Alternator bolt busted in half

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
The MkIV alternator removal procedure is something on the order of torture to this backyard mechanic.
The bottom alternator bolt is stripped, and well rusted over. Did I mention the other half still resides in the alternator mount? :mad::mad::mad:
I don't know how to approach this one. There is no room to work with down there for a bolt extraction. I can't pull the old alternator out of the car, as it sits.
Any ideas? :confused:

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I had to sacrifice the alternator to remove it. I forced the alternator out with a crowbar, which broke the ear off with the offending bolt fragment still attached. I should now have it out quickly with a Sawzall. I'm replacing the alternator with a used one, although, I'll install a new brush kit.
Whew! What a relief~! I thought I was screwed! :D

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Anti seize is your friend.
Make sure you push in those floating bushings/nuts flush so reinstallation is easier.

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Anti seize is your friend.
Make sure you push in those floating bushings/nuts flush so reinstallation is easier.
Yup. Saw a you tube video pointing that out! :) Someone must've installed the old alternator with an impact tool. That bolt was broken about in the middle.
I've got a 'lifetime supply' of anti-seize. Now, I have to source a replacement alternator bolt..

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
That's one bolt you'll likely need to source with the part no. Call a dealer for the no., they may even have a reasonable price. Possible you have an industrial supply locally that would carry it.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Even post something in the classified section.....enough people are parting out cars might even give you one for just shipping costs......worth a shot.

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Even post something in the classified section.....enough people are parting out cars might even give you one for just shipping costs......worth a shot.
Thanks, guys! I just got back from an overseas trip. I still have to figure out how to remove the bolt, which is still attached to the broken alternator 'wing'. I tried going in there with a sawzall. No room. I was going to drill a hole in the broken bolt, and chisel it out, but there just isn't enough room for the drill, either :mad:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Dude. I have been running with a busted ear on the lower portion of my alternator for 4 years and about 60k. No issues what so ever.

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Dude. I have been running with a busted ear on the lower portion of my alternator for 4 years and about 60k. No issues what so ever.
There was more to this, than meets the eye!
The (original) top bolt was snapped off at both ends, which left the remaining bolt shaft INSIDE the top mount. I tried to drill it out, but it's too tight of a space. No way to get an easy out in there, that I can see. The alternator was essentially floating in place. Somebody with a ham fist did this previous job. I installed the top bolt offset from the mount, and snugged it up as best that I could. (probably how the previous installation took place) It seems to be OK. To do this right, I'd have to remove the mount, which includes the power steering pump, and the injection pump. I'm not going to go there. I hate to leave a half assed job in place, but I am going to have to.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just a word of encouragement: If you can do a timing belt, then getting that bracket out is not hard at all really. Just a few bolts.

Aside from the obvious timing belt related stuff, the injection pump is a simple matter of removing the two pairs of deliver pipes to the injectors, unplugging one connector, and removing four bolts... and it comes right out.

A/C compressor is one plug and two bolts, and it'll hang down out of the way.

P/S pump is four bolts, and you can swing it down and out of the way with the lines attached (although it is easier with the lines removed, it will of course make somewhat of a mess with fluid leaking out).

The alternator you already know how that attaches.

Then the bracket itself is held on to the front of the block with six big bolts, and it'll lift right out.

Time consuming, but not at all hard.

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the advice! I always 'chickened out', when it came to a TB job. I never had anyone directly show me the ropes.
I think that I am going to live with this, for now, anyway.
Thanks again!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Just a word of encouragement: If you can do a timing belt, then getting that bracket out is not hard at all really. Just a few bolts.
I got to experience this for myself last year when the serpentine belt idler pulley snapped off the accessory bracket (taking some of the bracket with it).

Like oilhammer says, it's time-consuming (an afternoon for me), but if you have the tools to find TDC, lock the cam, and then lock the IP when you reinstall the sprocket, everything else is pretty much just your basic wrenches and sockets.

Given that you don't have to actually remove the engine mounts and bracket, it's much easier than a TB job.