Dont let the door

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I'd prefer to keep my '13, but the buyback offer of about what I paid for it new less the sales tax is hard to resist..

+1. (And - in this sailor's view - here we've a double positive for VW)

ez sends

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
as bad as VW is on reliability sometimes, I don't think they can make something as bad as a chevy equinox.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Oil hammer
Not sure how you can say a cracked DPF is not really a big deal, I have a 2011 mine cracked , dealer wanted 2600 to replace it, my trusted Indie said about $1700 which I consider a pretty big repair, I have 127,000 when my cracked.
FYI when my HPFP went , nothing else went I was able to drive it to VW and they only replaced the pump.
I was leaning towards the fix but the Cracked DPF will be sending me me to a buyback, if they sell the 15 or 16's TDI I may buy that if I get a deal.
U mind sharing the indie contact info ? Might send some biz his way ))

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
There's a door...use it.

I can't wait for the tone of the forum to go back to people who love/are enthusiastic about their cars...

Maybe if a bunch of people wanted somewhere to ***** and moan, they could make their own forum for that?

hondatech and mazdaforum come to mind?

Car that can't be replicated?? Well there probably won't be a fix for the cars and they will get grandfathered, or if there were it might cost 1-2 mpg, which still puts the cr tdi LIGHT YEARS ahead of anything that runs on gas, that can be beat on, and still achieve stellar fuel mileage!

Sheesh
X2
The resolution of the scandal will be the best thing for fredstdipage since it was started.

It was an enthusiasts site for people who love diesels and tdis in particular, with the knowledge and data to match. September of last year it became the equivilant of a youtube comment section on a cat video.

As soon as all these shrieking people get their money and dump the car, it will return to an enthusiasts resource.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
I have been here 5 years and got a lot form the forum but come on folks spare me the cult like hate if you say anything against VW, I bought my car brand new , took care of it, have every bill form Fuel, in 127,000 miles I have had a HPFP failure , which VW paid for, a AC that stopped working in year one, a bent Pano frame, and a cracked DPF, I have put over $3500 in repairs not maintenance at a guru who is great, but to me putting 5 grand into a car in 5 years ( if I fixed the DPF I would be at $5200 in under 5 year) that was bought new and maintained is not my idea of a great deal, you buy a new car so you make payments , but not repairs $$. Will I miss the room, the MPG and the drive, yes but I am sure I will find something that works for me. I was on the fence but the cracked DPF sent me to buyback land, I have no faith that if I replace it now, I would not be replacing it again in three years.

X2
The resolution of the scandal will be the best thing for fredstdipage since it was started.
It was an enthusiasts site for people who love diesels and tdis in particular, with the knowledge and data to match. September of last year it became the equivilant of a youtube comment section on a cat video.
As soon as all these shrieking people get their money and dump the car, it will return to an enthusiasts resource.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
hard to be welcoming to people who feel like the world owes them a tire fire.
Bingo

I have been here 5 years and got a lot form the forum but come on folks spare me the cult like hate if you say anything against VW, I bought my car brand new , took care of it, have every bill form Fuel, in 127,000 miles I have had a HPFP failure , which VW paid for, a AC that stopped working in year one, a bent Pano frame, and a cracked DPF, I have put over $3500 in repairs not maintenance at a guru who is great, but to me putting 5 grand into a car in 5 years ( if I fixed the DPF I would be at $5200 in under 5 year) that was bought new and maintained is not my idea of a great deal, you buy a new car so you make payments , but not repairs $$. Will I miss the room, the MPG and the drive, yes but I am sure I will find something that works for me. I was on the fence but the cracked DPF sent me to buyback land, I have no faith that if I replace it now, I would not be replacing it again in three years.
There is a difference between sharing an opinion and continuously complaining and wasting site's bandwidth. There has been a LOT of people who come here just to poo poo VW and claim they deserve more money meanwhile VW has already told them their car is being bought back at a very attractive price. This adds nothing to the site aside from wasted bandwidth which costs the site money. This is a non-profit site that is run on peanuts from donations and fundraisers.

Adding to the community and taking from the community are different things, unfortunately it seems that lately more people just do the latter.

IA DPE

TDI
2009 Jetta (sold back 08/18); 2014 Q5 (totaled 12/19😥); 2013 Dodge Cummins
as bad as VW is on reliability sometimes, I don't think they can make something as bad as a chevy equinox.
My wife has had two, both bought new, both over 100k miles with only one issue between them. As much as I've enjoyed my Jetta, it has had some issues, which VW corrected.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
You are misunderstanding my point. How many new members since sept 2015 have joined up with the only goal of ranting about the exact same thing as if tdiclub were owned by vw? I would not be surprised if the number is staggering.

In another thread mods were saying they were deleting or merging hundreds of threads a day in every forum. These ranters are appliance owners. They bought an appliance that now they dont like. When the appliance is made to go away, they will move on. That will make this site easier to manage and keep the content from getting buried endlessly.

