finally got my Vag-com...car is way off!!!

dbusch

I have RC2 and 764 sprints on a 1997 Jetta. I finally bought a Vag-com and hooked it up last night. IQ at idle was 1.6. Timing is only on 33/117. The highest i could get the IQ was 2.4, and that did little to nothing to stop the part load shuddering I sometimes get. Looks like i need to hammer the pump first? I guess i need that special socket to loosen the center bolt on the top of the pump. And, advance the timing up into the middle of the spec instead of just barely in the bottom of the spec? Any special tools needed for that??

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Re: finally got my Vac-com...car is way off!!!

dbush...neither of these tasks I would really suggest that just someone who wants to tinker does. You need to be confident with your tooling, and you need to be able to make only small changes. The nice thing about the A3s is that the timing can be changed WHILE the engine is running. I have done it twice on my car (bit of a story why it was twice). Anyhow, for the hammer mod, you need a special tool. You can buy it from Metalnerd. For the timing, not much special in terms of tools...just some patience and a little attention to detail. (Don't let the nuts out TOO MUCH!) If you have to make sizeable changes to the pump angle, then after you are finished adjusting, loosen the nuts on the hard fuel lines to release any stress on the lines. They are pretty hard, but best to do things right, so to remove any future problems.

If you post where you are from, maybe a local member would be willing to help you out.

dbusch

Setting the timing was pretty easy, and yes i had to move it a mile to get it right. It is just above the center "perfect" setting. I did reset the lines too. Cold start is perfect now. Still shuddering at part load sometimes...getting the injectors pop tested next. If that doesnt show a problem then i will change to some sprint 520s or maybe the pricier powerplus 520 if that would keep the power and help the driveability. I really dont want to raise the IQ above 3 to get rid of the shudder since that is more of a band aid then a true cure for the problem. And, i dont want to remove the RC2 chip as it gives great power.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI

If you're going to get your injectors pop tested, why don't you put on the sprint 520s at the same time? Remember, this is the injector that the Rocketchip 2 was designed to run with.

As far as the IQ, I'm running the RC 2, and have the IQ at 4.8. No issues whatsoever. Lots less smoke, too.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI

I have rocketchip stage 3 and KERMA's .205 injectors. Every now and then (maybe once per tank) I get slight shuddering at 40mph in 5th gear. I can't figure out why it happens, no specific conditions cause it.

I think it's a "hiccup" in fueling, because it almost always occurs under extremely light throttle going between "throttle off" and "0-5%" pedal pressure. If that makes sense!? Perhaps the most goofy thing is it doesn't do it consistently, as I said maybe once per tank and when it does it's only briefly.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf

It will do it more now the cold weather is here/coming.