B20 in a 2010 VW Jetta TDI

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
When I hit 7500. It will be a while.

The increased fe is the same and occasionally better than D2. Straight D2 I avg. 33mpg. Last few tanks I'm at 34 with B20. I should probably not make it sound like such a big increase but when the car is used by me I get a better tank than my wife, who drives like an old lady. The car is probably getting better fe as the motor breaks in...I'm guessing.

Interesting, the same commute with my 05 Passat got me 30mpg, at most, on B20.

Dip stick does not show an increase in volume....yet. But I will keep an eye on it as usual.

Just ordered the Blackstone Kit.
You can do an early UOA. You do not have to drain the oil to check it now to be safe. :)

Just saying it is better to know now than wait and find out the hard way...Kind of like the Dr., the longer you wait the worse the prognosis.

Again, remember I want to be proven wrong, but my research convinced me that Post Combustion injections on the CRD do not work with even B20.

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
You can do an early UOA. You do not have to drain the oil to check it now to be safe. :)

Just saying it is better to know now than wait and find out the hard way...Kind of like the Dr., the longer you wait the worse the prognosis.

Again, remember I want to be proven wrong, but my research convinced me that Post Combustion injections on the CRD do not work with even B20.
Kit showed up yesterday. I have to go to Los Angeles tomorrow and won't be back till the weekend. I'll take the sample when I get back and post the results. Now I need to clean out my Pela. Nasty.

aztecboi

TDI
2010 VW Jetta TDI
Looks pretty good!! Think I am convinced that B20 is not as harmful to the engines as people have been saying. Definitely going to give it a try. Thanks a lot for this info.

And......

[/IMG]

I will keep sending B20 through and keep you all updated.

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
Your car has a lot more miles on it than mine. I would recommend doing a mid term analysis similar to what Tom B suggested. That way you will know for sure. I think purchasing this is a good idea.

It would be cool if we could do an injector analysis also. I would like to know if CR pressures are doing any damage; deposits and build up, etc. Boy it would be a bummer to stick in some CR 180 injectors prematurely....and a tune to match (har har).

Question: I found out that my local CAT dealer does lab analysis like Blackstone. If I use them, would my results be skewed? It sure would be convenient if I could use a local lab.

Anyway, motor on.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
And......

[/IMG]

I will keep sending B20 through and keep you all updated.
Again, let me preface this response with I am a B100 supporter and have been since 2002, so not trying to find fault for the mere purpose of being anti-BD, yet I need to reply for a balanced presentation of the facts.

Did you tell Blackstone's you were using BD? Once I told them, they looked at the results differently when you tell them that.

Flashpoint is low, this indicates that something is dropping it. BD flashpoint is 130C, so it will drop the overall if dilution is occurring.

High Potassium is from KOH (Potassium Hydroxide) from Biodiesel processing. Are you using commercially produced BD or home brew? If home brew looks like the processing is off slightly and the washing is not complete.

Oh and to be clear this does NOT look horrible at all, just something to watch.

Let us know. Thanks!

Last edited:

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
Blackstone knew it all; B20 and how long and with Pservice grey bottle. I listed as much as I could.

I'm going to get the mini vacc pump sample device and take 1 or 2 samples in the next OCI. I'll post back no matter what.

The oil sent in was the OE fill. I was hoping the pdf image would have been larger. I could take a pic and post that if the original is tough to read.

I am now using Fuchs 5w-30 507.00. Why....you are making me nervous.

I'm now curious if location and climate have to do with DPF regens.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
Blackstone knew it all; B20 and how long and with Pservice grey bottle. I listed as much as I could.

I'm going to get the mini vacc pump sample device and take 1 or 2 samples in the next OCI. I'll post back no matter what.

The oil sent in was the OE fill. I was hoping the pdf image would have been larger. I could take a pic and post that if the original is tough to read.

I am now using Fuchs 5w-30 507.00. Why....you are making me nervous.

I'm now curious if location and climate have to do with DPF regens.
LOL! No need to panic. Just asking which oil. I did not see it listed. On my oil reports they noted the use of BD on it, that is why I asked if they knew.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
good stuff and thanks for posting the report!! Man...I was worried for the past 2 weeks !!! lol.....looks good. BD is the future for sure. wonder how long before the whole NA continent is mandated including every state.

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
good stuff and thanks for posting the report!! Man...I was worried for the past 2 weeks !!! lol.....looks good. BD is the future for sure. wonder how long before the whole NA continent is mandated including every state.
In this next OCI I am going to take a sample at 4000 miles and 7000 miles and post those results.

Is there a running thread where lab tests are being reported for common rail motors?

Also, If I use a local lab (CAT dealer) do you think the results will be far off? I'm not sure on this. Tia.

SPL Tech

TDI
jetta
Wrong on at least the final comment. Carbon dioxide (CO2) is only harmful to the extent that too much can make you light headed.
That is completely false. I use to be a welder and the shielding gas for our MIG welders was 95% CO2, 5% argon. Once I took a swig of CO2 from the nozzle when I accidentally pressed the gun trigger and well, I about passed out. It choked the hell out of me and made me cough for 10 min. CO2 can definitely kill you. In fact, O3 can kill you despite being rather close to O2. If you go in a room filled with nothing but O3 you will eventually die. Your paper bag example is a poor analogy because no matter how much you breath into a paper bag, the majority of the gas in the bag is still going to be O2. Try putting your nose up to a compressed CO2 bottle and open the nozzle a bit. That should make things a bit more clear. :)

Last edited:

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
That is completely false. I use to be a welder and the shielding gas for our MIG welders was 95% CO2, 5% argon. Once I took a swig of CO2 from the nozzle when I accidentally pressed the gun trigger and well, I about passed out. It choked the hell out of me and made me cough for 10 min. CO2 can definitely kill you. In fact, O3 can kill you despite being rather close to O2. If you go in a room filled with nothing but O3 you will eventually die. Your paper bag example is a poor analogy because no matter how much you breath into a paper bag, the majority of the gas in the bag is still going to be O2. Try putting your nose up to a compressed CO2 bottle and open the nozzle a bit. That should make things a bit more clear. :)
More a lack of Oxygen maybe.:confused:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Topic is "Have you had any fuel related problems with the (Common Rail diesel) car since using B20?"

3516ACERT

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
... Try breathing into and from a paper bag for several minutes....
Try breathing into and from a plastic bag.

Lay on the floor so you don't fall down when you pass out.

Have an ambulance standing by.

They specify PAPER bags for hyperventilation because an O2 molecule can drive a truck through the holes in a paper bag.