Would more incentives make you accept the "fix" instead of a buyout?

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Did the numbers for my '13 JSW, and I get around $6k if I accept the "fix" and keep the car and darn near what I paid for it if I go for the buyback. Those are some perverse incentives that pretty well twist my arm towards a buyback. I like the car and wish I could keep it, and VW is going to lose billions trying to sell a couple hundred thousand TDIs into a glutted market... Perhaps VW should offer better incentives to keep us in our TDIs instead of an expensive buyback? If VW gave me more $$$ or free lifetime maintenance and warranty, I'd probably keep it.

What would it take to get you to keep your TDI instead of taking a buyout?

str1ck

TDI
2015 Sportwagen Golf TDI
At this point, I don't think there is anything they could offer me to want to keep the car, especially with the buyback offer. There are just to many unknowns. Will the fix be effective?? What are the side effects on performance, reliability? What is the long term viability of VW?? What happens when VW decides they no longer want to support the diesels? Don't get me wrong. I love my 2015 Sportwagen but I am not willing to take a chance and keep gambling on it when there are so many options out there and I am being offered an "off ramp".

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
No.

Engineering outliers. No empirical data on reliability of 'fix'. "fix' outside of original design spec.

no guarantee on future returns of re-sale ability.

I like the car, but at this point I'll pass and see whats available, and what the fixes look like in 2 years.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
First off, there will not be any more incentives to keep the car, so that is a moot point.

I would be more inclined to keep the car if the fix is proven to not have any negative consequences.
If the additional warranty covers the complete exhaust emissions system for the 120,000 miles from the fix it would help. I don't want to have to worry about the DPF or the exhaust flap. Oh, and it should cover the pressure sensors for the DPF.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I'm probably keeping the car either way. Resale makes no difference to me - I keep cars 15+ years at a minimum anyway - I buy cars to run them into the ground. The money from the fix is sure tempting though. Buyback is not a consideration for me. It would have to be MUCH better than has been offered so far.

DanCsTDI

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
If I got the incentive and a bumper to bumper warranty for the entire time that I own the car regardless of time or miles, I would keep it. But since I will end up with a little more than I paid for it, I'll be handing it back to them.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
......this sailor - in good conscience - would have a tough time blowing off a buyback which provides essentially the same $$$ as the original new car cost...............

That being said - and this is often mentioned here in many ways - the torque, fuel numbers, space and for me the cheerful, durable Corn Silk Vtex interior - will be sorely missed.

Meanwhile, a 1.8 turbo/5M GSW - certainly less cheerful with a ClOTH somewhat beige interior - is on my short list. The 3/36,000 appeals big time also.
Perhaps in a few years, VW engineers - with management concurrence - may give us back our wonderful kerosene burning power plant (hopefully with a third pedal). I am well aware that 'people in Hell want ice water too'...........

ez

Last edited:

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
No - as I am using the buyback to finance my 2015 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid that I pick up tomorrow. Dipped into savings to borrow so I can quit driving the Passat. Buyback $ will go back into the savings account.

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI 6mt, sold back, replacement 2017 Golf GTI Autobahn
Just get the fix if your going to keep it, so you have your certificate. Then mod it back to something that will make it work. As long as you "got" the fix and the certificate, your golden with emissions testing. But doing nothing, in the long run will probably result in not being able to get the car registration renewed.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
If others choose to remove/disable emissions equipment, that's none of my business. Personally, I'd rather not. That's none of other people's business.

No fix for me. I would never buy a first-year model of new technology; I bought technology that had been in service for 4 or 5 years. (Yes, there were some problems with the CR technology, but almost all cars have their problems.) So I'm definitely not going to be a Beta tester for some VW engineer's science fair project.

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
Im not deciding anything until I see all the offers in writing. Then we run the numbers. Until then just idle speculation.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
Just get the fix if your going to keep it, so you have your certificate. Then mod it back to something that will make it work. As long as you "got" the fix and the certificate, your golden with emissions testing. But doing nothing, in the long run will probably result in not being able to get the car registration renewed.

There is nothing unethical about this idea at all is there? :rolleyes:

What is VW in trouble for again? Can we refresh on the definition of fraud?

If you get the fix get the fix, if you dont, dont. If you sell the car back, sell the car back. Dont do one thing, switch it back, and lie about it. You would think the same mentality that is getting VW fined billions wouldn't be so readily copied by its customers.

Im with above, waiting to see some data before deciding.

Last edited:

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
Put a 100K (from this point) bumper to bumper warranty on the table and we will talk.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Put a 100K (from this point) bumper to bumper warranty on the table and we will talk.
That's funny
VW just wants to put this to closure with as little economic hit as possible
They will never offer any extended warranty especially bumper to bumber

If I had a dieselgate TDI , I would opt for the buyback

Last edited:

gatz

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Golf TDI PD, 2006 MkV Golf GTI
There is nothing unethical about this idea at all is there? :rolleyes:
Ignoring the fix (or buyback) is simply not an option for people in many states. It may be unethical to delete emissions equipment, but no less so than before this whole debacle started. That is really a separate debate.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Im not deciding anything until I see all the offers in writing. Then we run the numbers. Until then just idle speculation.
Me too:confused:

But was tire kicking Saturday

One Internet Toyota manager offered $5,500 off of MRSP (plus $295 DOC fee) for any 2016 Camry in his (large) inventory

Not financially ready to commit -- yet.

