Purchase now or after "Buyback"???

RnD

TDI
2012 JSW, 2010 Jetta
I've been lurking for some time but this is my first post... We bought a 2012 JSW several months back, knowing of the "scandal" and simply wanting a reliable, comfortable, long lasting vehicle, with good mileage (traded in a Prius with 180K and burning 2 quarts every 5K... VERY disappointed in that car). That being said I want to purchase another TDI, preferably manual and would like to stay with the 2010-2015 drivetrain in the Jettas. So this brings me to a decision... do I buy now, at a seemingly still cheaper cost OR wait to see IF they "fix" the cars and return them to the road... After reading all the doom and gloom articles out there is seems unlikely they will fix the cars and resale... Should I buy now or later? Anyone know what they are looking at doing with the vehicles they buy back???

I wish all the brainless greenies out there chanting "crush crush" would think about what they are actually suggesting... If you looked at it holistically you're probably wasting more energy and creating more pollution crushing the cars (negating all the energy put into building) than letting them live out their life on the road... By no means am I suggesting we let VW off the hook, but lets think about things logically.
Thank you in advance for your responses....Have a wonderful day!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
These cars are offered for sale by people without knowledge of the ongoing scandal - it happens a lot. Or perhaps with knowledge of the scandal, but someone needs to get out now, for whatever reason.

If you can buy one of these, with taxes and fees included, for less than you know what the buyback is going to be (accounting for that you are buying it after the scandal broke) I say go for it.

I think once the buybacks actually start, it will become generally known that there's no point selling for below what the buyback price will be.

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
Buy an eligible one now at a good price, and sell it back for profit when you find one of the newer fixed cars that you like, assuming you like the way the "fix" drives. If not, you're fine since you've already got a car.

RnD

TDI
2012 JSW, 2010 Jetta
Thoughts on what the "fixed" cars prices will be like? Supply and demand would say that they should be cheap(er) IF they are allowed to resale to the public... Right?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
It really depends on how nice the car is, and what the demand is.

the buyback provides a generic price, but resale after will depend on condition and market.

RnD

TDI
2012 JSW, 2010 Jetta
We've got a 2012 JSW thats proven good so far... The Prius was trouble free except for small things and that it was burning oil... SO not disappointed in the reliability, rather in the longevity. I had planned on replacing the batteries as they went bad but never expected the dang thing to start drinking oil that quickly.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
If you want longevity then sell the CR back to VW and use the extra money to buy an ALH.

RnD

TDI
2012 JSW, 2010 Jetta
That's on the short list as well but I'm having trouble finding them under 200K miles... I'm trading a Tacoma (vastly overvalued at the moment) for something I can haul my kids around in, get decent mileage, and brave the icy/snowy roads in the winter. My options are as listed...
2000-2003 Jetta Manual - use remainder of $$$ on my '86 M1008 CUCV.
2010+ Jetta Manual - Drive it.
2006 or 2009 Jetta Manual - Split the difference...

RnD

TDI
2012 JSW, 2010 Jetta
Bought a 2010 Jetta Manual TDI with 67,000 today... Met a fellow member at the dealership in Tulsa and after a lot of thought on the way home still undecided on what the outcome will be in 2-3 months.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Definitely buy now. It will only get worse, as owners get the letters. Even when the fix is approved, VW is unlikely to apply it to the bought-back vehicles. Those will all be destined for landfills, no way VW will flood the market with 100+ thousand of CPO/Fixed vehicles. That mean the TDI market will become scorched/barren desert w barely any cars to be had.

Find an ignorant sucker and take advantage of the situation. Their loss == your gain.

ohenry

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Definitely buy now. It will only get worse, as owners get the letters. Even when the fix is approved, VW is unlikely to apply it to the bought-back vehicles. Those will all be destined for landfills, no way VW will flood the market with 100+ thousand of CPO/Fixed vehicles. That mean the TDI market will become scorched/barren desert w barely any cars to be had.
Find an ignorant sucker and take advantage of the situation. Their loss == your gain.
Well ... that depends. On how they handle buying back / fixing / reselling. If done smoothly, over a longer period of time, it should be okay. If everyone tries to sell back their TDIs on 11/1/2016, and if VWoA allows that, or tries to accommodate that, then it could make for a mess.

Unless...

They could warehouse the cars, fix them more slowly, and sell them back into the market over a period of 8, 10, 12 months. I do believe that even if it moves slowly and smoothly, there will be an oversupply, leading to lower prices on the used market.

If that is the case, the smart move would be to sell back my 2013 Passat with 66k miles, wait a few months, and buy a "fixed" car with fewer miles for less money.

Anyway you jump on this, you are guessing / gambling. But life is a gamble, no one is assured of tomorrow.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
I am kind of on the fence right now. But ultimately I will need another car, and I will need to have possession of the thing before I turn in the JSW, so my thinking is that I get something else first before I turn in.

The question is, do I buy something now and wait until I can turn it in, or do I wait a bit. And the answer is going to depend on what I end up getting - complicating factors include the fact that for most manufacturers the 2017 MY cars aren't here yet, and if you look for a CPO something or another, you are at the mercy of whatever the market happens to have on hand at the moment.

Nonetheless, I am tempted to start shopping now, and if I get something then park the JSW until I can turn it in. A complicating factor is that I don't really have a good place for long-term parking of the JSW - it would be a nuisance to the neighbors to have the thing taking up a parking spot for 3-6 months or so. One can pay for car storage of course, but that costs money. My wife and I are trying to figure out if we know someone who has a good spot where we can leave the thing for a while, but haven't come up with good answers yet.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
IF (and I'm not - I have a 2015) I was doing the buyback - I might start shopping, but I wouldn't do any more than put a refundable deposit on "THAT CAR" if I found it, until I had my appointment date for my buyback - then in the week before , I'd finish the transaction.

Not everyone is going to be able to do their buyback on 11/1/2016, if you get my drift.

RnD

TDI
2012 JSW, 2010 Jetta
In a perfect world you could wait 6 months after cars are being turned in, let them buy yours back/trade it in for a fixed vehicle... Take advantage of a saturated market/lower price and still be able to dodge the taxes that come with that extra income since it's a trade.