CV Axle Boot Gasket... Trick?

towforce

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Red
I was doing some pro-active maintenance a little while back, I had replaced a inner CV boot on my 05 Jetta manual trans, used an IDP economy boot, less than 20,000 km's later it failed. Probably something I did well mashing around trying to jam the old axle back in :rolleyes:

I don't really have any complaints about re-doing the boot, I've replaced several through the years, just one of those tasks that takes time (this time around I was going to use a IDP OEM version). One task that I find a real pain is getting the dumb gasket with its adhesive back to "stick" and stay in place....anybody have a trick to keeping the gasket in position during install?

Thanks!

Martin

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I find a smear of the CV joint grease with careful positioning of the bolts works OK. Just get it very near to where you joint up the 2 parts, make sure the gasket is positioned properly, joint and flange lined up, then go for it. Pushing the bolts out just a tad from the CV joint will allow them to use those indents on the gasket to position the gasket.

Cheers,

PH

towforce

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Red
Hey thanks, kind of what I've done in the past. I guess its all the manipulated around that has to happen for the right side axle. Still, kind of find the gasket to be a PITA :rolleyes:

Martin