So my timing belt broke....

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
A compression test is a good idea.

Also, until we know the torsion value in engine group 4 is around 0.0 degrees, it's difficult to move on to thinking of other possible causes of rough running. Complicating matters, if this adjustment is out of range, it reads 0.0. So what I like to do is adjust it a little bit so I can see that it changed, and then adjust it back. TINY adjustments make a big difference. If it's far enough out of adjustment for the engine to run badly, it may take several adjustments to get a meaningful reading, and then more adjustments to get it to 0.0. Last time I needed to adjust it, it took perhaps a dozen adjustments to get it right.

After someone who is familiar with this engine has verified that the timing belt was installed correctly, the cam timing was adjusted correctly, and the injector rocker lash was adjusted correctly, and the engine still runs poorly, then we could start looking at other possible causes of poor running. This is stuff the mechanic should easily be able to tell you, if he did it. Making these adjustments is all just a routine part of the job that was done. We know he removed the cam and injector rockers because he replaced the valves and lifters. This is why the injector rockers should be adjusted, in addition to the cam timing. (If it was only a routine timing belt job, only the cam timing would need to be checked)

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
Well I got the issue fixed from the timing belt failure. After a 5 minute chat with German Diesel Motorwerks, he told me to bring the car down and he will adjust timing and I should be all set to go! I was in contact with the shop in ohio and he said he will pay the bill from whoever does the adjustment.
GDM found timing at -.34? I may have that number wrong but anyway he adjusted it up to -.1 I think and the car runs much better. I haven't gotten to try it in cold weather as its been in the shop for the five speed swap but full power is back and im also getting more black smoke when I step on it like I used to. Thanks for all your input guys, I value your thoughts and support! Also checkout my post under Auto to Manual swap in the parts for sale section if you need anything for your MK4, I have some of this and that laying around.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Good to hear, setting the torsion is relatively easy, and a big plus that the shop in Ohio will stand behind their work and foot the bill for the final step they didn’t have the proper tool for.

Mine 05 is set at -.05 and that seems to be the sweet spot for my engine.