Not too sure, but think I will do more or less better off with a 2017 Camry

That is IF I do not do the fix

Also will be waiting to see what VW is doing with intensives on 2017 gassers:rolleyes:

Hellish waiting two more days on the news

Last edited:

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
That's funny
VW just wants to put this to closure with as little economic hit as possible
They will never offer any extended warranty especially bumper to bumber

If I had a dieselgate TDI , I would opt for the buyback
LOL, yeah. :D

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
Ignoring the fix (or buyback) is simply not an option for people in many states. It may be unethical to delete emissions equipment, but no less so than before this whole debacle started. That is really a separate debate.
Explain how its simply not an option. What specific statement has your state made on this issue?

gatz

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Golf TDI PD, 2006 MkV Golf GTI
Explain how its simply not an option. What specific statement has your state made on this issue?
Nothing specific has been said lately that I am aware of, however California required 23O6 software be installed to renew the registration. CARB specifically said at the very beginning of the scandal that they may do another DMV tie-in for dieselgate, and frankly I would be amazed if they didnt. Other CARB states may follow suit. Sorry its nothing concrete, but seems likely to me.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
Nothing specific has been said lately that I am aware of, however California required 23O6 software be installed to renew the registration. CARB specifically said at the very beginning of the scandal that they may do another DMV tie-in for dieselgate, and frankly I would be amazed if they didnt. Other CARB states may follow suit. Sorry its nothing concrete, but seems likely to me.
That may have been before the prospect of lots of settlement money to each state and everyone getting a taste. We will have to see how it plays out before assuming any road blocks to continued registration will automatically be thrown up

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
I was just thinking about the agreement between the states and VW/DOJ/etc. I would guess that the agreement might say that the states must allow the fixed, but still "polluting" cars to stay on the road, and that unfixed cars would also stay on the road until the end of the buyback period.

On the other hand, I guess the agreement could say that as long as 85% of the affected cars are fixed or taken off the road then the restitution VW is paying to the states and federal government is sufficient compensation, and any remaining vehicles would be grandfathered in as legal.
Heck, the settlement says that VW just has to pay a fine for each percent of vehicles that are not fixed or taken off the road. That number works out to approximately $17,000 per vehicle. If a good portion of that money goes to the state where the vehicle is registered I'll bet the state will be perfectly happy to allow them to stay on the road.

Snufalufagus

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf TDI, 13 CC R-Line (wifey's)
The 100k warranty would really make me think about it. I was thinking I wanted a new GTI. While nice, after driving one at a dealer this weekend it wasn't as awesome as I thought it would be. My TDI being tuned and aftermarket suspension already isn't that far off from the GTI. I'm more confused than before.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
<snip>

What would it take to get you to keep your TDI instead of taking a buyout?

Money talks

Within reason time is on our side. We, (I) get the same "buy back" dollars 2 years from now.

The longer I wait the newer replacement car I will be able to purchase.

Looking-hoping to get 'bout $25,500 in the buy back. Enough to get a cheap Asian. BTW that is more than MSRP

As stated before, was tire kicking Saturday. One internet manager offered $5,500 off of MSRP on any 2016 Camry in his large inventory. (plus $250 DOC fee)

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
The 100k warranty would really make me think about it. I was thinking I wanted a new GTI. While nice, after driving one at a dealer this weekend it wasn't as awesome as I thought it would be. My TDI being tuned and aftermarket suspension already isn't that far off from the GTI. I'm more confused than before.
I said it kinda as a joke knowing that it would never happen but in the long run it would be better for VW, dealer, consumer and for the environment. Better for VW inthat they would be just giving the $5-10K to the comsumer and not buying the whole car back plus it would insure their dealers would have service business over the next decade plus it would keep a good percentage of these cars out of the crushers and that also would be better for the environment. Also allow the warranty to be transferable so that would keep up resale value, another reason we bought these cars. It really is a win/win/win option.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
....there seems to be a surfeit of humor extant here (but no one is quitting their day job).

.....the buyback appeals for the simple - at least to this sailor - reason of being damn near equal to my original 04/2013 new vehicle price...........................

Granted, the 1.8 TSI 5M ain't going to satisfy like the wagon currently in math garage.........

But - as I gear up for a 10 MPG hit in fuel numbers - the broad picture looks positive.

Seriously, as anyone else noted what passes for humor here?

ez (no real complaints - the exception being the humor offered here from time to time)

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Warranty.

The agreement got the gist of it right - the whole emission system is covered, the HPFP is covered, the DPF is covered unless VW can demonstrate that their dealers are capable of discerning whether a failed DPF is due to ash (considered normal wear) or soot / regeneration failure (which could be a consequence of the "fix"). But 48,000 mi is not enough to interest us.

You give us a car with a "check engine lamp" on ... we give you back a car that doesn't have the "check engine lamp" on. Free loaner car if it's going to take more than an hour or two. END.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
A 120,000 mile warranty would be awesome. 48,000 just won't cut it. Whatever the stock (Federally mandated) emissions warranty is (80,000 miles, right?) as of the "fix" date would be reasonable and acceptable.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
The proposed monetary offer seems decent. An extended warranty would keep me in the car. Lifetime warranty would be amazing. Doubt it would happen tho.

A lifetime warranty covering the entire emissions and fuel system, including the HPFP, would sure make me feel comfortable owning the car for 25 years.

Last edited: