What did you do to your MKIV today?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Last edited:

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Crawled under it in the snow to fix the exhaust - joint just forward of the mid-tunnel support rotted in two and pipe was dragging on the ground. I put it back together with a piece of aluminum flashing and a couple of gear clamps. Not a fun job, but should be good until spring.

Not sure I'll get many more years out of the (original) exhaust, it's getting a bit sad :oops:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
When doing the timing belt he adjusted the IQ back to a more normal reading. Car still pulls pretty well (Malone Stage IV), definitely doesn’t smoke train like it did before. Excited! Can’t wait to see if I can break +40mpg! (personal best so far is 40mpg).

James
for a tuned car, what the IQ "should" read at hot idle can vary wildly.... the tuner should specify for your setup (pump/nozzles). but changing "IQ" will generally just shift problems around, as it's simply adding/subtracting volts (duration) to the fueling map and it's usually not enough to fix any real problems, only very fine tuning. if you hammer up "+1mg", "40mg" (which might be 52mg in reality, all depends on tune and your hardware), now "40mg" is actually maybe 53mg in reality and "41.5mg" in the tune.. but this can vary quite a bit depending, again, on the tune... IQ can also be jumpy and there is some accuracy lost in trasmission of the real values to VCDS (rounded and send over 8bit then scaled up). for a factory tuned car, IQ actualy means something, and for a stock car, is probably right around 4-4.4mg. my wifes BEW with factory fueling, hot idle of 903 requires ~4.5mg to idle with stock timing.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
4.5mg is about 0.1mm of pump travel... :) Sheet of paper.

The boost control depends on fuel applied. So, having it 'know' how much fuel is actually landing is important. Take a stock manual tune, drop in an 11mm pump and large injector nozzles and I bet that 37.5mg of claimed fuel is more like 75mg. That is going to change the expected/required vane position to deliver the specified boost. It is amazing these wee beasties run so well when something so basic is messed with...LOL

Douglas

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Yeah, there was a big nest on top of the cabin filter. I've found there many times over the years. There was a nest on the opposite side next to the ambient air temp sensor also. I just want to find where they are getting inside my vehicle. It's been a problem for years with all of my vehicles. Our house is in the woods and our property joins the D. Boone National Forest. So, catching or poisoning them is a waste of time. I just need to find their entrance points and plug them. Tracking shows the borescope will be delivered today. So, the search will begin this afternoon.......... even if I have to remove everything......... dash, seats, carpet, etc. ...LOL
My 06 corolla years ago i glued a wire mesh to the firewall where the cabin air intake was. If i find where that is on the beetle, its getting one too. #farmlife

My 6 month old kitten is a mouse killing machine, got 4 in one day this week, this morning 3 remnants. Im hoping the mouse situation will improve.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
I'll be interesting to see if your FE improves with the new IQ setting. I also wonder where they set the injection timing when they replaced the belt. 40 MPG for an ALH isn't stellar: what other mods do you have?
I recently discovered (thanks to @burpod ) that a least some tunes can hurt fuel economy pretty badly. I removed the stage 3 tunes (with dynamic EGR) from my Golf and Jetta wagon and fuel economy jumped 5-ish miles/gallon. And most of the time I wasn't even taking advantage of the extra power that the tune provided, but it still hurt fuel economy. Just road tripping at the speed limit and I went from 47 miles/gallon to quite a bit over 50. Not sure if it was the dynamic EGR that was hurting or the potential extra power of the tune that was causing the loss of fuel economy. Of course, "Your mileage may vary."

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
I recently discovered (thanks to @burpod ) that a least some tunes can hurt fuel economy pretty badly. I removed the stage 3 tunes (with dynamic EGR) from my Golf and Jetta wagon and fuel economy jumped 5-ish miles/gallon. And most of the time I wasn't even taking advantage of the extra power that the tune provided, but it still hurt fuel economy. Just road tripping at the speed limit and I went from 47 miles/gallon to quite a bit over 50. Not sure if it was the dynamic EGR that was hurting or the potential extra power of the tune that was causing the loss of fuel economy. Of course, "Your mileage may vary."
i could tell you why ;) you could also be getting much better than 50 at the speeds i'm guessing you drive... but you know what needs to be done for that :p :)

J.P.

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 05 b5.5V/6spd w/274k miles (daily). Silver 02 Golf/5spd w/240k miles (fun 1). Mint Tornado Red 01 Golf/5spd w/440k (ALH still perfect!!!).
Ah, those are screws, they're just inverted torx
Thanks Moz, I learned something new! I've never seen an inverted torx that tiny, so it didn't even register as one. I probably would have replaced them with regular torx if I had known.....

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Speaking of tunes and IQ adjustment, does anyone here know what a good rough number should be for a Malone stage 3 tune?

