www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old November 27th, 2018, 10:16   #211
N_Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93celicaconv View Post
First I would suggest looking for stickers under your hood. That will frame what you have now better.

Second, for these 2.0L Gen 3 engines, most folks who responded to this and similar threads have seen no drive-ability issues. MPG impacts are not clear to me (some say they went down a tad, others say no change, others say they saw a slight improvement). If this was a Gen 1 or Gen 2 question, there seems to exist a lot more negative effects on drive-ability and fuel economy - but not on these Gen 3 engines.

Not getting the fix - downsides? No extended warranty on your engine and exhaust system. And more emissions that the EPA says are harmful to our environment.
I will check for the sticker, but the VW recall website search shows the recall as open.

If they are extending the emission warranty, it is probably worth it, since her plan is to keep the car long term.
N_Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2018, 11:21   #212
sohccammer427
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ?~45~?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Jay View Post
I will check for the sticker, but the VW recall website search shows the recall as open.
If they are extending the emission warranty, it is probably worth it, since her plan is to keep the car long term.
Yes, it's definitively worth getting it done for the extended warranty.
Gets more interesting. I suggest you get to a dealer soon. I did call the claims hotline because I was curious myself. Like stated earlier, too late for a restitution claim. But you have until 12/30/18 for the dealer to contact VW to authorize the repairs. After 12/30/18 per the court settlement VW is no longer obligated to fix the cars at their expense. At least that's what the rep told me.
It's probably buried in the court documents. If I come across it, Ill post the link.
Old November 27th, 2018, 11:49   #213
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Did you buy the car from a VW dealer, any other dealer or an individual?
Old November 27th, 2018, 12:04   #214
N_Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Did you buy the car from a VW dealer, any other dealer or an individual?
High end independent dealer.
Old November 27th, 2018, 13:35   #215
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Highly unlikely they or the original owner didn't get the first part of the fix done and collect the money. The VW web site is known to be out of date or wrong, so I wouldn't trust it alone.
Old November 27th, 2018, 14:01   #216
N_Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Highly unlikely they or the original owner didn't get the first part of the fix done and collect the money. The VW web site is known to be out of date or wrong, so I wouldn't trust it alone.
So, if they got the first part, do we still need the second to get the extended warranty?
Old November 27th, 2018, 15:16   #217
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Part one got 2/3 rds of the money. I can't answer your question, but why risk it? Get part 2 if needed when you can and just be done with it. The warranty is worth having and if you have any issues you may have to get it anyway due to only the new parts can be used.
Old November 28th, 2018, 17:59   #218
Chiroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohccammer427 View Post
Gets more interesting. I suggest you get to a dealer soon. I did call the claims hotline because I was curious myself. Like stated earlier, too late for a restitution claim. But you have until 12/30/18 for the dealer to contact VW to authorize the repairs. After 12/30/18 per the court settlement VW is no longer obligated to fix the cars at their expense. At least that's what the rep told me.

The 12/30/18 deadline is only for those who have filed a claim for restitution. In order to get your restitution money, your fix needs to be completed before Dec 31st. You can still get the fix done for free after Dec 31st, you just won't get the restitution money. For anyone else who does not have a claim, such as those who purchased their vehicles after Sep 1st/18 and therefore can not file a claim, and those that bought new old-stock like myself, the fix can still be completed for free after Dec 31/18.
Chiroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2018, 06:20   #219
N_Jay

Looks like it had Part 1 done "Proof of Partial Completion" with "Software Update" checked.
7/28/17
Old November 29th, 2018, 07:28   #220
sohccammer427
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiroman View Post
The 12/30/18 deadline is only for those who have filed a claim for restitution. In order to get your restitution money, your fix needs to be completed before Dec 31st. You can still get the fix done for free after Dec 31st, you just won't get the restitution money. For anyone else who does not have a claim, such as those who purchased their vehicles after Sep 1st/18 and therefore can not file a claim, and those that bought new old-stock like myself, the fix can still be completed for free after Dec 31/18.
That just goes to show how totally incompetent the claims hotline reps are.
I went real slow and asked if a person owned a 2015 Passat and had never filed a claim could it still be fixed no charge. She understood the question and said only through 12/30/18. Just like calling an IRS agent. You get a different answer from different agents. lol
Anyhow picking my 2015 Passat 6 speed up this afternoon. 50,000 miles. 11 days in the shop. Service rep said I did get a new DPF, but what do they know. (Kinda like the hotline reps). I will post the service record tomorrow.
Old November 29th, 2018, 08:32   #221
N_Jay

Convinced Daughter's hubby to call and see what they will do, specifically for the warrantee, since they plan on keeping it long term (The norm in our family).
Old November 29th, 2018, 17:01   #222
sohccammer427
Veteran Member

Picked my 2015 Passat 6-speed up from the dealer from having P2 done. EA288 engine. Looks like I got the GEN3 PHASE 2B KIT
Don't know the parts in the 2B, but was told I got a new DPF. Car has 49,700 miles.
Doing an OC this weekend. Will drop the belly pan and check thinks out. Might take a photo or two and post later.
Service manager says no front end alignment required. Car was perfect driving home from the dealer. Wheel centered and tracked straight. Too early to comment any further until I drive is some more. But it did have a much different sound/tone, especially when idling.
Glad it's done! Now come on CHASE Bank!
Old November 29th, 2018, 20:33   #223
N_Jay

What about the tone was different?
Old November 30th, 2018, 06:32   #224
sohccammer427
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Jay View Post
What about the tone was different?
Hard to put into words. VW even documents it in it's "what to expect" literature. Pre P1, P1 and P2 all had a produced a different engine sound. Related to the tuning.
If this were going to be my daily driver, I'd definitively get a stage 1 tune.
Really miss driving the Tdi. It's wifey's car now. I'm stuck in a Chevy Colorado. No where near as exciting/fun to drive.