot more than repair transmissions.

While it's out of the car, I'm going to have them install a few upgrades to beef up the transmission to hopefully prevent any more issues with the transmission in the future.

To upgrade the USP Motorsports 1-2 and 3-4 Steel Shift forks I'm having Bronze Sliders for O2M & O2Q steel shift forks installed to replace the factory plastic ones that wear out over time.

Then to reinforce the input shaft I'm have a Billet Shaft 02M & 02Q gearbox installed to aid in the strength of the input shaft, so it doesn't cause any problems with the gears being separated under high load.

Another part that I'm having installed is a Spigot bearing for 02M & 02Q gearbox

The final upgrade being done in the transmission is a SQS Racing 5th/6th gear reinforcement arm to hopefully alleviate any future problems with 5th or 6th gear.

Some other upgrades that I considered were the Transitional support 4th gear transmission 02M & 02Q but wasn't too keen on having to create a hole in the transmission housing to install this 4th gear support and then have to worry about adjusting it every so often.

Similar idea with this next 02M & 02Q Gearbox Reinforcement Plate Kit that would require drilling 4 holes in the transmission housing to install it.

These next three upgrades are just cost prohibitive for just a fun track car that doesn't get raced. Granted I'm sure some of them would help improve lap times. 🤣
From SQS Racing, they offer a 3rd-6th syncro gear upgrade that uses your factory 1st and 2nd and they also the same thing, but it would be a Dog Box 02M/02Q (MQ350) SYNCHRO (02Q SYNCHRO BOOST) or 02M/Q (MQ350) DOG-SYNCHRO BOX

Another one of the upgrades is the Bar-Tek DOG Box gearkit for 02M & 02Q gearbox

FFE Racing also offers a 02m 6 speed Dog box kit and I believe they're the only one in the US to do so.

Fingers crossed that there isn't anything major going on in the transmission, so they can fix what's wrong with the trans, install the upgrades, and ship it back to Wisconsin so they can finish up my car before the end of August.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
In case anyone else has this problem with their O2M, here's what FFE Racing discovered was going on with my transmission.

"I was installing the new parts (shaft insert, 5/6 fork upgrade and shifter arm inserts) and when I installed your shifter mechanism, I noticed the issue. I am going to pull a shift our of another trans and test it in yours. I will report back later today."

Their reply later on that day.
"It in fact was a bent shift mechanism that was causing the issue with 5/6. We had a good condition used one as oem was almost $400.

The brass fork ends were installed. One had to be modified to clear reverse as it was rubbing when all assembled.

The 5/6 upgraded fork arm was installed. This took a good amount of clearance to shift correctly between 5th and 6th,. The detent are was too large and caused it to be very hard to shift between the 2 gears.

The input shaft support was machined down and installed into the shaft. It was then tig welded into place."

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
The following posts are from greengeeker.
While this car is a compilation of OEM components when it comes to installing just about anything onto the car you end up having to modify or fabricate many things to get them to fit.
One such example is the skidplate. While this might normally take <1hr to install a panzer plate on a normal car, I had to fabricate a new mount for the right side since the FMIC had the pipe trying to occupy the same space as all the available mounts currently offered by the many vendors.
The car also has an 034 poly dogbone setup which also meant the skid plate did not clear that bracket without some delrin bushings on the rear of the plate.

HI,

Great story on the build.

I have the same skid plate as you on your car (mine is a jetta tho) but I have a fair amount of open space around the skid plate ... where did you get the "filler" (the black pieces in front of and around the skid plate)?

I'm guessing custom cut ? if so where did you get the material from?

Thanks

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
HI,

Great story on the build.

I have the same skid plate as you on your car (mine is a jetta tho) but I have a fair amount of open space around the skid plate ... where did you get the "filler" (the black pieces in front of and around the skid plate)?

I'm guessing custom cut ? if so where did you get the material from?

Thanks
Thanks!

The extra filler comes from the car being originally a 2004 R32 that comes with a different bumper from the factory. You could probably buy them seperate or finding a R32 in your area that's at a pick n pull to get what you need from. If they weren't so big you might be able to buy what you need from someone parting out a R32 and have them ship you the pieces, but shipping is going to be pricey.

