Cracked DPF and Buyback

PMG

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I have been driving with a CEL along with P0401 error code w/ sooty tailpipe for a few weeks now and I am expecting cracked DPF. Definitely going the buyback route.

Is it OK to continue driving until Oct/Nov? Should I take it to the dealer? Wonder if i have to consider garaging it a buying a replacement not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

kszach

TDI
2010 JSW
I've been driving like that for years. The worst part of the whole thing is that it would have been warrantied if the dealer would have recognized the cause of my P0401 codes way back.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I believe what you have is a clogged EGR filter, from the cracked DPF. The dealer will tell you everything needs to be replaced. Lots of money.
You can get more time out of the car by cleaning the EGR filter.
I don't know how important the EGR is to keeping the car running. You might be okay. If the DPF was not regenerating you could have an issue, but I think you are okay to get through to the buyout date. Hopefully.

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
Operatable condition

I think you will be OK if you can drive the car to the dealer when its time.
I read nothing about condition, MIL lamps, etc. It seems the only requirement is that is has to be "operable."
Just my take on this.

Preliminary settlement definitions

2.50. “Operable” means a vehicle that can be driven under its own 2.0-liter TDI engine
power. A vehicle is not Operable if it had a Branded Title of Assembled, Dismantled, Flood,
Junk, Rebuilt, Reconstructed, or Salvaged on September 18, 2015, and was acquired by any
person or entity from a junkyard or salvage yard after September 18, 2015.

kszach

TDI
2010 JSW
Drive it until they purchase it! That is my intentions. Cracked DPF, clogged EGR, seized exhaust flapper valve, broken radio, broken windshield... my car has it all.

The cracked DPF and EGR issue has been going longer than I care to recall, you will not have any problems before you sell yours back to VW.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
I am in the same boat found out a few weeks ago, dealer wants $2600 to replace this " maintenance " item, I was on the fence but that sent me into the buyback camp, I am gonna drive it like it is, if it becomes really crappy I will park it until buyback happens, I am lucky I have 2 extras cars if needed. Do not bother with the dealer, if your tailpipe is blacked it is cracked, unless your under 80,000 miles then I think it will be covered.