I was never given any suggestions as to IQ adjustment when I got the tune, and with the Sprint 520 injectors and 11mm pump, it's only turning up around 38-41 mpg over the last few tanks, mostly in town but with a few highway road trips.
If the mods weren't so likely to run rich without the tune, I'd remove it entirely to see how it behaved.

The fuel economy was a little better before I swapped from the (350k miles) stock nozzle injectors to the Sprint 520 ones that I'd had the tune made for, running in the low to mid 40s up to that time.

As to what I've done to my car recently, oil changes and lots of miles. I just cleared 400k, and it's still cruising!

braddies

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf ALH
Chasing an oil leak on the alh.. removed the vacuum pump and I can catch a fingernail on either side of the cam cap, just barely but it's definitely raised up a little bit from the cylinder head.
Thinking this would make sense to be the source of the little oil puddles that form under the valve cover on top of the vacuum pump. Hoping so, next step is to take the cap off and add a little rtv before reinstalling

J.P.

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 05 b5.5V/6spd w/274k miles (daily). Silver 02 Golf/5spd w/240k miles (fun 1). Mint Tornado Red 01 Golf/5spd w/440k (ALH still perfect!!!).
From your Album(s), find the pic you want to Post.... Click on it. Then, scroll down until you see Share this Media.
Click on the second link (Copy Image BB Code) ........ then paste the link your Post.
Thank you AndyBees!

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Some call me crazy but I'm pretty sure some machines have a heart and soul because no 2 cars or machines made alike are ever the same. I've seen this where I've taken on no problematic units at work and the problems seemingly just went away because the machine got a little bit of love and maintenance. My car's I think some of them anyways are like that, where They do amazing and incredible things sometimes. Like when my mom came home cruising down the country road at 55 miles an hour put the brakes on and pulled into the driveway on downhill part of the road, yet when she went to leave in the morning the brake pit off and ride to the floor and both Brake lines had blown. I still don't know how the Van stopped when I know she Didn't push the brake as hard to get it out of park as she would have had to slow down the Van. I've seen stuff like that with my Dodge where we're up in the middle of nowhere out of cell coverage in the loggingbroadcast and it brought me home and then it wouldn't start from my own Driveway. As if it's said I'll bring you home but no more trips after this period Driveway. As if it's said I'll bring you home but no more trips after this.

Last week I picked up a set of almost new snow tires for my beetle and on the way home I had this strong feeling that wouldn't go away that it was time to park it. It's like he was trying to tell me something it's hard to explain.For 2 years now the rad has been dripping if she was driven too hard, needed struts, and the timingbelt- i dont know whats in it, it was changed few months before i got it. I told my poor little car I needed a few more miles out of it than I would park it for Winter and do the timing belt in Spring but so many when wrong that I had to drive it right into Winter. I found a tool set for the timing belt so I'm picking it up tonight and still trying to figure out which belt to order or what kid I should get. I'd like to replace the Cam and crank shaft seals while I'm in there Not that they're leaking but I'm so worried abouthen leaking after 20 years and me having to do another timing belt

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Some call me crazy but I'm pretty sure some machines have a heart and soul because no 2 cars or machines made alike are ever the same. I've seen this where I've taken on no problematic units at work and the problems seemingly just went away because the machine got a little bit of love and maintenance. My car's I think some of them anyways are like that, where They do amazing and incredible things sometimes. Like when my mom came home cruising down the country road at 55 miles an hour put the brakes on and pulled into the driveway on downhill part of the road, yet when she went to leave in the morning the brake pit off and ride to the floor and both Brake lines had blown. I still don't know how the Van stopped when I know she Didn't push the brake as hard to get it out of park as she would have had to slow down the Van. I've seen stuff like that with my Dodge where we're up in the middle of nowhere out of cell coverage in the loggingbroadcast and it brought me home and then it wouldn't start from my own Driveway. As if it's said I'll bring you home but no more trips after this period Driveway. As if it's said I'll bring you home but no more trips after this.

