Porting Wastegate on KP39 Turbo

Odenmac

TDI
2005 Golf TDI BEW
Hey guys, I'm new to the TDI scene, just bought my '05 golf in August.

I'm looking to get a stage 2 Malone tune on her, aiming for around 160whp or so, but as stated on Malone's website these KP39 turbos that came stock to the BEW engines have boost creep issues.

Thus because of this I'm trying to think of solutions, I'm not really looking to drop $1000+ on a new turbo because it's really not in my price range.

So I've been looking into porting the Wastegate on the KP39 turbo, I haven't been able to find any in-depth schematics so I don't even know for myself if it's possible, and if the gains would be able to reach my goal.

Any info would be great guys, thanks!

1.4TDI PD

TDI
2.5TDI V6, 3.3TDI V8,3.0TDI V6,1.9TDI PD100
If you have egr delete you could use egr flange on the exhaust manifold to plumb an external wastegate to help bypass the exhaust gases away from the turbo

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
This is the worst turbo we received on a VW diesel in NA, if it's coming off there's not much point putting another one back on to be honest unless you get it cheap. 160-165whp is about the limit of a 1749VB, would go for a gtb1756 + nozzles or a gtd1752 if you're looking for more than that.

Expect to set aside the purchase price of the vehicle for modifications and potential repairs, they're getting to that age where cam and injector replacement isn't uncommon.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
So, if you're looking for 160HP, that's the stage 4 tune, right? (What I have)

Forget about the KP39 turbo. It'll blow up like a grenade with that power. I was using my stock turbo with a stage 1.5 tune and it now has major axial play. It was probably about to fail when I changed it for a VNT-17 (Garrett GT1749VB).

Also, don't even bother unless an upgraded clutch is part of your budget. The stock clutch will barely even handle a mild tune. It'll probably be slipping within a month if you play with the extra power a lot.

If you definitely don't want to replace the turbo and the clutch, then my suggestion is get a Malone stage 1 tune. It'll make the car a little more fun, and you can save up for a better turbo and clutch later. Malone will upgrade your tune for a reasonable price after you have made the necessary modifications to support more power (that has been my experience).

Odenmac

TDI
2005 Golf TDI BEW
So, if you're looking for 160HP, that's the stage 4 tune, right? (What I have)

Forget about the KP39 turbo. It'll blow up like a grenade with that power. I was using my stock turbo with a stage 1.5 tune and it now has major axial play. It was probably about to fail when I changed it for a VNT-17 (Garrett GT1749VB).

Also, don't even bother unless an upgraded clutch is part of your budget. The stock clutch will barely even handle a mild tune. It'll probably be slipping within a month if you play with the extra power a lot.

If you definitely don't want to replace the turbo and the clutch, then my suggestion is get a Malone stage 1 tune. It'll make the car a little more fun, and you can save up for a better turbo and clutch later. Malone will upgrade your tune for a reasonable price after you have made the necessary modifications to support more power (that has been my experience).
Yeah, I'm not really looking to take on a huge project as this car is my daily driver, will look into a stage 1 tune thanks for the help guys!