Content that is helpful to you among others in dealing with the problems of your car.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
This is certainly one of the more heated threads on this board. However it is subordinate to the 'dieselgate' topic. I'm not into mindless venting, but what would a rational person expect to see on a thread dedicated to 'dieselgate'? There can only be two primary opposing views. One says there should be severe punishment for VW and its management. The other is the CARB, the EPA, etc are complete idiots. Most owners are somewhere in the middle, with the loudest at the extremes. 99% of TDI CLUB threads are aimed at improving the owner experience. If people are choosing to share their opinions about dieselgate no matter how absurd, so be it. But it shouldn't spill over into the other threads.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Come on folks they are all pedestrian cars made by a pedestrian company. The buyback is merely an unexpected business deal. Im supposed to turn down a purchase offer because why exactly? Anyone could buy my car for the money VW is offering. Thats all that matters.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
This is certainly one of the more heated threads on this board. However it is subordinate to the 'dieselgate' topic. I'm not into mindless venting, but what would a rational person expect to see on a thread dedicated to 'dieselgate'? There can only be two primary opposing views. One says there should be severe punishment for VW and its management. The other is the CARB, the EPA, etc are complete idiots. Most owners are somewhere in the middle, with the loudest at the extremes. 99% of TDI CLUB threads are aimed at improving the owner experience. If people are choosing to share their opinions about dieselgate no matter how absurd, so be it. But it shouldn't spill over into the other threads.
That was the primarly problem that prompted this forum from what i read. They had to centralize it all.

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
Anybody that thinks a gasser can come close to a diesel in fuel mileage terms...well again I have nothing positive to say haha.

If you can only get high 30's in a tdi, your driving style will totally prevent you from getting anywhere in the 30's in a gasser. Drive a diesel hard, end up in the 30's, drive a gasser hard, especially a mazda (the brand I keep hearing praise for) and you will be in the teens.
Well, we get mid 20s with the RAV4, but in town I'm lucky to get 34 with the Golf! And the Rav is an SUV with lots of space! And for these short trips, if I get over 30, I'm doing well. I'd bet a small gasser could do better than the RAV4. :-/

When I had a long commute with mixed road types, there really wasn't anything short of a hybrid that could do better. I was averaging 36 to 34, if I recall correctly. Highway, gassers seem to be getting close. Maybe they just need another innovation or two to push them over the edge, but the diesel fuel efficiency is being hampered by the pollution controls more so than gassers, wouldn't you think?

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
There's nothing like these cars. I sold my 2016 GTI because I love the MK6 TDI driving experience so much more. Long live Deisel's in the USA ��

Last edited:

jhawklver

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
That was the primarly problem that prompted this forum from what i read. They had to centralize it all.
It is pretty silly (being nice here) to think an unprecedented fraud and buyback situation wouldn't get a ton of action on one of the largest TDI forums out there. I'm "guilty" of not actually registering and posting until this scandal came to light, but I've read this forum since I bought my car in 2012.

This has never been the most welcoming community for those of us who don't bleed VW but own the cars. I get it, this started and is still an enthusiast site, but the fact there are threads and now an entire forum dedicated to this scandal is proof that many want to express their opinion and read other's opinions.

I find it highly ironic though that you are speaking up like this. There have been threads dedicated to those who want out or are displeased by VW's actions where you couldn't help but to argue with everyone. Complaining that opinions different than yours are popping up is hilariously hypocritical given your actions in those threads.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
It is pretty silly (being nice here) to think an unprecedented fraud and buyback situation wouldn't get a ton of action on one of the largest TDI forums out there. I'm "guilty" of not actually registering and posting until this scandal came to light, but I've read this forum since I bought my car in 2012.
This has never been the most welcoming community for those of us who don't bleed VW but own the cars. I get it, this started and is still an enthusiast site, but the fact there are threads and now an entire forum dedicated to this scandal is proof that many want to express their opinion and read other's opinions.
I find it highly ironic though that you are speaking up like this. There have been threads dedicated to those who want out or are displeased by VW's actions where you couldn't help but to argue with everyone. Complaining that opinions different than yours are popping up is hilariously hypocritical given your actions in those threads.
I stated, which is self evidently true, that regular forum content has been in danger of being buried by all the pissing and moaning on only one subject, prompting the creation of a dedicated sub forum.

I see nothing inconsistent with bickering with those who are pissing and moaning within that subforum dedicated to the scandal. This all goes back to you think a difference of opinion is being told how to feel doesnt it?

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
The purpose of this forum when it was created was to enlighten people who owned TDI's. It has turned into how do I fix or treat my ALH or PD . (which is the original intent) Now it is what am I gonna get and how Am I gonna go about gettin' it for my CR and buy a pick up truck BMW or what ever! Such BS in my mind. Why did you buy the TDI in the first place. Now it is what am I gonna get. I know I am repeating myself. My thoughts for me are.......how am I going to hang on to my car and make it last for at least 10 years. That is why i subscribed here back in 2009.
Totally agree