2005 Passat GLS Wagon

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
This is my first post to the forum. I have signed up to learn more about TDI's, and I live in CA. Can anyone tell me what this dealer is smoking to charge 10% more than MSRP for a used TDI?

I know TDI's are not sold in CA, but cmon!

Did I say this was my first post? And I did it in the classified section? Oh boy, I feel the flames comming!

blitzoid

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue '02 Golf GLS TDI
He's not smoking anything. this is in line with KBB retail values for a TDI in CA.

Steve will have no problem selling the car at that price. It might not go to someone here, because people here tend to be more frugal, but it will get sold.

Many members travel across the country to buy a TDI in good shape. Prices tend to be more affordable on the east coast.

Also - you have to consider the cost of bringing such a car into CA, and the general costs of doing business. I would guess that the amount of profit to the dealer, when all costs are accounted for is not all that impressive. He's not robbing anyone blind, by any stretch.

I'm sure Harv (you'll see/hear plenty from him soon, just wait) will chip in with a few words as well to the same effect.

Welcome to the forum!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Can anyone tell me what this dealer is smoking to charge 10% more than MSRP for a used TDI?

Nice 1st post !!
...and she's a wagon....and the miles are right.

The guy is a well- established forum brother. Take it easy on him.

There is frequently a big spread between "asking" price and "selling" price. Find out how flexible he can be if you're a serious buyer.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the welcome guys! I've been lurking for a long while, but never registered. I thought I would catch some heat by having my first post in the FS forum (most don't like newbies posting here).

I also thought that most forum members frowned on people taking +7k milage cars to CA and then jacking up the price, when you can get the same milage car in AZ or WA and drive it to CA and register with no problems (as long as it's 7K+ miles) for less. As they are a long time poster, I have no doubt they know the deal on pricing, as it's their business (and no business of mine!).

I am in the market for a 2004 passat TDI, and I will be eyeing used ones that should be turning 10-20K in 2005. Then it should be no hassle to bring into CA. As the new passat comes out this year, hopefully some b5.5's will show up as trade-ins.

What really interests me is the steps to bring a NEW (0 milage) TDI into CA...such as the draining the oil in a clunker at an out of state VW dealership.

days-like-this

Veteran Member
TDI
future A3 TDI-er
gcodori, I may be selling my 2004 TDI passat wagon more in your price range. I'll send you a PM.

it's true, however, this guy will have no problem selling this 2005...

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I thought I would catch some heat by having my first post in the FS forum (most don't like newbies posting here).

I luv it !

I also thought that most forum members frowned on people taking +7k milage cars to CA and then jacking up the price, when you can get the same milage car in AZ or WA and drive it to CA and register with no problems (as long as it's 7K+ miles) for less. As they are a long time poster, I have no doubt they know the deal on pricing, as it's their business (and no business of mine!).

No one wants to pay more, but would it be a better situation if there were no TDis available in CARB states at ANY price? I don't think so. You can buy local and pay a few grand more or you can take a 1000 mile roadtrip to bring your new (7500 mile, previously-titled) car home! No big deal.

Bottom Line: Poke around, there are plenty of used PD wagons across the country.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Hi Mark (blitzoid), DD, and our newbie member, gcodori, There is no way I can add to the postings by Mark and DD in this topic. In other words, they are spot on. gcodori, please be careful on your posting contents unless you are absolutely sure of what you are attempting to convey. I can assure you that Steve Ahl or myself do not make a killing on the 04-05 non-compliant TDI's we offer for sale. We have to use hours of dilligent searching along with extra costs involved in making these vehicle conform to compliance. BTW, welcome to the tdiclub and please chime in often and lurk to learn. Later!

ahlcar

Thanks. I have learned the hard way of bringing cars into CA legally. I just bought one back that I sold to a local VW dealer. I made a mistake and did not cover myself. I paid the VW dealer $900 more than I sold it to them, and paid $600 in commissions the the salesmen that sold it. I was not obligated to do that but they sold the car in good faith and it was my fault they lost their commissions. Now I have to sell the car out of CA. Can you believe a tdi clubber has asked me to guide him through the steps on how to bring in an 04 or 05 tdi to CA so he can have one for less $$? I told him I would gladly sell one to him but I have paid dearly to learn.
The car I have to sell outside of CA is a 2004 Jetta GLS, Plat. Gray with gray leather and all the bells & whistles, 10k. $20k. I have offered this also as an alternative car for the raffle if an out of stater wins it.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
Like I said above, I have no idea the proper pricing for TDI's in CA, so I trust their judgement. It just at first glance it looked high, but I stand corrected.

AHLCAR, can you go into detail about what happened when selling that car you had to buy back? What was the issue?

Do you think you could start a seperate thread in this forum regarding buying out of state TDI for use in CA? I know the milage rule is one way of doing it, but isn't there a way of killing a junker out of state and buying a "replacement" TDI for use in CA?

