Question for someone who understands all of this

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
After the news broke in Sept 2015 my wife decided she no longer wanted to keep her 2011 JSW DGS with 85K on the clock so she traded it in on another vehicle about a week later. I believe the trade in received was around $11,000 which seemed fair at the time given the news just broke and a few dealers would not even touch it.

While calculating the reimbursement for our scenario the VW site came up with an estimated amount of around $2,900. This number was calculated taking 10% of the trade-in value which was about $1,450 and the remaining $1,450 as our restitution amount.

As I'm reading and trying to understand this it appears the previous owner (us) and the current owner would split the compensation, correct?

If so, it seems as though the current owner could get much more as a buy back especially if they paid a low amount for it.

Roughly what would the current owner be offered as a buy-back with restitution if they purchased the car shortly after the September 2015 announcement?

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
NADA clean trade value + 10% of that value + 50% of the restitution money

It's simple, really. If you gambled and got rid of the TDI between September and June, you probably lost. But if you like your new vehicle and didn't go well into the hole, then no worries.

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
After the news broke in Sept 2015 my wife decided she no longer wanted to keep her 2011 JSW DGS with 85K on the clock so she traded it in on another vehicle about a week later. I believe the trade in received was around $11,000 which seemed fair at the time given the news just broke and a few dealers would not even touch it.

While calculating the reimbursement for our scenario the VW site came up with an estimated amount of around $2,900. This number was calculated taking 10% of the trade-in value which was about $1,450 and the remaining $1,450 as our restitution amount.

As I'm reading and trying to understand this it appears the previous owner (us) and the current owner would split the compensation, correct?

If so, it seems as though the current owner could get much more as a buy back especially if they paid a low amount for it.

Roughly what would the current owner be offered as a buy-back with restitution if they purchased the car shortly after the September 2015 announcement?
Say the current owner now has 100k miles on it and the car didn't have a sunroof or nav and had an auto, they would get:
$12225 (book value) plus $2716 restitution + whatever portion of the unclaimed Seller's pool, so a minimum of $14941 to a maximum of $17657.

Someone check my numbers though to verify since I'm just quickly doing these manually without one of those handy online calculators.

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
Say the current owner now has 100k miles on it and the car didn't have a sunroof or nav and had an auto, they would get:
$12225 (book value) plus $2716 restitution + whatever portion of the unclaimed Seller's pool, so a minimum of $14941 to a maximum of $17657.

Someone check my numbers though to verify since I'm just quickly doing these manually without one of those handy online calculators.
So they would get twice the restitution amount than the original owner? I'm not a math major but that does not seem like a split between the two owners.

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
They'd get half restitution, but they also get a percentage of what original sellers don't claim. If 100% of sellers come forward and claim their restitution, the post 9/18 owners won't get any extra beyond the half they're entitled to. If 0% of sellers come forward with claims, post 9/18 owners would get 100% of the other half of the restitution payment.

TJD_TDI

TDI
2012 JSW
So they would get twice the restitution amount than the original owner? I'm not a math major but that does not seem like a split between the two owners.
You're entitled to half the restitution amount as an eligible seller. You're not entitled to have VW buy the car back at Sept 2015 values, because you no longer own the car. That was your decision.

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
You're entitled to half the restitution amount as an eligible seller. You're not entitled to have VW buy the car back at Sept 2015 values, because you no longer own the car. That was your decision.
I know I'm not eligible to the buy back, that's always been crystal clear.

I was confused on the amount of restitution arrived upon but now it makes more sense.

To be honest I never expected to get anything so it's all just a bonus to us at this point.

Thanks guys!