Early 99' ALH 5-speed reverse switch question.

mk4mr

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI
Hello to all again. With all of this time off(obviously non-essential existence), I managed to pull the trans out of the $300 Jetta and put in the new DMF flywheel/clutch rep-set. This trans has the early shift tower assembly, and it was a new experience taking it apart. This assembly has a plastic cover with a tube shape extension that houses some sort of actuator for the reverse switch. I didn't look at it closely until putting things back together, but I noticed then that there is nothing in the tube to actuate when reverse is selected. I'm assuming something is missing. Does anyone have any idea what is supposed to be inside of this cap to actuate the reverse switch? The shift tower appears to also have a newer style, spring loaded, ball type actuator like the newer shift towers, but it is capped off and is pointing toward the rear of the engine. What do you all know about these odd shift tower setups? Does this shift tower have any name or type of identification? Thanks for anything you have to add.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I am not sure about your version of the shift tower, but the newer version has a bump in the collar positioned so when the tower was rotated for reverse, the reverse light switch would be pushed on by the bump causing the lights to turn on.

mk4mr

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI
I am not sure about your version of the shift tower, but the newer version has a bump in the collar positioned so when the tower was rotated for reverse, the reverse light switch would be pushed on by the bump causing the lights to turn on.
Hi! Yes, the newer style is what I'm used to, but this is not the same. I'll try to post a pic. Thanks!

mk4mr

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI
With a little internet searching, I was able to find a part number and wouldn't you know it....Ebay came through for less than $10! I'm going to put a newer style shift tower in the car soon, and I actually have one, but I do not have the cable connectors yet.

mk4mr

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI
Which style are you looking for? I happen to have a set of either - the spherical and cylindrical.

Cheers,

PH

These are the ones I was thinking of because I have a spare set of solid aluminum bushings that I can put in them.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I hope you are not expecting to use the 99.5 shift tower with the 00+ shift box and cables because that will NOT work.

I would not use any of the 99.5 shift linkage. It all junk, the later stuff is so much better.

mk4mr

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI
I hope you are not expecting to use the 99.5 shift tower with the 00+ shift box and cables because that will NOT work.

I would not use any of the 99.5 shift linkage. It all junk, the later stuff is so much better.
I haven't even gotten that far. My shift box housing is broken in multiple places and I have definite plans to replace it. I didn't know if the cable ends would fit on the older style cables or not honestly. I already know I don't like this shift tower or the shift box. Looks like I'll need to make plans to swap them all at the same time. Thanks for the heads up!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need to swap out the whole mess to one of the newer styles. Either is fine, 2000+ (they changed them again somewhere around 2002 I think, but anything 2000+ will be a HUGE improvement).

I just swapped out my '99.5's broken junk to a setup from a 2005. My original stamped steel shifter box was broken in five places. :eek: The nice cast aluminum one I put in, despite having almost as many miles on it from the original donor car, is perfect. As are all the shifter cables and such.

mk4mr

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI
You need to swap out the whole mess to one of the newer styles. Either is fine, 2000+ (they changed them again somewhere around 2002 I think, but anything 2000+ will be a HUGE improvement).

I just swapped out my '99.5's broken junk to a setup from a 2005. My original stamped steel shifter box was broken in five places. :eek: The nice cast aluminum one I put in, despite having almost as many miles on it from the original donor car, is perfect. As are all the shifter cables and such.
Thanks! I absolutely do plan on swapping out all of it. I saw pics somewhere on the ultra-reliable interweb of someone putting twist-lock cable ends on the older style cables and putting in a newer style tower. I was only skimming and gathering bits of info, now I can't find where I saw it. So anyway...I was entertaining swapping the tower(which I have) and swapping to the newer style cable ends...under the assumption that it was actually possible. I just thought I'd swap the shift box the next time I dropped the exhaust to finish the swap since I don't have the shift box yet. I'll just hold off until I have the shift box and am ready to drop the exhaust to do everything. I just thought I could actually do it in stages based on what I saw. Maybe I just misunderstood what I was looking at...it HAS happened.