RTDI Part 2

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Here is another update from Nick.

Lots going on with the car. Had to spend some time getting this aftermarket bumper to fit somewhat well. Then dropped it off with a body shop to fine tune the fit, mount and paint.

Needed to get that done so I could drop the car off for exhaust. Then we can get going on the tune.

Fuel fill opening has been opened up and now working on the fuel sender(s). Apparently the car is only able to draw from one of the sumps and the fuel gauge is terribly inaccurate.

Gauge wiring is all back together. Another interesting endeavor where gauges were cross wires (three wires for a boost gauge...two of them going to the boost gauge and one of them going to a oil pressure gauge) and thermocouples were in the wrong pins for the gauge. That and it was an absolute rat's nest behind the gauges....untidy wiring stresses me out! Next is to find out if I can get the oil pressure and thermocouple adapter in there with the routing of the a/c lines and radiator hoses trying to occupy the same space. I'll snap some pictures of the gauge installation once it is all complete.

Rubbing boost hoses/pipes are fitting properly where I have room to make a difference. On the front of the motor it is just so tight there isn't much I can do to avoid the pipe from contacting something.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Fitment looks spot on. Where was this bumper purchased through?
To get the fitment to get as good as it is, it took greengeeker a couple of hours of fiddling with it and the body shop spent some time on it as well. So it was far from perfect right from the start.

Here's where I got that rear bumper. http://www.optikwerks.com/

Link to that exact bumper. http://www.optikwerks.com/Golf4/RLineWithout/index.html

If I could have a do over...I'd have ordered that same style bumper from SRS-TEC. Just to forewarn people...SRS-TEC is out of Germany, so shipping will be quite expensive due to the size of the box they have to ship it in. If I remember right, it would've cost more to ship it than the price of the bumper.:eek: But I've heard that their parts fit quite a bit better than Optiwerks stuff, so lesson learned on going the cheaper route for replacement body panels.:(
http://srs-tec.de/cars/VW/Golf-IV/Rear-Diffuser-R-Style-Clean-VW-Golf-IV::280.html

Right now I just want it finished so I can enjoy it and take it to the track to open it up and see what she can do.:D

FLASH1970

TDI
2001 GOLF GLS
this is a very cool build. one ive wondered if anyone had tried. cuz, well, front wheel drive sucks. I read the rear bumper was changed due to soot, which is a bummer because it looked nice. but why get rid of the seats? weight im guessing. all the cool R parts are being removed.

One thing that got mentioned is that they have windows looking out into the shop from the waiting area, so you can see them working on your car if you have the time.
this could be hilarious... or scary if the mechanics are the tool throwing four letter word screaming type.

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
this is a very cool build. one ive wondered if anyone had tried. cuz, well, front wheel drive sucks. I read the rear bumper was changed due to soot, which is a bummer because it looked nice. but why get rid of the seats? weight im guessing. all the cool R parts are being removed.

this could be hilarious... or scary if the mechanics are the tool throwing four letter word screaming type.
There has been one other RTDI before this one and there are a few Audi TT TDIs out there as well.

Yeah, I changed out the rear bumper due to the amount of soot and grime that had accumulated on the rear bumper and hatch. I really wish I had taken a picture of how bad it was.:eek: Plus as soon as the gas engine was replaced with a TDI, it was no longer an R32 in my eyes.

The seats got sold due to the fact that they were less than ideal to run harnesses with. I plan on taking it to the track, so I'm replacing the seats with something lighter and seats that'll accept harnesses.

This was far from the most ideal car to save as a pristine example of an R32. There are so many mods done to the car even before the engine swap, that it wouldn't have made much sense to all the .:R parts on/in the car. Plus this way from the outside you really have no idea what version of Golf it is until it passes you in a haze of soot.:p

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
The following posts are from greengeeker.
While this car is a compilation of OEM components when it comes to installing just about anything onto the car you end up having to modify or fabricate many things to get them to fit.
One such example is the skidplate. While this might normally take <1hr to install a panzer plate on a normal car, I had to fabricate a new mount for the right side since the FMIC had the pipe trying to occupy the same space as all the available mounts currently offered by the many vendors.
The car also has an 034 poly dogbone setup which also meant the skid plate did not clear that bracket without some delrin bushings on the rear of the plate.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
greengeeker's post
As can be seen in the video posted earlier, with the help of jfettig I installed a dual gauge setup so we could monitor both boost and drive pressures. Using this, I had to make several stop screw adjustments as the car was driving like a BRM does with a worn vane mechanism (big hesitation off the line, huge smoke cloud and then she goes). Anyway, tons of tons of logs were done with many iterations of tune tried to work out the MAF-based smoke maps. (the video is showing a very early tune...final tune and stop screw adjustment were much better)
Oh, stop screw adjustments are really fun on a 4Motion car BTW. As you can see I had to remove the axle and swing the wheel assembly out to gain access to the stop screw and actuator. :cool:

I'll take the time to mention that owning a car this heavily modified will almost always guarantee you need to tinker with something...in other words, for the fun you are trading off some level of reliability. The car has left me or jfettig stranded twice and almost a 3rd time.
1) Because of the pushed back radiator and ill-fitting hoses the radiator fan eventually wore through a radiator hose, draining all the coolant.
2) I went for a test drive after installing the fluidamper to see if I could notice any difference in the vibrations. Well after only SIX miles with the damper installed (using the bolts provided, torqued per instructions) I started hearing a really gnarly clanking which was rpm-dependent. I immediately thought the worst and thought rod bearing. I popped the hood and noticed the damper was wobbling badly. I was luckily very near an Oreillys and was able to purchase the tools necessary to tighten the two bolts still remaining. Some longer bolts, loctite and lock washers and it hasn't come loose since.
3) With the front and rear locked differentials every bit of power is put to the ground. I haven't been able to get the tires to slip whatsoever. Well when testing out a particularly strong tune I noticed a very sudden change in engine vibration at certain speeds. I quickly limped back to the shop to find that the the car had ripped the threads out of the engine mount. Helicoiled and she seems to be holding strong.

I'm VERY HAPPY this occurred AFTER I had installed the Panzer plate. Another benefit of a skid plate...prevents your engine from dropping out of the engine bay. :D

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
From other thread.
A critical step that needed to be completed was hood pins for the non-OEM, CF hood.
Since you are locking down the front of the hood with very little adjustment step 1 is to align your hood as perfectly as you can before starting! I nearly missed this step but caught myself before drilling the first hole (measure eight times, cut once applies here).

Eric also had me install some incredibly comfortable race seats and harnesses. I never imagined these seats would be as comfortable for someone bigger than a 32" waist but you can drive all day long in these Recaros. Worth the money IMO.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Last one.
Well, I'm not covering everything that I did with the car. That was captured in very extensive build notes sheet shared with Eric. It was a very cool experience working on this car. It gave me some insight into the upper levels of TDI performance...how much $ it takes to get there, how you have to modify each and every subsystem of the car to stand up to the rigors, and how much you rely on a small circle of capable people to keep a car like this in tip top shape. And even then you have to be prepared to shell out big $ when something breaks.
I hope Eric enjoys the car and gets it out to as many track days and GTGs as possible.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
My apologize for not updating this thread sooner:(

Photobucket embedded image fix inserted 2/7/2018.
Fix if you're using Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embedded-imag/ogipgokcopooepeipngiikdkpmcpkaon

Firefox Fix: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-fix/?src=api

Anywho, on with the updates.

With the help of greengeeker and a couple of my friends were able to get the car back to me in Sturgeon Bay at the end of September and needless to say they all really enjoyed driving the car and let me know that if I needed a place to store it for the winter they were more than happy.:D For some reason I don't think the car would stay put if I left them with the keys.;)

I snapped a few pictures of it, since it looked 10x better than when it was dropped off by greengeeker a little less than a year ago.

I was glad I got the car back when I did, since 2 weeks later I had everything setup for a track day at Road America to see how it could do with no speed limit and in a controlled environment.
Sadly the forecast called for rain starting around 11am and since they run rain or shine we made the trip. We got to the track around 7:30 with a heavy fog in the air, but no rain yet.

My driver went to the drivers meeting at 8 and unfortunately had to sit through what had to be the longest drivers meeting ever, so by the time he got out around 8:45 we still had to remove all the loose items from the car, get strapped in, and put our safety gear on. With it being our first time taking the car to the track things took longer than they should have so we ended up missing our 1st session with the intermediate group. We even tried to talk our way into the 1st session of the beginner group, just to get a feel for the car, but that fell on deaf ears and they sent us back to the pits to wait for the 2nd session.

While waiting for the 2nd session my dad and a friend showed up to help with whatever we needed. So we start getting ready for the 2nd session when it turns from a heavy fog to a light drizzle. My driver and I are thinking great...we're taking the car out for it's first laps on the track and the track is wet.:mad: The first couple of laps we took it easy to get a feel for things, as my driver got more comfortable we were passing cars here and there on the straight aways with the track going from damp to wet. For those familiar with Road America, on the carousel we had the back end step out on us a couple times while we were out there.

