MN Chat Thread

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Hey guys! I have an ALH hanging in my isuzu trooper. Im working on the wiring and other things but I would just love to see someones engine in person so I can wrap my head around a couple of things. Im up in east bethel. Also happy to hang if anyone wants to see the swap! its one of a kind with some interesting parts.

You might want to try and get a hold of Greengeeker, he's fairly near you, and he's a real smart cookie with a long history of breaking little hearts... Whoops.

He put an Alh in a Ford Ranger, and a Guru, so he knows what he's doing.

Sam

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Not mine!

Dieselgeek mk4 skid plate. $100 in North branch, MN

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Dieselgeek now supplies all the necessary parts. That was not the case until recently.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Dieselgeek now supplies all the necessary parts. That was not the case until recently.
Yes, double checked just because I couldn't remember if they were making the skidplates again or not. They are $350 for one not including hardware. I think i paid $75 for mine about 6 years or so ago. Definitely worth the $100 imo. Half tempted to get it, but I don't currently have a use, and don't see myself needing it in the near future

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Yes, double checked just because I couldn't remember if they were making the skidplates again or not. They are $350 for one not including hardware. I think i paid $75 for mine about 6 years or so ago. Definitely worth the $100 imo. Half tempted to get it, but I don't currently have a use, and don't see myself needing it in the near future
The current Mk4 kit includes the mounting posts and the other hardware for $349. Two mounting posts plus the hardware kit would be about $190, plus the Panzer plate itself for $100. Not a tremendous savings, but these Panzer plates really need to be put to use. The one that was on my red Golf is now on my indigo blue wagon. My silver wagon has an Evolution skid plate because the DG hardware was not available at that time.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
The current Mk4 kit includes the mounting posts and the other hardware for $349. Two mounting posts plus the hardware kit would be about $190, plus the Panzer plate itself for $100. Not a tremendous savings, but these Panzer plates really need to be put to use. The one that was on my red Golf is now on my indigo blue wagon. My silver wagon has an Evolution skid plate because the DG hardware was not available at that time.
Oh, I guess your right. I didn't notice that being included though it makes better sense now. Man have prices gone up. When I got mine the mounting/hardware kit was around the 110$ benchmark iirc. I only bought the rivnuts and bolt kit though for like 30$ and the posts where $40 each at the time.

vwbmw

TDI
2002 Golf GL 5spd blk
I've found glow plugs at NAPA, but it's easier to build up the order with stuff your going to need anyways like filters to qualify for free shipping from ID parts. BTW, the glow plug wiring harness on these cars fails often and may be the problem.
So I replaced glow plugs #1 and #4 (read 3.4, 1.1 ohms) with two 'OEM' Beru GN855 from local NAPA ..and sprayed DeoxIT D5 in harness caps (interiors look as-new). Now all four plugs read 0.6 ohms, which presumably improved something ..but CEL/MIL light still comes/stays On once I begin moving ..so my 'fix' doesn't 'clear' it? ..needs to be re-scanned, cleared/reset?

Last edited:

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Could be the harness. On the A4's, I was surprised how easy it was to replace.

So I replaced glow plugs #1 and #4 (read 3.4, 1.1 ohms) with two 'OEM' Beru GN855 from local NAPA ..and sprayed DeoxIT D5 in harness caps (interiors look as-new). Now all four plugs read 0.6 ohms, which presumably improved something ..but CEL/MIL light still comes/stays On once I begin moving ..so my 'fix' doesn't 'clear' it? ..needs to be re-scanned, cleared/reset?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Unless you have cleared the fault code it stays in the ECU until it has been cleared and the fault is corrected.
Even after the repair the code needs to be cleared.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I check back in and the red golf that could finally decided it couldn't?
What was the final straw?
My goal for the red Golf was one million miles. It could have gone further but it was a work car and I am now semi-retired. I have two Jetta TDI wagons, both in fine condition, and if I decide to do any courier work in the future then either one can do the job.