Biodezl

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005, Teal; Golf, 1999, Metalic Green, Auto
What's up with that? I thought that if you had 10k on the odometer of a previously titled vehicle that you were free to buy/sell it in CA?

ahlcar

I personally would not try that route. If CA doesn't buy your story, you are stuck with a car that can't be registered in CA. As a dealer, it wouldn't fly for me. I did have an employee once whose truck was involved in an accident(totaled) in WA. He bought a new truck to replace the wrecked one and drove back to CA. It did not have a CA cert. sticker under the hood. He was hounded by a relentless DMV to prove everything. He was frustrated and angry for months trying to get his vehicle registered. So, given how someone who hasn't done it but says all you have to do is blow up a junker outside of CA, I wouldn't risk the cost of trying it. It sounds good talking it but DMV is not stooopid and they have the might to protect their turf.
As for my folly, I bought a car with less than 7500 miles at the time of purchase, thinking dealers were exempt and that the retail buyer was the one to have the 7500 mile rule. Not so. Any CA resident or CA entity is how the law is worded.

Biodezl

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005, Teal; Golf, 1999, Metalic Green, Auto
So does this car now have the "cooties" and can not be sold by you to anyone in California? What a bummer!

If I win the lottery, I'll have my neice in Nevada take title of it, then sell it to me.

-BIODEZL

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
So does this car now have the "cooties" and can not be sold by you to anyone in California? What a bummer! If I win the lottery, I'll have my neice in Nevada take title of it, then sell it to me. -BIODEZL

Be careful when trying that, as I've heard that once a prohibited vehicle has been denied California
registration for whatever reason, the almighty DMV enters that vehicle's VIN into their computers
and it is permanently blacklisted from California registration no matter who's trying to register it.

This rather helpful bit of information was provided to us by our friend Leonard Harvieu, and he should know.

Don't simply take my word for it, but the DMV can be something else at times.

My next door neighbor is going through that sort of hell at the present time.
They just bought a beautiful 2000 Discovery "land yacht" with less than 6000 miles on the odometer.
They purchased it in Arizona from a private party and it now
has TX plates, but originally was owned by a party from PA.
Our California DMV is saying that they must be able to see some EPA sticker that is supposed to
be somewhere on this forty footer Cummins powered beauty, and our neighbor cannot locate it.
That's where it stands the last time I heard.
Meanwhile, they have the vehicle here, and cannot register it now because of that missing EPA sticker.
I think the DMV is considering this over four year old motor home as being new and
not used because of it not having their required 7500 miles! And it is a diesel.

Have you ever heard of anything so stupid?

I didn't know they would pull that same baloney on trucks and larger vehicles.

"Be careful, it's a jungle out there!"

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
Ahlcar,

For those of us who may end up buying a TDI out of state, where would this EPA cert sticker be located on various VW models?

Also, is there a way of knowing if a car has been blacklisted? Can a VIN# check show this?

Thanks!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Steve, are we missing something? Is there an issue where previously titled TDis with greater than 7500 miles can't be registered in CA?

Harvieux

TDI
Hi DD, Steve acquired this vehicle from out of state B4 the 7500 mile threshold was met with him thinking that it may slide through due to the needed miles being put on from his end B4 the customer took possession. Bottom line here is that a non-compliant vehicle has to have at least 7500 miles on it while still titled and registered by the "Out of State" previous owner. I warn everyone I come in contact with that thinks they can buy a vehicle on eBay with say, 5000 mile on it and then fly to Florida for example, take possession thinking they are OK because it will have over 7500 B4 it get's to CA DMV for verification, only to find out registration has been denied. There have been quite a few crying saps over this matter and then they are forced to off the vehicle through some out of state broker or the like and end up losing out bigtime. Later!

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
from #969965 above:

Hi DD, Steve acquired this vehicle from out of state B4 the 7500 mile threshold was met with him thinking that it may slide through due to the needed miles being put on from his end B4 the customer took possession. Bottom line here is that a non-compliant vehicle has to have at least 7500 miles on it while still titled and registered by the "Out of State" previous owner. I warn everyone I come in contact with that thinks they can buy a vehicle on eBay with say, 5000 mile on it and then fly to Florida for example, take possession thinking they are OK because it will have over 7500 B4 it get's to CA DMV for verification, only to find out registration has been denied. There have been quite a few crying saps over this matter and then they are forced to off the vehicle through some out of state broker or the like and end up losing out bigtime. Later!

Interesting!

You did the exact same thing didn't you with that Passat you brought in from Oregon?
So how is it that you could do that, and Steve could not?

ahlcar

The thing that matters is an odometer statement from the seller to the buyer. If it shows 7500 miles at the time of purchase, CA will recognize the car as used, making it eligable for sale in CA. If you are committing perjury on this fact and GET CAUGHT, you will PAY!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hi DD, Steve acquired this vehicle from out of state B4 the 7500 mile threshold was met with him thinking that it may slide through due to the needed miles being put on from his end B4 the customer took possession. Bottom line here is that a non-compliant vehicle has to have at least 7500 miles on it while still titled and registered by the "Out of State" previous owner.
Oh, now I see where you're going with this. I am surpised they're that anal about the 7,500 mile accumulation. Better to know about it now rather than later. Thanks for explaining. Buyer BEWARE !!

