Anyone thinking going EV?

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
You sound like a great candidate for a Volt.
50+ miles of pure electric...then 40+ mpg on the gasoline generator for as long as you need to go.
If I can do this with a Gen I, the II should be way better.

Dave A

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6MT
I'm a little surprised that anyone hasn't mentioned the biggest environmental disadvantage of an EV or hybrid, the 600 to 1000 extra pounds found in each and every one of them as compared to a traditional vehicle.
The lead acid batteries found in most vehicles, including hybrids, are recyclable with very little expended energy. In fact, there are no lead smelters in the US anymore, there is enough recycled lead to meet current demand. Nickel and lithium batteries are another story, most will end up is hazardous waste incinerators and the resulting ash will be buried in a specialized landfill to contain the remaining toxic heavy metals. That:s a lot of hazardous waste per vehicle.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I'm a little surprised that anyone hasn't mentioned the biggest environmental disadvantage of an EV or hybrid, the 600 to 1000 extra pounds found in each and every one of them as compared to a traditional vehicle.
The lead acid batteries found in most vehicles, including hybrids, are recyclable with very little expended energy. In fact, there are no lead smelters in the US anymore, there is enough recycled lead to meet current demand. Nickel and lithium batteries are another story, most will end up is hazardous waste incinerators and the resulting ash will be buried in a specialized landfill to contain the remaining toxic heavy metals. That:s a lot of hazardous waste per vehicle.
The Lithium batteries are taken back by the dealers for recycling, rebuilding or for use in UPSs.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Same batteries as in every cell phone, tablet, laptop and recent rechargeable
power tool made. It will be years before automotive use catches up.
Nobody squawks about how we deal with the lithium batteries we currently use...

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
Maybe you're surprised because the Volt weighs 3,543lbs, and the i3, for instance, weighs about 2,800. What are you comparing to? I don't think of the weight aspect so much in terms of environment, but I do like having having it between the axles, and down low.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
You sound like a great candidate for a Volt.

50+ miles of pure electric...then 40+ mpg on the gasoline generator for as long as you need to go.
Had I not already been in a co-workers, I might look at one. It felt like a $15k car, that I could live with for running around town, forget long distance travel in it. A cruze is about the same build wise, but it is actually at the $15k point it feels like. The volt is 2x the price, for no real benefit economy wise, so why bother?

To be clear, I've been in several generations of Prius, a Leaf, and a Honda something civic? that shut the motor off at stops. Each of them felt like a kitchen appliance. Which is completely acceptable as transport in town, that I can live with for 20-30 minutes to get A to B. It's the time after 30 minutes that I just want out of that appliance. But at 30k+, I can't justify them, they are a niche car to move A to B for short hauls. No way would I consider any distance travel in one (even the ones that can).

Last edited:

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
I'm not sure about it feeling like a $15k car -- I wouldn't mind checking one out -- but it does seem like you pay a premium for electric or hybrid, and it's hard to make that up. The dealer convinced someone I know that the Leaf would effectively be free, when you figured you didn't have to pay for gas and wear-and-tear on the big SUV or something. But, yeah, you're paying a premium for a car that feels cheaper and not sporty, fun.... or you can pay the same amount and get something sporty and fun. Anyone check out the new Camaro? Now available with a Turbo 4.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I don't know about the old Volt, but the new Volt felt pretty nice to me. The interior materials were good, the infotainment seems high quality, and the overall feel was nice. Unfortunately, it's pretty tight inside, so I would say it's limited to two adults and a child or two, depending on the size of your people. I certainly wouldn't classify it as feeling like a $15K car - I felt it's on par with a Jetta SEL for build quality and design.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
I don't know about the old Volt, but the new Volt felt pretty nice to me. The interior materials were good, the infotainment seems high quality, and the overall feel was nice. Unfortunately, it's pretty tight inside, so I would say it's limited to two adults and a child or two, depending on the size of your people. I certainly wouldn't classify it as feeling like a $15K car - I felt it's on par with a Jetta SEL for build quality and design.

That was my impression of the Gen II Volt Premiere as well.

A fair bit nicer than the Gen I, and on a par with my '13 Wagon.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
It is on par with a Jetta SEL, but that's not saying much since the Jetta SEL is $15K less than a new gen Volt.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It is on par with a Jetta SEL, but that's not saying much since the Jetta SEL is $15K less than a new gen Volt.
Sure, but you can't really compare a base engine Jetta to a Volt, since the Volt's powertrain is significantly more complex - more in line with Jetta TDI pricing.

jjk58

TDI
2009JettaSedanDSG/2014JSWDSG
In general, similar feelings. The volt gen2 drove nice. The volt's backseat is close to unuseable and it's still two people not three. The cargo area is also downsized and can't compare to my JSW. The volt is missing: power seats, spare tire

This is why I'm still considering a JettaHybrid. It has better options than the straight T versions. While the 16 doesn't have the spare, it has room for one. I just haven't decided if it's worth extra for the batteries/tech

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
In general, similar feelings. The volt gen2 drove nice. The volt's backseat is close to unuseable and it's still two people not three. The cargo area is also downsized and can't compare to my JSW. The volt is missing: power seats, spare tire
This is why I'm still considering a JettaHybrid. It has better options than the straight T versions. While the 16 doesn't have the spare, it has room for one. I just haven't decided if it's worth extra for the batteries/tech
If you want a Jetta Hybrid, it would be good to act fast. Word on the street is that it wil be discontinued for 2017.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Parts sourcing and maintenance on a Jetta Hybrid is going to be slim picking and expensive. They didn't sell very many of them in the handful of years that they were available. I think VW and Audi are going the e-Tron route rather than the hybrid route, which is a good choice, IMO.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Mind you, I'm not convinced that the two routes are mutually exclusive, especially given the amount of shared hardware.

But, considering that for the past year, Volkswagen's only managed to sell, what, 50 Jetta Hybrids a month...

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Yeah, this is the last year they're offering them and everything I've read says people can't get the rated mileage so I crossed that hybrid off the list unless they basically give me one when I trade my car in.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
There's always the Audi A3 Sportback e-tron, if you want VAG-tier interiors.
For some reason, VAG gets you from plastic to meh-supported coarse leather, at near the 50k e-tron price point. I think they used to do better and now leave nice interiors for the cars approaching 100k.

Had I not already been in a co-workers, I might look at one. It felt like a $15k car, that I could live with for running around town, forget long distance travel in it.
The leather in a basic Volt Premium loses nothing to the leather of an e-Tron. This is more a competitor for the Volt, than is the base Jetta or Cruze. The controls, while a lot more functional in Volt 2, than 1, are not Audi. I get that.

.. felt like a kitchen appliance. … No way would I consider any distance travel in one (even the ones that can).
IMO, only VWG cars will have the steering feel, if that’s what you’re referring to. GM’s is less direct, but you can try throwing a Volt around and find its ho-hum, solid. No understeer. Worse feel, but less dive and plow, too.

Parts sourcing and maintenance on a Jetta Hybrid is going to be slim picking and expensive. They didn't sell very many of them in the handful of years that they were available. I think VW and Audi are going the e-Tron route rather than the hybrid route, which is a good choice, IMO.
I wonder how much different an e-Tron is, though? They still need about as much engine, and a multi-geared transmission. The first steps away from the ~1kwh hybrid launch pad is to put 4kwh (Prius Plug-in), then maybe 8 (VW) and then things start changing with Volt and i3, @18 and 22kwh. You might find the ICE parts of a Jetta hybrid are little different from those of the e-tron. The electric parts don’t fail, like the laundry list of parts that put most of us here.

Last edited: