RTDI Part 2

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
I personally liked the stock rear bumper way better, especially since it's an R, but to each his own.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Looking good. Was just talking to my buddy yesterday you bought the brakes from.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Great build, keep it up!
Thanks, there's always something at this stage of the build. ;)

I personally liked the stock rear bumper way better, especially since it's an R, but to each his own.
The problem with the R rear bumper is that the soot swirls around behind the car and covers the hatch in soot and looks horrible. With the new rear bumper and turn down exhaust, it'll stay nice and clean. :D

I should have taken a picture of the hatch when Fran got back with the car after the 1200+ mile trip with the car. It was horrible! The hatch was covered in soot and some raw diesel, since the filler neck didn't get replaced and Fran spilled diesel as he was filling the car.
That right there convinced me to do something different with the rear bumper.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree. Not a fan of the way he wants it done. Takes away from the R32
The thing is that as soon as the TDI engine went into the car, it's no longer an R32, but an RTDI; )

Looking good. Was just talking to my buddy yesterday you bought the brakes from.
Thanks and I'm hoping to get the front brakes on soon, so we can bleed the brakes and see how they perform :)

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm going to redo the engine harness in the RTDI, but I've been informed that I need an additional portion to the harness that a member has pulled for me, so if you could help me out with what the additional wiring I need would be great :)

Here's what is removed so far.

Thanks in advance for any help ;)

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
The injectors got upgraded to the Race PD injectors with Firad +120% nozzles on them.

First though we had to bleed the brakes and get a drivers seat in the car, we had to use the seats that were out of my Jetta, while I source some Recaro Sporster CS seats, so my friend could drive it to his shop, where he's got his own lift and knows exactly where his tools are.

The injectors just need to be adjusted with a dial indicator before the car can be started and the tune can be updated.

So if anyone is interested in the BEW injectors with +80% Firad nozzles on the injectors, let me know ;)

Here are a few pictures of the car outside the shop and a few at my friends shop.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Nothing too huge to report, other than the "Race" PD injectors with +120% Firad nozzles on them went in last week and I was able to sell my stock hood, so it gave me a good reason to put the carbon fiber one on :)

I'm struggling with the TD Tuning Loader I bought on here, so I'm figuring out as I go with the guidance of Mike has been great. A lot of it had to do with my laptop with Windows 8.1 not loading the driver for the program. Took it home to my Windows 7 desktop and it loaded it just fine. grrr

I have to remove the current tune that is on the loader and then load the one from my car to the loader and have Mike modify it in time for a September 12th dyno day :eek:

There's nothing exciting about pictures of injectors, but I did snap a few pictures of the Eurogear Carbon Fiber Notchless hood. The fitment of the hood is pretty great. It just needs some minor tweaking to get it centered left to right, so the hinges need to have the holes ovalized just a little bit for it to be perfect.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I like pictures of injectors. :)

Just sent my spare BHW head off to get ported. Got my darkside manifold in as well.

DieselDork

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW
I'm gonna find me a Haldex and make a 4 door RTDi. Some day....some day. Looking forward to seeing that smile on your face at WOT!!!

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm gonna find me a Haldex and make a 4 door RTDi. Some day....some day. Looking forward to seeing that smile on your face at WOT!!!
That's exactly what I...well maybe still wanna do to my Jetta, but the RTDI will do for now, but never say never on doing an AWD build on my Jetta.:D

I'll keep an eye out for your build. Just need to find that right AWD car to be able to cut the entire rear section from and your good to go.;)

DieselDork

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW
Sweet. Thanks! I've seen some guys just relocate the gas tank to the trunk in order to allow for the Haldex setup. I might do that to save a lot of labor.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Just a small update on the car. The new PD injectors with +120% nozzles are in the car and working on tuning the car for the new nozzles.

On a somewhat related note,I was able to stop by one of my sponsors 3Zero3 Motorsports while I was out in Denver for some more physical therapy at Craig Hospital.

They specialize in european vehicles and when I asked about TDIs, they mentioned that they service them as well with a mechanic that has TDI certification.

Anyways here are some pictures of their waiting area and shop.

And last but not least a super nice Bentley:eek:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
That does look like a nice shop.

The RS6....wowza!
Yeah, they had a nice and clean shop.

One thing that got mentioned is that they have windows looking out into the shop from the waiting area, so you can see them working on your car if you have the time.

Some progress was made this past weekend...the new Racing Brake front brake kit went on.

We're still going through some issues with getting the car tuned properly, so The decision was made to ship it to JFettig to get things ironed out.

Anyways here are a few pics of the front brakes installed.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Nothing to report at the moment. The weather hasn't really been all that cooperative to bring the car out yet.:(

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
I heard there is a TDI fest in your neck of the woods this fall...sounds like you have a deadline on this car now...

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I heard there is a TDI fest in your neck of the woods this fall...sounds like you have a deadline on this car now...
To be honest the car might go on the back burner to make sure that TDIFest goes off without a hitch.:(
If I can find some time, then there might be some more progress with the car, but not as much as I would probably like there to be...

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Is it still wiring that's the hold up?
That's holding us up a little bit, but I'm also short on the money for getting the rear bumper fitted and painted along with purchasing some decent seats for the track.

So as funds become available, the car will get worked on a little bit at a time.;)

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Well finally some progress on the car. I'm getting some help from greengeeker to get things cleaned up and running properly. Here's what he posted in my other thread in the Conversion section.

When I saw Eric's car at 2016 TDIFEST with very little progress having been made I told him to haul it over to my shop and we could get it finally finished. Having driven my TDI Ranger over to Sturgeon Bay I was ready to rent a trailer and just haul it back but we decided to wait.
Anyway, she's now at my place getting all the little odds and ends fixed so we can retune the car with a Malone tune.

The wiring is pretty rough and needed quite a bit of attention...

Once I'm done with that I'll need to address this ill-fitting charge air pipe kit which seems to be rubbing just about anywhere there is a chance to rub:

More to come.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Another update:D

Well besides fixing the mess under the hood my first order of business was to figure out why the N75 didn't have power to it. I tracked it down and the fuel pump relay wasn't being triggered (which sends power to a number of fuses and eventually to the N75). Whoever wired the swap initially knew this since they did several things to unsuccessfully get around it... They wired around fuse 34 (literal cut wires at the fuse block and strung new wires all over the car) and installed a new fuel pump relay in the back of the car going to what used to be an added in fuel pump (now missing).

Well to figure out the wiring I had to go back to the wiring diagrams and really understand how the BEW and BJS (3.2 VR6) connectors compared:

Surprisingly there is quite a bit in common between the the two harnesses with the only major differences in how the fuel pump and/or power relays are triggered.
Here are the two side by side with a color coded column between the two denoting where they are same (green cell) and where they are different (orange). Should be noted that for a few of the different rows, it doesn't matter since they aren't using the same wires for two different purposes.

After digging around and doing some research I figured out that I could install the same power relay(100) in place of the smart fuel pump relay (409) and it would operate perfectly.

So I guess that I've found out is that to swap a BEW into a mk4 R32, all you need to do is swap over the engine bay harnesses, plug them into the same color connectors and replace the fuel pump relay with a dumb relay.
Here are some shots I grabbed during the fun which I thought were pretty cool and as an engineer I can appreciate the amount of engineering hours went into the design of this part.