Can look on ECS Tuning to find part numbers of what you're looking for.
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-R32_MKIV--3.2/Exterior/Body/
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-R32_MKIV--3.2/Exterior/Body/Belly_Pan/
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-R32_MKIV--3.2/Exterior/Body/Front_Bumper/

Good luck and hope you can make something work.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry for the lack of updates over the past 6 months, but there wasn't too much to post up about until now.

My car is finally back at our shop waiting for some final tweaks to the W/M system, ECU tune, get an alignment done, and fit the new wheels and tires. Everything is going to have to wait until the snow melts here in Wisconsin and we get at least one decent rain shower to clean the salt off of the roads.

If anyone is close to the Green Bay, WI area and would be up for running some logs to help dial in the tune and how the W/M kit works in conjunction with the tune would be amazing!

There really isn't too much as far as pictures go, since not a ton of stuff changed that's new to the car besides the W/M kit, catch can, and there's now a different battery in the car.
Here are the 2 pictures I have.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I know it's been a little while since I posted here, but it's taken me a bit longer than I would have liked to pull the little bit of video footage we got from the micro SD card and uploaded it to my computer. Then of course taking the time to upload it onto YouTube and edit it, so there isn't huge "dead" spots at the beginning and end of the clip.

I finally got it uploaded last weekend and have some time right now, since it's 87° right now with a feel like temp of 90°. Since I no longer sweat after my accident, I have to play it smart and either stay inside or have someone around that can help pour water over my shirt and wrap ice in a Gatorade towel to put around my neck. So today, I'm staying in. 🤣

Onto the track day...things went pretty well for us getting there on time, but we forgot to get a wrist band saying that it was ok for me to ride in the car. So we only got 2 laps in on the 1st session, which is when the video was taken.

We came back in checked everything over and it just needed so more boost juice for the W/M kit.

We were taking it fairly easy during the 2nd session, with some decent pulls here and there, but nothing like when cylinder 4 went on us while we were pushing the car really hard that day.
Unfortunately after we got back from our 2nd session, my driver noticed a tiny bit of coolant coming out the head gasket, along with a tiny amount of oil that could have been coming from the bottom of the catch can. 🤷‍♂️

Fingers crossed that we can get those issues figured out and find a way to prevent them from happening again.

I'm also finally getting my Pioneering Performance GTB2260VKLR installed on my Jetta, so once that's dialed in, I could use it while the RTDI is getting fixed.

Finally onto the pictures and video.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Coolant and oil around the head gasket area doesn't sound fun at all. There's always something to fix in a car, doesn't matter if it's a commuter or a race car :rolleyes:
I once told my dad that my car seemed to use quite a bit of oil and his response was that it's when they don't use oil one should be worried :LOL:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Coolant and oil around the head gasket area doesn't sound fun at all. There's always something to fix in a car, doesn't matter if it's a commuter or a race car :rolleyes:
I once told my dad that my car seemed to use quite a bit of oil and his response was that it's when they don't use oil one should be worried :LOL:
Nope, it's never good when you have those 2 things coming out of your engine. 😟

That's true, there's always something to fix or maintain on a car.

I guess that all depends on your perspective and which vehicle you own. Our gas and diesel vehicles are going to "use" oil, whereas an EV isn't going to use any oil. 😉

tdi_my live

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia
The car is really smoking. But your tuner still has a lot to do with the software or will it stay that way?

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
The car is really smoking. But your tuner still has a lot to do with the software or will it stay that way?
No, the car is still needing some tweaking on the tune, since I completely agree with you that the tune is way too smokie in its current state.
So, yep I plan on working on dialing in the tune once the car is all sorted out and the current issues are fixed.

How did I miss this thread? That's an awesome car and all. Solid 🔥
Thanks! I appreciate the compliment! 👍😊

tdi_my live

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia
If you can flash the ECU yourself, I am ready to help you tune the software. I've already coordinated some PD conversions and know myself quite well in the EDC15.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
If you can flash the ECU yourself, I am ready to help you tune the software. I've already coordinated some PD conversions and know myself quite well in the EDC15.
I appreciate the offer to help me tune the car. Right now I have a friend looking into a tiny leak coming from the head gasket and we couldn't tell where it was coming from, but there's a tiny oil leak that we need to track down.
Once those issues are sorted out, I can get in touch with you on what is needed to flash the ECU, since I already have a VCDS for getting logs.