bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI - sold at 350k,2009 TDI -sold back to VW 9/29/17 225k, 2015 TDI SE
Thanks wasn't sure that was for the mk6 Jetta too.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Mk6 jetta is a hodgepodge it is going to be a mystery until you get in the controlers and see for yourself.

Seeing the controllers for the EA288 should be similar it should work, but again this is hidden in the ABS controller and that may be MK7/MQB only.

Angus1

TDI
'15 GSW TDI 6MT
I forgot about this thread. I installed the kerma 1+ tune. I'm pretty happy. But want more. So it appears that they have the cr190 turbo issues ironed out. So I ordered one. Stay tuned.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I forgot about this thread. I installed the kerma 1+ tune. I'm pretty happy. But want more. So it appears that they have the cr190 turbo issues ironed out. So I ordered one. Stay tuned.
How was the turbo issue ironed out?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If only Kerma could enlighten us!

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I would have ordered a CR190 fitted with 56mm compressor wheel from xman turbos...just saying :)

If that was available at the time (or I had thought to inquire about it), I would have gone that route vs GTD1752vrk. I'm still happy either way!

Angus1

TDI
'15 GSW TDI 6MT
Turbo showed up last week. I was finally able to install it yesterday. I was told by kerma that vw bills 8 hrs to r&r a turbo. It took my every bit of 8 hrs to get it done in my friends auto shop. I think it would've been easier and taken less time to pull the engine/trans and just done it on the floor. I contacted kerma today, I'm told a new tune should be in my inbox this week. I'd like to get it on a dyno when its tuned, but right now my butt dyno without the proper tune says there Is a slight bump in power. I'll post again after the software is in.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
how is the DMF shudder?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
interesting to see what the dyno numbers show under 2200 RPMs.

Angus1

TDI
'15 GSW TDI 6MT
Tune arrived in my in box today. I'll likely be at work till early in the morning, so any install and butt dyno runs will have to wait till tomorrow.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
In for updates, I have been considering the CR190 because I live in Cali, need to keep my emissions equipment. Very curious about the power down low. When I reached out to Kerma they said the majority of gains would be seen up top. The only place I get to wind the car out is on the interstate and I'm going plenty fast by the time the car runs out of breath.
I would have ordered a CR190 fitted with 56mm compressor wheel from xman turbos...just saying :)

If that was available at the time (or I had thought to inquire about it), I would have gone that route vs GTD1752vrk. I'm still happy either way!
I had all but taken a turbo upgrade off the table but this moves me in the other direction. Any additional info?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
It's plug and play, oil feed and return are the same. Only thing needed are the TIP and compressor outlet (silencer).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Angus1

TDI
'15 GSW TDI 6MT
Guys I'm really sorry about not keeping up with this thread. Work has been crazy with the upcoming holidays, and I'm pretty bad at keeping up with the interwebs. To start with I'm not affiliated with KERMATDI in any way shape or form. I am just a gearhead thats always looking for more POWAH!! My Car is a 15 Golf sportwagen with a 6 speed manual. I originally had a stage one plus tune from Kerma installed, was pretty happy with the power from that. But again I want more. So I did some reading and decided I'd pull the trigger on a cr190 turbo. Called Kerma and placed an order for my turbo, then asked about how long to R&R? I was told VW charges 8hrs to R&R a turbo on my car. I'm pretty good with tools, do all my own work to my small fleet of hoopties. It took me every bit of 8 hrs in a fully functional automotive shop wit a lift. It can be done in a home garage on the floor with ramps and jacks......but its gonna suck. After the install, I drove it for a while with my one plus tune and noticed an improvement in overall power but not a big one. Kerma sent me my tunes. They always send me two tunes. Last one was a 1 and 1+, this time was 3 and 3+ beta. My car really woke up. It pulls all the way to red line in the first 3 gears. But 456 it would cut out. I called Kerma and let them know about the issue. I told them it may be to hot and hitting my EGT limiter, they agreed and by days end I had two new tunes in my inbox. I loaded the new 3+ tune and am very happy with the overall performance. I think I'm gonna see what i can do to get my EGTs down and try the origanal 3+ tune and shred tires and smile. I will try my best to answer questions, but remember i'm slow to respond to the forum.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Good to know. I didn't think it would work with the air to water intercooling.