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The thing that matters is an odometer statement from the seller to the buyer. If it shows 7500 miles at the time of purchase, CA will recognize the car as used, making it eligable for sale in CA. If you are committing perjury on this fact and GET CAUGHT, you will PAY!

So had the seller from whom you purchased the car been willing to falsify the odometer
reading, and the required miles been added later after you purchased it,
you'd have been okay as far as the Califonia DMV is concerned?

Wonder who did what concerning the paperwork on a certain Passat that
entered California without already having 7,500 miles on the odometer?

Harvieux

TDI
This was a dealer to dealer transaction that was handled through the auction in order to enable me to have an inspection to be performed to verify this vehicle's integrity to eliminate surprises
. The selling dealer had to wait until the title was released from the lending institution. Since the title was not available for 10-15 days, if I remember correctly. The funds to purchase the vehicle remains in the form of a dealer draft until title is physically produced. By the time the title was produced, the vehicle had already met the mileage threshold and therefore was still legally owned by the selling dealer. I informed the selling dealer what needed to be entered and Bingo, it's a done deal. This is a legal loophole which can be used by a dealer because of title delay but, only if the transaction is coordinated with the seller beforehand. Later!

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
#970185 - Fri Mar 18 2005 06:35 PM

This was a dealer to dealer transaction that was handled through the auction in order to enable me to have an inspection to be performed to verify this vehicle's integrity to eliminate surprises
. The selling dealer had to wait until the title was released from the lending institution. Since the title was not available for 10-15 days, if I remember correctly. The funds to purchase the vehicle remains in the form of a dealer draft until title is physically produced. By the time the title was produced, the vehicle had already met the mileage threshold and therefore was still legally owned by the selling dealer. I informed the selling dealer what needed to be entered and Bingo, it's a done deal. This is a legal loophole which can be used by a dealer because of title delay but, only if the transaction is coordinated with the seller beforehand. Later!

So it would then follow that this same end-run could be done between a private party and the selling party, couldn't it?

If you'll read the fine print from the California DMV, I think you'll find that
the add-on mileages must be done outside of the state of California.

Harvieux

TDI
I suppose it could but, I doubt that a private party buyer would be willing to pay upfront for a vehicle and trust that the private party seller would properly enter on the title once recieved from the bank let alone send funds in to the bank holding the title. Most private party sales would demand that cash accompany a clear title.

These are very good questions. So good, I felt obligated to disclose one of my trade secrets. Not that I really have any competition locally but, none the less. I really don't have to rely on this loophole much anymore because most of the 04's now have close to or over the 7500 miles. I'm not really doing the 05's at this time due to the cost. Remember, I didn't do that good from a profit standpoint on that white 04 Passat so, I took that as a lesson
. Later!

Matt_OToole

Veteran Member
TDI
none -- car free for now!
So does this car now have the "cooties" and can not be sold by you to anyone in California? What a bummer! If I win the lottery, I'll have my neice in Nevada take title of it, then sell it to me. -BIODEZL

Be careful when trying that, as I've heard that once a prohibited vehicle has been denied California
registration for whatever reason, the almighty DMV enters that vehicle's VIN into their computers
and it is permanently blacklisted from California registration no matter who's trying to register it.
Is there any way to find out from CA DMV if a car has been blacklisted? I wouldn't want to buy one of these cars, and then discover I can't register it in CA if I decide to move back there.

Harvieux

TDI
Hi Matt, I was told about the CA DMV blacklisting of non-conforming vehicle registration attempts from a licenced CA DMV registration agent/verifier. Since then I was again told that this is a fact but, I have never tested the waters and therefore, I really can't say for certain if this is 100% accurate. I damn sure wouldn't want to be the Guienea pig, would you? Later!

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
The best way to take care of all this crap is to "know" a DMV employee.

Saves a lot of hassle.

ooops

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have never tested the waters . .

Perhaps someone might be able to do so if they had that particular VIN from Steve?

Don't know how to attempt this, but with your connections,
perhaps you might be able to check this out?

Simply an idea mind you.

Harvieux

TDI
The best way to take care of all this crap is to "know" a DMV employee.
Hi mannytranny, This statement couldn't be further from reality. You can kinda think of most DMV personel in a similar manner as most dealer TDI techs
. Lots of inadequacies pass through the local DMV offices and end up being stalled in what's called, "suspense mode" in Sacramento where the department's vehicle code specialists are domiciled. Just like after a trip to the dealer for warranty work, you find your upper engine cover caps down in your lower engine cover or the oil level an inch above the hash marks
! Later!