Engine swap

Acezx

TDI
'10 Golf Sportwagen
I am looking you swap two front subframes with the engine and transmission... everything.

Both cars are 2010 one is a sportwagen and one is a hatchback. Is there guide/workshop manual, or any pointers/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Label everything on both sides of the connection as you take things apart, and take lots of photos.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
I assume they are both manual / dsg? the bently manual I have is pretty good, but gets a little vague at the mk5/6 transition, not going to have a step by step for what you want, but should cover all the individual steps, then its just up to you to put them together. good thing is most of the connections are unique/ keyed, so tough to really muck it up, just take your time and make sure you replace all the tty bolts. one other thing, make sure you clean and treat all the grounds with deoxit or something similar, aluminum tends to make a little oxide layer that will drive you nuts, I swapped a transmission on a civic once and could not get a good ground through the factory place on the trans to save my life.

Last edited:

Acezx

TDI
'10 Golf Sportwagen
I assume they are both manual / dsg? the bently manual I have is pretty good, but gets a little vague at the mk5/6 transition, not going to have a step by step for what you want, but should cover all the individual steps, then its just up to you to put them together. good thing is most of the connections are unique/ keyed, so tough to really muck it up, just take your time and make sure you replace all the tty bolts. one other thing, make sure you clean and treat all the grounds with deoxit or something similar, aluminum tends to make a little oxide layer that will drive you nuts, I swapped a transmission on a civic once and could not get a good ground through the factory place on the trans to save my life.

One is a manual, and one is a dsg; the respective transmissions will remain in their cars. I am in essense changing the engine and entire subframe...will replace the DSG housings bolts, any other bolts jump out at you that i should change?

Do you mind sharing with me which manual you have?

Also just overall here...i would need to disconnect fuel lines main engine harness,exhaust after that, pretty much suspension and then the subframe bolts...very general/overall process...sounds right? missing anything?

Regards

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
So you're swapping engines between a manual and a DSG car?

I'm not sure about this specific chassis but I know on 1.8t engines the pilot bearing is different and needs replacing. Might be worth looking into.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is no subframe that would have anything to do with swapping of the powertrain. They are not arranged like many other cars. The subframe would just stay in place most likely, just depends on how you want to do it.

Not entirely sure exactly what you are after here, though. Does one car have a bad engine? What are the specifics?

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
I have an o2q (I think) I would pull off the radiators and core support leave the exhaust in situe,once you take out the egr filter and disconnect the 3 bolts that hold the dpf to the engine it should be able to walk right away from it (check out rawteks instructions for exhaust removal, its well documented adn easy to follow. you should be able to leave the suspension and sub frame intact, the axles are flaged so you can just drop the inside free without disconnecting your ball joits, however if you decide to its only a few nuts adn the axle bolt, pretty easy. flywheel is going to be different, and being the dmfs do wear out Id put in a new one.

Acezx

TDI
'10 Golf Sportwagen
So one vehicle has 400,000km and the other 124,000km, i wanted to change over the entire front suspension along with the engine, while still keeping the sportwagen dsg (my wife prefers it).

So i figured i would do everything one go, and switch the transmissions with both subframes removed.

Figured i would disconnect the exhaust, and radiators any other bits like the fuse box etc, and thought everything else would drop out with the subframe.

oilhammer

TDI
You figured wrong. :)

The engine and transmission bolt to the body. The only part that attaches to the subframe is the little roll stopper mount at the bottom. You take the subframe out by itself.

Acezx

TDI
'10 Golf Sportwagen
You figured wrong. :)

The engine and transmission bolt to the body. The only part that attaches to the subframe is the little roll stopper mount at the bottom. You take the subframe out by itself.
So the engine and transmission will come out by itself, basically lifting it out like any other engine removal; and the subframe with the entire front suspension can be dropped out?

Does anyone know of a rudimentary guide to pulling the engine? I have pulled engines before, just never a VW or a diesel.

oilhammer

TDI
In not much more than the time it takes to read this thread, I could have the engine/trans sitting on the floor. Stop typing, start wrenching. It is not that hard. I take the whole front of the car off and slide the powertrain straight out the front. Suspension and steering and subframe is a totally different pile of parts.

Acezx

TDI
'10 Golf Sportwagen
In not much more than the time it takes to read this thread, I could have the engine/trans sitting on the floor. Stop typing, start wrenching. It is not that hard. I take the whole front of the car off and slide the powertrain straight out the front. Suspension and steering and subframe is a totally different pile of parts.

Thanks for the push...i have a tendency to overthink...realised this evening that i can pull the entire front off ... thanks. Mind if i pm you for any advice, or questions?

Regards

oilhammer

TDI
Post your questions here, so anyone stumbling across this thread can benefit from any exchange we have. I'm not going anywhere. ;)

Acezx

TDI
'10 Golf Sportwagen
Post your questions here, so anyone stumbling across this thread can benefit from any exchange we have. I'm not going anywhere. ;)
Pretty much ready to pull the engine ,straight out the front you weren't kidding when you said how quickly you can have the front completely taken apart. I was kind of stunned.

Radiator/intercooler/condensor assembly fully removed (draining the coolant was a pain to get sorted though, now i know what to do), popped out the axles, electricals disconnected, just have to sort out the fuel connections from the fuel filter, and i think its ready to come out.

I am planning to put a piece of wood under it jack up the engine and roll it out, what do you think?

Also i have been keeping track of everything, might do a write up after.

oilhammer

TDI
If you do not have a crane, then yes you'll have to rig up something else I suppose to get it out. Or rent a crane.

Lots of folk get to hand wringing over pulling the lock carrier assembly off, and I find this to be silly easy. Which is why I laugh at those who fret over doing a timing belt on a BHW Passat.... cake easy.

Acezx

TDI
'10 Golf Sportwagen
If you do not have a crane, then yes you'll have to rig up something else I suppose to get it out. Or rent a crane.
Lots of folk get to hand wringing over pulling the lock carrier assembly off, and I find this to be silly easy. Which is why I laugh at those who fret over doing a timing belt on a BHW Passat.... cake easy.

Any particular reason why there is concern with the lock carrier bearing?

Also are the bolts for the dsg transmission housing, a one time use bolts i.e. should i get new bolts?

Regards