It would be interesting to get that car on a dyno.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
It would be interesting to get that car on a dyno.
They work REALLY well, zero compromise in bottom end just amplified torque everywhere. Kind of hard to justify for ~15whp on stock hardware but it's stronger everywhere and torque builds just as fast with another 40lb-ft or so.

There's the odd gtd1449vz with 56mm hybrid wheels floating around as well. Good for 2-2.1 bar, better top end and reasonable EGTs. Seeing 190-200whp/330-345wtq out of them on our dyno. Stock turbo stock exhaust makes around 167-172/295-305 by comparison. 220bhp/380tq is about spot on.

My only complaint would be that they leave a bit to be desired up top, since it's still a small turbo the powerband doesn't shift at all, so it's still out of breath past 4000 whereas a big 2260 or similar will pull right till 5.

Last edited:

Angus1

TDI
'15 GSW TDI 6MT
I didnt start this thread to start a pissing match between venders. I'm pretty happy with the power my car makes. If I had to pay someone to do the work I might have a different opinion though.

Last edited:

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
They work REALLY well, zero compromise in bottom end just amplified torque everywhere. Kind of hard to justify for ~15whp on stock hardware but it's stronger everywhere and torque builds just as fast with another 40lb-ft or so.

There's the odd gtd1449vz with 56mm hybrid wheels floating around as well. Good for 2-2.1 bar, better top end and reasonable EGTs. Seeing 190-200whp/330-345wtq out of them on our dyno. Stock turbo stock exhaust makes around 167-172/295-305 by comparison. 220bhp/380tq is about spot on.

My only complaint would be that they leave a bit to be desired up top, since it's still a small turbo the powerband doesn't shift at all, so it's still out of breath past 4000 whereas a big 2260 or similar will pull right till 5.
What about the DSG or DMF shudder with that kinda power?

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
What, the CR190? I thought you guys got away from those for some reason?

jtree

TDI
2016 sportwagen TDI SE
So will the 56mm cr190 will handle high exhaust gas temps well enough? My commute climbs 4500 feet in 10 miles, the road is often empty and not patrolled so 100mph uphill helps me get home 2 or 5 minutes earlier;) The oil temps get into the 250 range almost everyday, now that I write that maybe that’s too high?

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
EGTs should be limited in the ECU in a smooth enough fashion that the car shouldn't feel like it's falling on it's face, but gradually decrease power to keep things safe. Yes bigger turbos flow air more efficiently typically.

What, the CR190? I thought you guys got away from those for some reason?
We tune them and the GTD1449vz, plus hybrid units. Xman has a gtd1449vz hybrid with a 56mm wheel we've had great success with, and they work out of the box on a standard stage 2 tune.

We stopped offering them openly on the website because nobody was willing to diagnose their vehicles. They would install a turbo (often used/in unknown condition), not have VCDS and expect us to tune it perfectly first try blind. Not hard to get a base tune but typically need some adjustment from there in order to keep things safe rather than just turning off limiters. ea288s with electric actuators are a fair bit more complex than a VNT17 alh for example.

These electronic actuator style turbos are all a little different, so it's important to know the sweep range of the turbo. There's a re-learn procedure that most new turbos need to go through after install and OEMs have instructions for their technicians. Some work great out of the box, others need some tune adjustment. Unfortunately only so many hours in a day, happy to support customers doing custom builds, but we need to know how the engine is operating in order to do custom tuning.

Last edited:

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
and they work out of the box on a standard stage 2 tune.
Ahh, so you connected me to my latest inquiry re: Stg 2...LOL

So, if one were to want stock like spool up but upper rpm breathing (power/pull) what would you suggest. I was thinking 2056...2260....Hmm, a hybrid....?