Session 3 had rain coming down the entire 20 minutes we were out there.

By session 4 we pretty much had the track to ourselves, since over half the guys there had called it quits for the day. The track was still quite wet when we were out there and then half way through we lost power, which I thought at the time was due to oil pressure, since the McNally gauge read ZERO! Come to find out that I forgot that the gauge wasn't hooked up, so it wasn't the lack of oil that caused our loss in power, but the MAP sensor wires had the insulation melted off and were grounding out.:( The MAP sensor wires were ran too close to the intake manifold, so they are getting zip-tied to the strut brace to keep them away from the heat.

Besides the wires getting moved, the car is getting a roll cage added at the moment to help save us if the car were to ever get in a roll over.

With the rain blocking the lens at times the videos aren't the best, but here they are.
Looking Forward
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fN6YUon5qI&t=1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK3nxew5D7E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoz-EItfchI&t=1s

The looking back view is going to be less than ideal at times, but it's some great shots of us rolling coal.;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrEXrcuuTtA&t=2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylpst6qxq-Y&t=3s

Again sorry for the delayed post, but hopefully in the future I'll do a better job of posting updates on the car.

Last edited:

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
I wondered whos golf that was at GreenGeekers place when I had my car serviced by him over the summer. Love the youtube videos of it!

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I wondered whos golf that was at GreenGeekers place when I had my car serviced by him over the summer. Love the youtube videos of it!
Yep, that was my car you saw at greengeeker's place.

Thanks! I will be doing the best I can to get some track day footage and pictures of the days events off the track, along with some pictures of some of the other cars there for the track day.

Otherwise if you live close to Road America you're more than welcome to come check the car out in person. Or better yet, you could join in on the action by signing up for the event.
Here are the two main companies that I know of that put on track days at Road America and other tracks like it in the Midwest.
http://lapstrackdays.com/

http://www.mvptracktime.com/index.html

If you're interested just send me a pm or I should get it if you post in this thread. It would be great to have more than 1 TDI at the track day.;)

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Well Steve at TechnicalDieselInnovations strikes again. This past fall there was more and more soot building up under the hood until it got really bad after we fixed the MAP sensor wiring, we took the car for a spin when a plume of soot came from under the hood. :eek:

With me using the car primarily as a track toy, I decided a roll cage would be a smart addition, so with the recommendation of a friend I took the car to Trudell Performance in Green Bay, WI. Besides the roll cage I wanted them to take a look at the exhaust leak and this is where Steve comes into the picture... they got around to removing the exhaust manifold and turbo today only to find that a few nuts were loose on the exhaust manifold to the head. Then it goes from bad to worse...when they separated the turbo from the manifold they found that the turbo gasket was installed incorrectly.:mad:

Here's one of the loose nuts.

I'm not sure how the car made 263 hp/ 414 lb-ft with the turbo gasket blocking 1/4 of the turbine wheel. :rolleyes: Well hopefully after everything is back together it'll pick up some response and overall power without covering the engine bay with soot. :D

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Nothing to major to report at this time other than Trudell Performance had the interior removed from the car for fitting the roll cage. They also pulled the turbo and manifold due to the incorrectly installed gasket and the nuts coming loose that hold the manifold to the head causing a massive exhaust leak.

They found it was easiest to pull the turbo and manifold by dropping the subframe, which made it a great time to do a few upgrades with the subframe bushings and the clamp that holds the power steering rack to the subframe.

http://www.tyrolsport.com/suspension/chassis/tyrolsport-vw-mk4-solid-subframe-bushings/

http://www.tyrolsport.com/suspension/chassis/tyrolsport-solid-steering-rack-bracket-for-mk4-vw/mk1-audi-tt/

You can see how the gasket was installed incorrectly on the turbine outlet.

Another upgrade that was made while the car was sitting this winter was a ColorMFA was installed in the cluster. It's got so many features, it's a little mind blowing. Here's the list. http://colormfa.ru/en/

If you're interested in getting one, there should be another group buy starting in June/July. You'll need to contact Matt on Facebook, who puts together the group buy and can install it for you when it arrives, which could take 3-4 months.
https://www.facebook.com/ClustersbyLitke/?ref=search

What he started with...

During install...

Finished product...

