1.9pdtdi AVF timing belt questions!

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Hello Guys!
I have got some question about an 1.9pdtdi AVF audi a4 b6 quattro manual 6 speed,recently changed the timing belt by my own.
Original VW/AUDI timing belt kit (belt,1tensioner,1pulley, and a water pump) was used.Timing locking tools was used, everything was good.Torsion value is 0.0 so timing is lets say spot on!
This was like 500-800km ago today i checked the belt to see everything is good.BTW the car is running good no noise or whatsoever.
And i saw the belt is running off center, i mean the belt is running in the inner side of all pulleys as you can saw in the pictures......strange...
One thing that i noticed is that the tensioner a little overtightened so its also strange because when i did the timing the belt tensioner was good as you can see in the images....
Anyone ever saw that kind off thing??
One other thing before this timing kit i did not notice that kind of belt thing.
My tensioner stud was damaged but it was repaired with helicoil but that was like 3 year ago so my old timing belt was running with that stud so i cant figure out what can cause this?
If anyone has got an idea please share with me!
As soon as i can i will set the timing belt tension to specification!
Maybe the tension cause this problem?

THANKS!

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
So today i got some time and checked few things, when the car is running timing belt tensioner is in good place so its not overtightended!
Next thing is i have to remove tensioner and check the stud to be sure and the thread...i have got a new stud..
I will report back as soon as i got that so maybe i can help others...

ben0069

TDI
allroad 2.5 tdi v6
looking at the markings on the teeth of the wheel, that's where the belt has always sat...

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
If you look at the camshaft wheel you can see its not the original place if you look at the waterpump its a new wp the new belt only rides in this place...
Today i rechecked everything also replaced the tensioner stud and put back the old tensioner but everything its the same...any ideas?

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Yea i know buz the only thing that annoys me is the waterpump
[/IMG]
The belt is hanging off like 1-2 mm

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
I see now probably you might need a washer under the tensioner,picture wasn't that clear...as above. Belt will follow where the tensioner will lead so you could experiment a little. Personally have done dozens of cambelts on PD engines and never came across a situation like this!

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Yes thats why i did not understand...i have done a few..
The problem with the spacer to the tensioner is that the stud i need longer stud then but is not so easy because m10 to m8 stud original is 73mm long and other problem with spacing is the little ear what goes inside the timing belt plate if i space that little thing might come out and the disaster happen

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
If belt is not rubbing against anything, I'd leave it alone. If you add a spacer (washer) you'd run the risk of the tensioner loosening over time.

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
The belt doesnt rub its fine but im afraid of that the belt overhang the waterpump pulley...
What do you mean the tensioner loosening or how?
Maybe if i add a very little spacer so that the original stud can be used and the tensioner little arm doesnt goes out from the backplate?

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
The belt doesnt rub its fine but im afraid of that the belt overhang the waterpump pulley...
What do you mean the tensioner loosening or how?
Maybe if i add a very little spacer so that the original stud can be used and the tensioner little arm doesnt goes out from the backplate?
The torque spec for that the tensioner nut is there to maintain proper clamping force and friction between the tensioner body and the engine block. If you add a washer, then you need to figure out what should be the proper torque. So while you can put a washer, but how are you going to guarantee it is not going to come loose with vibrations over time? It looks from the marks on the sprockets that it has always been that way. My take would be that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Could always put a 1mm washer behind it and lock tite the stud and not worry about it. I’d let it ride. The tensioner will keep it inline. If it’s not rubbing now it’s not going to rub down the road.

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
I ordered this timing kit useing my VIN number and its all vw/audi parts...
Everything was the same as beforei mean the parts so i think its the good tensioner, anyway is there any different tensioner?
All i know there was a manual tensioner type pd and a hydraulic type.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
I ordered this timing kit useing my VIN number and its all vw/audi parts...
Everything was the same as beforei mean the parts so i think its the good tensioner, anyway is there any different tensioner?
All i know there was a manual tensioner type pd and a hydraulic type.
I saw on some other threads that there can be shims on the Littens and not on the Gates, causing a 2mm offset.

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Shims inside of the tensioner or where?
Measured the belt its 29.75mm.
Maybe somwhere there is a database about tensioners?
Or could you point on that info?

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Thank you very much, i looked that thread unfortunately i cant see the images because its an old thread.
But the guy said litens had a spacer gates dont but i have got litens and i dont have a spacer. he said litens has 2mm spacer if i had that 2mm spacer belt would ride in good way i mean its not hang off the water pump....
But if i use a 2mm shim maybe my stud will short and i have got an original litens tensioner but did not came with shim