Fuel leak at top of injection pump mk4

midairmark

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
I notice I have a small drip of fuel coming from the top of the injection pump; appears to be where the top plate meets the main body (under the 4 bolts the piece that slides for the hammer mod). I've tightened 3 of the 4 but I do not have that 5 sided socket to tighten the last one. I've tried every socket, wrench but cannot find something to try to snug it up to see if it stops the drip.

Has anyone had this issue and what did you do to get it to stop dripping? Is there a gasket under there to replace?

MK4 Jetta, it is the auto fuel pump.

Thanks

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Just a little general information for the benefit of everyone: the link points to a thread with other repair links for this operation. Basically you need a new gasket pair at the very least, a special socket to fit the Bosch anti-tamper fastener, and VCDS to make sure you can adjust the IQ correctly on reassembly. The torx bit should be in your possession already, if you are working on VWs.

This is not a difficult repair by any means, can be performed on the car easily in less than an hour. Just keep everything as antiseptically clean as possible, as this is a very very bad place to introduce any kind of dirt or other foreign material. If I were you, I'd scrub the outside with a toothbrush and carb or brake cleaner just on general principles, then have some paper towels available to keep any messes from happening.

You will probably want a vacuum pump to re-prime the injection pump when you are ready to re-start. And be sure to carefully mark the covers so you can put it back together as close to the original position as humanly possible. It is not possible to be too careful here, as it will save you lots of frustration in getting that initial start if you do it right.

Good luck,

PH