Last edited:
TDI
01 GOLF GLS TDI
Sick looking golf! [emoji1303] and agreed! Very sexy cluster [emoji7] can’t believe the gasket smh should notice a huge difference with that fixed! Can’t wait to see more when you get it back together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks!
I'm just glad that the timing worked out on getting the ColorMFA ordered way back in November and for it arriving near the end of March worked out perfect. That way while the car was getting worked on at Trudell, they could pull it and ship it to Clusters by Litke LLC for the install.

With any luck I should have some updates for you guys in the next 2 weeks. :D

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Well finally some more updates on the car.

Stage 8 hardware got installed to prevent the chance of an exhaust leak. Cool fastners I've never heard of. Go check them out at https://www.stage8.com/

Since they had to drop the subframe I had them install the solid steering rack bracket and solid subframe mounts from Tyrolsport. Yes I can see the control arm bushings are shot.
The plan is to go with IDF tubular control arms next winter.
IDF Tubular Control Arms

The plan was to take the car to Road America this past Saturday, but some unforeseen issues stopped us from being able to attend. So the shop is going to look everything over and make sure everything works as it should. They're also going to cover one of my track days coming up as a way to apologize for us missing the track day.
I'm sure you're sick of reading, so on with some more pictures.
Cupra R Lip got installed

The rear license plate finally got installed

If you look at the gas pedal, you'll notice the red pedal extension from Rennline to make it easier to heel/toe out on the track.

The roll cage is a work in progress.

Then last, but not least would be the new RS-30 Antigravity battery to replace the OEM battery that died over winter. talk about a great way to shave 40 lbs off the front of the car. Eventually it will get relocated to the hatch when the mounting kit for that battery becomes available.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Those tubular control arms look sweet!
Yeah, they are a work of art. There are some other control arms I'm considering that are even more unique looking.
Like so: https://www.epiceurotuning.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=EETMK4UACA

http://www.prorace-engineering.com/VAG-Tubular-Control-Arms-Mk4-Golf-A3-S3-TT-Race-Suspension-RACECONTROLARM.htm

And I literally just found these... http://www.urotuning.com/Fabless-Tubular-Control-Arms-Poly-Mk4-VW-p/28-4100.htm

Then to really stiffen up the front end you could replace your stock subframe with either of these.
http://www.prorace-engineering.com/VAG-Tubular-Sub-Frame-MK4-TT-R32-S3-TSFMK4.htm
http://www.innfab.com/store.html#!/VW-MK4-Tubular-Subframe/p/59788068/category=0

The downfall IMO is that there's no easy way to mount a skid plate on either of them. After seeing all the scraps on the DG skid plate on my Jetta after close to 10 years, there's no way I would run a MK4 without one. I'm sure if you had the time and tools you could fab something up.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking for some help to resolve why my car won't go into reverse, but will go into all the other gears just fine.
For those not familiar the transmission is a 6 speed FEL 4 Motion out of a MKIV Golf/Bora TDI(diesel) over in Europe.
So if there's anything you can think of feel free to post it up. TIA

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I figure I'd update the thread on what is going on with the car. The guys at Trudell Performance were able to figure out what was causing the car not to go into reverse and that would be some melted shifter cables. :( We came to the conclusion that with the turbo manifold loosening up, it was spewing hot exhaust gases right on to the shift cables, causing the protective plastic coating to melt making the shifter cables stiff and not letting the cables inside move as freely as they should.

With the help of Chris at Korwerks LLC he was able to get me a new to me set of shifter cables for an amazing price, so hit him up and see if he can help you out with your TDI needs. https://www.facebook.com/AWDTDI/?ref=br_tf He's also selling the back half of MK4 AWD cars, so if you're looking for a way to turn your FWD car into an AWD car he's your man. :)

I decided that with the shifter box and cables out of the car it would be a good opportunity to upgrade to the Sigma 6 Six Speed Short Shift Kit and eliminate any slop in the shifter with Dieselgeek's Deluxe MK4 Shifter Bushing Kit
Talk about having some precise shifts. :D

I should have some pictures to post coming up in the next few weeks as things finally wrap up and we can get the car on the road and on the track real soon.

TDI
01 GOLF GLS TDI
Glad you got it figured out![emoji1316] Two steps forward and one step back hehe [emoji12] Keep up the good work. She’s turning into a thing of beauty [emoji7] amazed at what’s been done so far! [emoji1303][emoji41] if I could achieve half of what’s been done [emoji736] I’d be a happy man! [emoji51] I know a lot of people talk about doing stuff like this... but you’re making it happen [emoji57] living the dream for us all ??

