Fog light bulb replacement?

Coffeemade

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Prem
So today UPS is delivering my new yellow fog lights.....but I don't know how to get to where the bulbs are....does anyone know? If so please post I would greatly appreciate a how to :)

Niner

duplicate account, banned
So today UPS is delivering my new yellow fog lights.....but I don't know how to get to where the bulbs are....does anyone know? If so please post I would greatly appreciate a how to :)
Are you talking about fog lights, or fog light bulbs? I bet vortex has a fog light i install how to, for folks with the Se model that wanted fog light added... I remember seeing it, because of compu talking about the funky relay system on the kit, and parts being backordered, maybe it was the switch on backorder?

Of course, bulb install would be an un install of the whole fog light assembly to get at the bulbs... but don't you have aiming motors on your version too, and more wiring on an SEL?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
???

SELs do not have leveling motors and he already has fog lights installed - just trying to replace the lamps with different ones.

Coffeemade

Veteran Member
TDI
Bulbs, just bulbs. SELs don't have leveling motors, I think they have cornering lights or something like that, but I guess i will find out when I go to swap them out. I haven't been able to find anything on this other than a list of parts for the install. Oh maybe via the fender well has an access.....now with my car lowered it is kinda a pain to get underneath the car. Hopefully this weekend I will figure it out.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The "cornering lights" just turn on the fog light on the side that you're turing towards. It uses the steering angle sensor to determine which light to turn on. You'll also notice that the cornering lights fade up and down so they're not distracting.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I thought there was a blurb in the owners manual on how to replace the bulbs. There is a section in the back half that talks about the lights and how to access them for replacement. I believe the fog's along with the DRL's are accessed via the wheel well.

Coffeemade

Veteran Member
TDI
Didn't realize that it is a fog light and then a reflector. It was easy to remove the grill, but putting it back it the clips where a pain the but to reinstall. Don't remove the grill to install fog lights just take the 2 bottom screws of the wheel well cover and then the fog lights are very easy to access.

I will post pictures tomorrow, hopefully

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
The "cornering lights" just turn on the fog light on the side that you're turing towards. It uses the steering angle sensor to determine which light to turn on. You'll also notice that the cornering lights fade up and down so they're not distracting.
I totally had a Candid Camera moment with this feature this evening. I made a left turn into my driveway and stopped halfway in to put the trash can in the garage. I turn around to come back to the car and in horror notice that my right fog lamp bulb was out with the car less than a month old.

But then I realized that I hadn't turned on my fog lights. The left light had come on because I was turning left. I got in and straightened the steering wheel and it went off.

That's pretty nifty.

Coffeemade

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah I think if I saw the way the passat reacted when the steering wheel turns and didn't know I would tell someone hey your bulb is out.....