Last week I picked up a set of almost new snow tires for my beetle and on the way home I had this strong feeling that wouldn't go away that it was time to park it. It's like he was trying to tell me something it's hard to explain.For 2 years now the rad has been dripping if she was driven too hard, needed struts, and the timingbelt- i dont know whats in it, it was changed few months before i got it. I told my poor little car I needed a few more miles out of it than I would park it for Winter and do the timing belt in Spring but so many when wrong that I had to drive it right into Winter. I found a tool set for the timing belt so I'm picking it up tonight and still trying to figure out which belt to order or what kid I should get. I'd like to replace the Cam and crank shaft seals while I'm in there Not that they're leaking but I'm so worried abouthen leaking after 20 years and me having to do another timing belt
I'd get the kit from one of the supporting vendors here. Idparts and cascade german are some. They have the good quality kits and would have most everything you need for the timing belt change.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
i’ve had similar experiences norbert77. At the bleeding edge of theoretical physics one could easily conclude that the very fabric of the universe is alive, and therefore everything made from it is alive.

didn’t go anywhere or work on Savannah. More snow and bitter cold. Ugh.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon

I get my ALH timing belt kits from germanoem.ca

They are complete and cheaper than ordering from US vendors.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Haven’t been able to drive as I have had ankle fusion surgery…was finally able to get into a walking boot with Almost 11 weeks with no weight bearing and got to my 2000NB only to find the foot well behind the drivers seat full of water….destroyed a brand new heavy duty fabric tool bag…..ended up being a giant mold ball…not happy.
No sunroof…and yes the window was all the way up.

Pulled inner door panel and found marks in the dust like an old dry river bed towards the back of the door.
Pulled up door sill cover and found it all wet in line with the “ dry river bed “ resealed entire lower door panel to door with rtv….time will tell.
Normally I don’t don’t park on the grass , but due to surgery didn’t need to block up driveway with unused car so it’s sitting sideways with the drivers side facing uphill.

Heres a picture hopefully of the “dry river bed “

Last edited:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Haven’t been able to drive as I have had ankle fusion surgery…was finally able to get into a walking boot with Almost 11 weeks with no weight bearing and got to my 2000NB only to find the foot well behind the drivers seat full of water….destroyed a brand new heavy duty fabric tool bag…..ended up being a giant mold ball…not happy.
No sunroof…and yes the window was all the way up.

Pulled inner door panel and found marks in the dust like an old dry river bed towards the back of the door.
Pulled up door sill cover and found it all wet in line with the “ dry river bed “ resealed entire lower door panel to door with rtv….time will tell.
Normally I don’t don’t park on the grass , but due to surgery didn’t need to block up driveway with unused car so it’s sitting sideways with the drivers side facing uphill.

Heres a picture hopefully of the “dry river bed “

I would also check to see if the drain holes are plugged - water has to leave the door somewhere.

Jason

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
...............snip......................Pulled inner door panel and found marks in the dust like an old dry river bed towards the back of the door................snip......................
The door itself should not pass water to it's interior.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I have 4 Vw’s that beg to differ that have had water in the foot wells …….all were from the inner door panels lower portion.
If the inside door panel is never removed I would agree with you . I have yet to come across one that has never had that panel removed. Also the way I normally park is either facing uphill or downhill not sideways to the hill…..plus we had a lot of rain here last month. This is from my pool of 5 TDI’s that I’ve seen…..

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would also check to see if the drain holes are plugged - water has to leave the door somewhere.

Jason
Drain holes are all wide open.
I believe with the car parked sideways with the drivers side up hill…the water ran down the window into the door and dripped onto the inside door panel and ran down to where some of the old sealant was cracked or missing and leaked into the interior….. just my observation…..

Last edited:

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Filled it up this morning. Since it's going to be well below 0*F the next few nights, I also added about 12 oz. of Howe's Diesel Treat.

43.3 mpg on the last tank--not bad considering the cold and lots of short trips to pick up the boy from basketball practice.

I found it odd that the last person to pump diesel there only got 1 gallon.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Filled it up this morning. Since it's going to be well below 0*F the next few nights, I also added about 12 oz. of Howe's Diesel Treat.

43.3 mpg on the last tank--not bad considering the cold and lots of short trips to pick up the boy from basketball practice.

I found it odd that the last person to pump diesel there only got 1 gallon.
Maybe filled up a jug for their generator, or just to have as backup?

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Car needs safety for new insurance, old car. Fine. Found cause of airbag light, was cut under passenger seat. Change a bunch of things. Almost done. Window doesn't go down. Motor good, switch good, regulator good. Must be the electrical motor control.

Where can i get one?

Seatbelt wire

what is the size of my computer screen

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I don't have a mk4 right now, but here's what I did for an mk4 for a local vw shop. New 2 gauge alternator cable and I built a 120 amp alternator for them too.
Then not on a mk4, but very similar... was working on a b5.5 passat tdi and its been having boost problems for some time already. We replaced almost all of the hoses and replaced the camshaft, deleted balance shaft, just installed an almost new transmission and all... I took it for a drive after the transmission replacement and it didn't seem to boost right. I did the n75 test and it wasn't moving the actuator.
Okay, check vacuum, 30 in/hg so I pulled the n75 off... do you see what is wrong?
😡😡😡 why do people still use these Chinese pieces of junk! Not the first time I have seen this either. The n75 valve was really warm too. New pierburg on the way.