2012 Front/Rear Diff Fluid Service

Ncburch22

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
After searching for a few nights I have only come across one thread regarding the front and rear differential fluid and its service for our platforms.

I am aware VW states the diff fluids are "lifetime", however in reality nothing is lifetime. Especially with moving parts. I'm nearing 90k miles on my 2012 model. I purchased six months ago with little service history other than its emissions fix. I am looking to replace the front and rear diff fluids. However, I am unable to find much info regarding a few things.. Prior thread was hit or miss. Can the following be confirmed by anyone?

• 1) Does front require different part number than rear? FCS Euro has two separate options regarding p/n's.

• 2) I pulled capacity from Amsoil site. Front: 0.8qts. Rear: 1.25qts

• 3) VW p/n's are: Front G052145S2 & Rear: G052196A2

• 4) From my understanding the diffs are open, non locking.

With that said, I've looked at the schematics of the differentials. They look to be standard regular ol systems. Nothing fancy. Meaning any gear oil meeting GL-5 specifications is suitable? Calling local dealer was a fail as parts manager stuck by VW's lifetime claim. I was told the same in regards to the transfer case. The black sludge draining from its housing said otherwise.

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
Have you been able to determine if the VW part numbers, either one, are for fully synthetic lubricants? if so, it would be a pretty sound bet to use any good quality synthetic oil of the correct viscosity - especially since you obviously don't intend to make the 'replacement' oil a lifetime oil.
The big benefit of synthetics is that they do not degrade under heart nearly as fast as the 'dino' oils and therefore lubricate a LOT longer.

bryanmabbott

TDI
'02 VW Golf Manual; '13 Touareg TDI
Front and rear diff take synthetic 75w90, no friction modifier required since they are open diffs. ~0.8qts front, ~1.1qts rear.

Center diff requires 0.7qts of G 052 536 A2, some aftermarket alternatives are available. I used Ravenol TF-0870 on my Touareg. Runs about $25.

Ncburch22

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Have you been able to determine if the VW part numbers, either one, are for fully synthetic lubricants? if so, it would be a pretty sound bet to use any good quality synthetic oil of the correct viscosity - especially since you obviously don't intend to make the 'replacement' oil a lifetime oil.
The big benefit of synthetics is that they do not degrade under heart nearly as fast as the 'dino' oils and therefore lubricate a LOT longer.
Sorry for the late response. From everything I've gathered since this post from other forums and owners, as long as it meets GL5 spec at 75w-90 it should be good to go.

I got under my rig tonight to make sure my t50 torx bit was correct. The rear diff's drain bolt location is directly in front of the rear crossmember. Having to source a smaller torx bit so the ratchet fits between the bolt and crossmember. I'll keep you posted.

Ncburch22

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Front and rear diff take synthetic 75w90, no friction modifier required since they are open diffs. ~0.8qts front, ~1.1qts rear.

Center diff requires 0.7qts of G 052 536 A2, some aftermarket alternatives are available. I used Ravenol TF-0870 on my Touareg. Runs about $25.
Thanks for the info! My transfer case just got serviced last month under warranty. Needed new flange seal. Therefore the old fluid had to be drained. Dealer put fresh fluid in at no charge.

I was able to poke around and make sure my torx bit fit the bolts, but in doing so I found the rear diff's drain bolt sits directly in front of the rear crossmember. The space is about 1.5" so I'm having to find a smaller torx so get the ratchet in between.

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
Thanks for the info! My transfer case just got serviced last month under warranty. Needed new flange seal. Therefore the old fluid had to be drained. Dealer put fresh fluid in at no charge.

I was able to poke around and make sure my torx bit fit the bolts, but in doing so I found the rear diff's drain bolt sits directly in front of the rear crossmember. The space is about 1.5" so I'm having to find a smaller torx so get the ratchet in between.
Is it Torx or is it triple square? They look very similar. Triple square sets are available from MetalNerd.