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad you got it figured out![emoji1316] Two steps forward and one step back hehe [emoji12] Keep up the good work. She’s turning into a thing of beauty [emoji7] amazed at what’s been done so far! [emoji1303][emoji41] if I could achieve half of what’s been done [emoji736] I’d be a happy man! [emoji51] I know a lot of people talk about doing stuff like this... but you’re making it happen [emoji57] living the dream for us all ??

Thanks :D Yeah, with this car it sure seems that way where you figure out one thing only to have something else come up. :mad: It makes me regret not getting the exhaust manifold ceramic coated this spring while it was out of the car. :(

The only way to prevent that from happening in the future is by putting some protective sleeves over the shift cables and putting on a turbo blanket.
https://www.deipowersports.com/products/thermal-sleeving/ultra-sheath-ma
https://www.deipowersports.com/products/component-specific-products/titanium-turbo-shield

It's been more of a project than I bargained for, but it's turning out the way I want it and there's more to come in the future. :D

If you (or anyone that can drive stick) find your way up near Green Bay, WI and the car isn't either in storage for the winter or under the knife, then we could go and take it for a spin. :cool:

TDI
01 GOLF GLS TDI
[emoji41] No doubt! I’m down south... the Deep South lol, but just got back today from Washington DC and was only a month or so ago went up to Pittsburgh. So I’m not afraid to venture [emoji12] have to put it on my bucket list! Will hit you up for sure if I make it up that way [emoji57]

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, things are starting to come together for the car. With the battery that came no longer willing to take a charge, I went with a lightweight Lithium Ion battery from Antigravity Batteries and got their RS-30 that only weighs 11.5 lbs and with their RS-30 Battery Tray weighs a total of 13.5 lbs :eek:

With me being in a wheelchair, I need a way to bring it with to the events, so last year I purchased a 5x9 all aluminum enclosed trailer from http://www.blizzardmfg.com/ this way I can load it up with my chair, tools, extra set of wheels, jack, cooler, spare parts, etc and not have to worry about it getting wet or stolen.
For whatever reason I haven't taken a picture of my trailer, but it's like the trailer below, but in a dark blue that matches my Galactic Blue Jetta.

My plan was to have a friend drive my Jetta towing the trailer and me and my friend that were signed up would be in the RTDI. I soon realized that I might not always be able to find someone to drive the Jetta, so I needed to come up with a way to tow the trailer with RTDI. I thought that I was going to have to have something custom fabricated, since I thought what are the odds that a company out there makes a hitch for an AWD MKIV Golf... low and behold Westfalia in the UK makes a towbar as they call it for my car!
After doing some searching around for places that would ship one to the US, I was able to work with the guys at Darkside Developments on getting it shipped over here.
Here's how it looks installed without the bumper cover in place.

Add the swan neck to the hitch, hook up the trailer lights, and you're all set to tow :D

Link to the hitch/towbar for those that might be interested in getting one for their car.
https://www.westfalia-automotive.com/se/en/vaara-produkter/towbar/vw-golf-iv-variant-4-motion/305277600001-438/

Then last but not least, after discovering that the shift cables needed to be replaced, I figured it would be a good time to upgrade to the Dieselgeek Sigma 6 short shift kit. It sure is a shame that these magnificent looking parts are hidden under the hood of the car, so I took some pictures of them before they got installed.

With any luck the car should be ready to go in the next couple of weeks.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
We need to get Fred to add a "Like" button to the Forums...
I agree, it would be nice if we could like posts and threads. :) A few more Smilies would be another nice addition, especially with the slew of emojis that are available on smartphones nowadays. ;)

The shift cables are getting the finishing touches and they're protected by Heat Sheath - Aluminized Sleeving from DEI to prevent any future problems with the shift cables getting to hot. You can't really see it in the following picture, but it does capture the new Dieselgeek Sigma 6 short shift kit.

On other news, I couldn't help myself since they were on sale and still are until the 8th of July, but I purchased a set of Epic Euro Tuning Ultra Adjustable Control Arms. :D I was going to hold off until this next winter, but I saw how amazing the price was and had to purchase a set, since I didn't know if I was going to see them this low when I was ready to order them this fall.
Here's what I ordered: MK4 Ultra Adjustable Control Arms
They also have a more basic option as well: MK4 Control Arms

Depending on when I get them, I may go ahead and install them this summer still, otherwise it'll be a winter project. If they do get installed, I'll report back with how they perform.
Some teaser shots of the control arms(All credit of the pictures goes to Epic Euro Tuning)