I decided to take a look...

homac

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon TDI
Being a new car I decided to remove the plastic engine cover...

This part looks OK :D

Then I remove the cover ! Oh my @#$%, with all those tubes I think I need a plumber. :eek:

On a serious note, just a bit shocked after having driven gassers all my life.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
did the same thing with mine in the first days, that cover really cleans up the looks . It reminded me of the late 70's in my dads shop and seeing the engines with all the new emissions equip when they first came out. The difference between sitting in the engine compt working on it to not being able to see the engine for all the hoses. I miss those days when I troubleshot car problems instead of now I do mostly electronic problems.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
the upside to diagnosing electronic problems is that you can hook up a scanner and it'll tell you whats wrong

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
no... the computer tells you what it sees not right, is it the component, the wiring, another item not monitered by computer telling that component wrong info, or the computer, or the scanner with the wrong software to read correctly. Thats if the problem is seen as a problem by the computer. If it was as simple as the computer telling you what to change I'd be out of a job. when it gets to me usually the part has already been changed multiple times.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
jetlagmech said:
no... the computer tells you what it sees not right, is it the component, the wiring, another item not monitered by computer telling that component wrong info, or the computer, or the scanner with the wrong software to read correctly. Thats if the problem is seen as a problem by the computer. If it was as simple as the computer telling you what to change I'd be out of a job. when it gets to me usually the part has already been changed multiple times.

oh yea, i hear ya on that. but luckily your the guy with the know how and you know what diagnostic software to use on what.

ddschwaner

TDI
2010 Golf TDI loaded 6spd on order ; 2002 Jetta GLS loaded 5spd
doesnt look too bad.. go look at the Q7 tdi its a rats nest under the cover lol

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
jetlagmech said:
Very well put.:cool: Even back in the days of points and carburetors, the very best tool for troubleshooting is a good working knowledge of the system you are trying to diagnose.

If a mechanic tells you your car doesn't have a problem because it didn't set DTC, you need to find a different mechanic......................Problems such as a clogged fuel or drivetrain vibrations won't even set a DTC.

Last edited:

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
Ol'Rattler said:
Very well put.:cool: Even back in the days of points and carburetors, the very best tool for troubleshooting is a good working knowledge of the system you are trying to diagnose.
If a mechanic tells you your car doesn't have a problem because it didn't set DTC, you need to find a different mechanic......................

^^i agree and well put^^^

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
does that long piece of black styrofoam need to be there by the injectors? is that used for sound dampening? structur for the cover? When I cracked mine, i noticed it was just sitting there. I wonder how it'll last.

yukyuk71

TDI
2010 Golf
I tried to do the same thing today but i couldn't figure out how to remove the cover. no obvious fasteners or anything! help anyone?