Are we allowed to do nothing?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
The more I read in various threads, the more I am convinced that the answer to the question posed by this thread is "Yes, but the buyback is the way to go."

wrightwinger

TDI
jsw
So what if you have good tires on your (you bought recently) VW, and you're thinking of using the buyback money on a new one.............

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
If you live in a non test state ,do what ever you want . Like the car keep it,want a buy back fine. You will have to sell your car to someone who lives in a non testing state,or it won't get registered,maybe.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
Except the next line is which means that they can't deny registration because it exceeds the emissions standards.
What this means is that they can deny registration because your check engine light is on, you've removed the DPF, modified the EGR, etc. Normal things that they can fail you on today. What they can't fail you on is your emissions being too high, because that is explicitly excluded.
:confused:Did you mean fixed cars aren't included in (a)? Because it is there precisely to address unfixed cars.
It also means that they can develop a new fail criteria, that only applies to diesel cars, and fail because of that. So they take out a few hundred Cruzes, collateral damage to getting the VWs.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Originally Posted by Rico567 View Post
The more I read in various threads, the more I am convinced that the answer to the question posed by this thread is "Yes, but the buyback is the way to go."

Only if you don't want the car.
I take issue with the "only." We've had very good luck with this car, it's our first diesel and it's doing everything we expect it to do. So, in a very real sense, yes we do want the car.
But in our case, the buyback terms are good enough I can't refuse them. Our gen 2 Passat, although it's been trouble-free for 45K miles, has got its long-term issues, and they'll still be there, even though I've received extended warranties from VW on the turbo and heater core. The fuel pump and SCR systems are two that come to mind.
Alternatively, if we turn the car in in a couple of years, we will have driven what is a nearly depreciation-proof vehicle for 5 years, and receive within a few thousand bucks of what we paid for it new.
And (I emphasize, this is in our case, and I admit they DO vary) I don't see how we can pass that up.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I take issue with the "only." We've had very good luck with this car, it's our first diesel and it's doing everything we expect it to do. So, in a very real sense, yes we do want the car.
But in our case, the buyback terms are good enough I can't refuse them. Our gen 2 Passat, although it's been trouble-free for 45K miles, has got its long-term issues, and they'll still be there, even though I've received extended warranties from VW on the turbo and heater core. The fuel pump and SCR systems are two that come to mind.
Alternatively, if we turn the car in in a couple of years, we will have driven what is a nearly depreciation-proof vehicle for 5 years, and receive within a few thousand bucks of what we paid for it new.
And (I emphasize, this is in our case, and I admit they DO vary) I don't see how we can pass that up.
So what you are saying is you no longer want the car for what ever reasons you have, plain and simple. I don't need any justification on your part.....you just no longer want to own the car, am I correct.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Only if you don't want the car.
So what you are saying is you no longer want the car for what ever reasons you have, plain and simple. I don't need any justification on your part.....you just no longer want to own the car, am I correct.
If that is a question, for purposes of the brief response you appear to want: yes.

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
So I guess nobody remembers the language in the settlement docs that clearly states that if any state accepts $$$ from this, that they agree to *NOT* deny registrations? And the minor little detail that as of that date, 44/50 states has agreed?

I guess not . . . Or we just love flogging already dead equestrian corpses . . .

Only partially correct... that they agree to *NOT* deny registrations for cars that have had the approved "fix" done.

What the $$$$ is for, is that they can not come up with a 100% fix that will make the car fully comply.

So they fix your car, to reduce what they can, then pay your state bonus money for the rest of the pollution.

grwoolf

TDI
2012 JSW
For me, the real question is "what is the car worth to me". Let's call the restitution $ a wash, because I'd take that either way (no interest in "do nothing"). That basically begs the question of whether my 2012 jsw is worth around $15k to me right now. Considering all factors and unknowns, the answer is "not even close".