EGR Delete on 2004 Jetta Wagon

ky_tdi

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan, 2004 Jetta Wagon, 2005 Jetta Sedan
I want to delete the EGR on my 04 Jetta Wagon and cannot find a straight answer on the web if I need to tune the ECM after removing the EGR or not. Does anyone here have any experience with EGR delete on MK4 jettas?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you remove the EGR or block airflow to it your car will throw a code for EGR flow, and illuminate the check engine light. However, it won't affect how it runs. Tuning will delete the EGR duty cycle and turn the light off.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
You can-
1. Tune it out using VCDS
2. Remove/block it off, this may trigger a CEL, requires special tuning to eliminate.

The EGRs usually function just fine, other than getting pretty dirty on occasion. Folks like to cut it out just cause it's part of the dreaded Omission Controls.

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
You can reduce EGR flow with VCDS, but you cannot "turn it off."
And, it's my understanding you can't reduce it at all on a BEW? Could be wrong... wouldn't be the first time. :) :)

OP: bottom line: CEL without a tune. It's a key part of the car's emission control system and carefully monitored for proper function.

TwinTurboKen

TDI
04 Jetta 5-spd TDI
You have a couple options with EGR on the tuning side via malone tuning.

1. EGR delete. Keeps the EGR closed so it doesn't ever cycle.
2. dynamic EGR (tuning I currently use)

dynamic EGR + high idle will utilize but limit EGR flow while the engine is cold and ramp idle up to ~ 1200rpm to help warm up the engine and help maintain engine temp. Once the engine is warmed up it will cycle the EGR off and return idle to normal. This helps maintain good fuel economy and keeps the engine at operating temp.

With the EGR fully deleted you will find that the engine does not maintain operating temp and because of this fuel economy will noticeably drop.

Full delete tune will allow you to also remove the EGR hardware and install a blockoff plate, or you can leave it on, but it's not going to cycle open regardless. downside is you will likely lose some fuel economy unless you live in a very warm climate.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
From what I've read and been told, PD motors get up to temp the same or faster with EGR deletes. From personal experience, ALH engines suffer from longer warmup without EGR's.

My BEW with the egr turned off seems the same, but I'll be removing the egr system soon so I'll find out.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
From what I've read and been told, PD motors get up to temp the same or faster with EGR deletes. From personal experience, ALH engines suffer from longer warmup without EGR's.

My BEW with the egr turned off seems the same, but I'll be removing the egr system soon so I'll find out.
I would have to agree with this. My EGR is fully removed (valve is gone, cooler is gone, hoses bypassed, tuned out) and I don't think the engine warms up any slower.

It does warm up slowly, compared to a gas powered car, but it was always like that, even with the EGR system.

WutupYo

TDI
Jetta wagon
I'm currently searching the forum for answers, but I want to do an EGR delete at the same time I have my timing belt changed and intake manifold cleaned. I'm a little hesitant to doing a delete mainly because I want to keep the ASV operational. If I read correctly before, the ASV is part of the EGR system and doing an EGR delete will remove the ASV. Can some shed some light if that is correct, and if so, is there a way to do it while keep the ASV?

Thanks. Feel free to link to the answer or message me. I'm still searching.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I'm currently searching the forum for answers, but I want to do an EGR delete at the same time I have my timing belt changed and intake manifold cleaned. I'm a little hesitant to doing a delete mainly because I want to keep the ASV operational. If I read correctly before, the ASV is part of the EGR system and doing an EGR delete will remove the ASV. Can some shed some light if that is correct, and if so, is there a way to do it while keep the ASV?
There are 2 motors on the EGR and intake system. You leave the ASV operational as its the butterfly at the front of the intake. As I've read, if you have a 5/6 speed, the ASV isn't needed.

Last edited:

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW

The ASV and EGR are separate on the BEW. You can completely remove everything EGR related and not touch the ASV and have it still functioning

Onsit

TDI
04 Jetta GLS
On the BEW it's a worthwhile endeavor to remove the egr and cooler.

• Flex pipes like to crack, EGR delete costs half the cost of a new flex pipe
  • If and when your stock turbo goes and you want to upgrade to the VNT-17, you wont have to spend money on an EGR adapter to work
  • Less vacuum lines to worry about cracking, or coming undone.

It's a cheap mod, but it is very difficult to get the cooler off, you will almost regret doing the hardware based delete of the EGR.

Also if and when you choose to do the hardware delete CONFIRM whoever you bought the kit from sent you a BEW kit, and not a BRM kit. The BRM has a smaller block off plate for the intake manifold.

I learned his the hardway when aarodriquez store sent me a BRM kit by mistake, and was left with an inoperable car for 2 days while I waited for next-day shipping for the proper part.

WutupYo

TDI
Jetta wagon
There are 2 motors on the EGR and intake system. You leave the ASV operational as its the butterfly at the front of the intake. As I've read, if you have a 5/6 speed, the ASV isn't needed.
The ASV and EGR are separate on the BEW. You can completely remove everything EGR related and not touch the ASV and have it still functioning
On the BEW it's a worthwhile endeavor to remove the egr and cooler.
  • Flex pipes like to crack, EGR delete costs half the cost of a new flex pipe
  • If and when your stock turbo goes and you want to upgrade to the VNT-17, you wont have to spend money on an EGR adapter to work
  • Less vacuum lines to worry about cracking, or coming undone.
It's a cheap mod, but it is very difficult to get the cooler off, you will almost regret doing the hardware based delete of the EGR.
Also if and when you choose to do the hardware delete CONFIRM whoever you bought the kit from sent you a BEW kit, and not a BRM kit. The BRM has a smaller block off plate for the intake manifold.
I learned his the hardway when aarodriquez store sent me a BRM kit by mistake, and was left with an inoperable car for 2 days while I waited for next-day shipping for the proper part.
This is all exactly what I needed to know. I have an 05 wagon so its the BEW. Thanks a lot everyone.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I used that one too. Funny thing, I put the EGR valve back in, car was a lot noisier inside the cabin without it and it actually seemed to make less power. :confused:

Onsit

TDI
04 Jetta GLS
Noisier? What kind of noise? I don't remember mine making a difference but probably didn't listen close enough
There was a slight sound increase for mine as well when I did the delete. I attributed that to the fact the 4th runner on the intake manifold always flowing more air, instead of being toggled while the egr cycled.

Whatever that little actuator near the runner leading to the head does.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
The actuator opens or closes four butterfly valves in the intake runners. I removed all that junk. If you split the manifold where the two parts bolt together you can see the butterfly valves and rip them out with pliers.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Noisier? What kind of noise? I don't remember mine making a difference but probably didn't listen close enough
Way more intake noise, and very noticeable. I did the EGR removal and then hit the coke, going up some of those hills was almost unbearable for cabin noise, whereas same trip before, drive it alot, was much quieter with the EGR valve in. Doesn't matter anyhow, putting a Passat intake on with the race pipe, :p