Annapolis-Baltimore- Suburban Washington Diesel Price

4XTaco

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Touareg
Wow that is cheaper than up the road in York, PA... looking at $2.75 to $2.85 still.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Lowest Price @ $2.27 is the lowest I have seen in a few years and is the lowest I know of in this area.

bulabula

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta; A4 Golf 2-door; Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel
Yeah, if it wasn't so darn cold, I would hop in the car right now and fill up there tonight. Looking back at my records, the last time I paid $2.28/gal for #2 diesel fuel was in May 2005.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
bulabula said:
Yeah, if it wasn't so darn cold, I would hop in the car right now and fill up there tonight. Looking back at my records, the last time I paid $2.28/gal for #2 diesel fuel was in May 2005.
I am sure it will stil drop some more so you arn't mising anything if you don't get it tonight

bulabula

Veteran Member
TDI
Filled up tonight at "Lowest Price" - its LSD, so youse' guys with the new cars and trucks arent sposed to fill up with it.

PnutButrJelytime

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
the lowest I have seen is $2.49 in Edgewater. the oceanic is usually the lowest but there always seems to be a competition between the oceanic, shell and xtra fuels. that’s probably because you could literally throw a stone at each one.

samspock

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005, Shadow Blue
bulabula said:
Filled up tonight at "Lowest Price" - its LSD, so youse' guys with the new cars and trucks arent sposed to fill up with it.
Odd how they covered over the sticker with tape. Got some anyway.

PnutButrJelytime

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
that is nice. i have used sites like that before but i always thought they were for gas and not diesel. after putting in my zip code i noticed diesel had dropped 10 cents. Edgewater xtra mart is $2.39 and better yet if you pay cash they take off 4 cents per gallon. so $2.35 in Edgewater. gotta love a recession.

newbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
mydeathbynapalm said:
Just go here for your daily check...map a particular station and then move it around...the web pages/maps are all on the same server (so works for DC/MD and beyond. http://www.virginiagasprices.com

44 cetane in Tyson's Corner Luk Oil - $2.799 Always been a good spot for HQ fuel.
Any one else in NoVa reporting cetane?
With Diesel Kleen going for about $0.07 to treat 1 gal at regular rates I'm looking at the tradeoffs for using "local" (to Kingstowne) stations.

The Sunoco station at 5520 Franconia Rd is charging $2.39 fur ULSD, $1.61 for RUG.

The Hess at 5710 Telegragh Rd (about a mile away) is charging $2.85 for ULSD, $1.61 for RUG.

Thus, almost half a buck difference for ULSD verus diddly-squat to na-na for RUG.

/edit - as an asside comment I just checked prices down near Norfolk where hopefully I'll be going this weekend with a new '09 JSW. Apparently there's a price war because two stations are being reported as selling for $2.09 and $2.06 !!

Last edited:

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Reflex Silver
Just check out the stations themselves...VA state law stipulates that the posted(it's the law for a station to post) cetane has to be within 1+/- (I believe) or the pump will be shut down/tank pumped(?). Much of the time I see Hess stations with 42 or 45. BP stations 42 or 46 sometimes. The Lukoil in Tyson's Corner listed at 44. I don't really go out of my way to fill up in the area...if I see less expensive diesel for sale, I'll top off...

The guy I talked to years back that pulled fuel for testing said that the higher cetane diesels will foam less than low cetane fuels. No confirmation behind this anecdote... The Citgo station I put $10 worth of fuel in yesterday listed at 40...hardly foamed. The Shell I topped off at a while later (no cetane posted...woops) foamed like mad. Turnover at both is pretty good...

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Wow that is cheaper than up the road in York, PA... looking at $2.75 to $2.85 still.
My fiancee has a house up in York (Roosevelt Ave), and both gas and diesel have been more expensive up there since we've been together.

mydeath... nice ferret! I have owned about 10 ferrets. Well, that was back when I was growing up, so I guess my parents really owned them.

newbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
mydeathbynapalm said:
Just check out the stations themselves...VA state law stipulates that the posted(it's the law for a station to post) cetane has to be within 1+/- (I believe) or the pump will be shut down/tank pumped(?). Much of the time I see Hess stations with 42 or 45. BP stations 42 or 46 sometimes. The Lukoil in Tyson's Corner listed at 44. I don't really go out of my way to fill up in the area...if I see less expensive diesel for sale, I'll top off...

The guy I talked to years back that pulled fuel for testing said that the higher cetane diesels will foam less than low cetane fuels. No confirmation behind this anecdote... The Citgo station I put $10 worth of fuel in yesterday listed at 40...hardly foamed. The Shell I topped off at a while later (no cetane posted...woops) foamed like mad. Turnover at both is pretty good...
mydeathbynapalm - I was asking if anyone ELSE reported cetane values. I realize if I drive up to a station and look at the pump I should be able to tell, but although I occasionally go by Tyson's Corner I probably would not have looked for Lukoil.

In a driveabout today I found:
Shell - 6620 BACKLICK RD
SPRINGFIELD, VA 22150
cetane 45, price $2.70/gal

and
/edit
Sunoco Retail Location
5800 KINGSTOWNE CENTER
ALEXANDRIA, VA 22315
40 cetane $2.29/gal 1700 19 Dec 2008

Sunoco Ultra Service CenterSM
5520 FRANCONIA ROAD
cetane 40, price $2.40/gal

I hit 4 other stations in the area and their prices ranged from $2.70 to $2.98/gal all cetane rated 40, at least two of them labeled "Premium Diesel", and one of those a BP station (40 cetane premium, I'd hate to see their regular) .

So my tradeoff is Sunoco at $2.30/gal with $0.07 per gallon worth of Diesel Kleen.

This should result in the best mp$.

As with many other Americans it's not how far I can go per gallon, it's "How far can I haul what I need to haul when I need to haul it for this much money?".

I'm sure my TDI JSW is going to be nice, but when I have to haul a 20 foot trailer and the entire family I'll probably revert to my 16Mpg Ford MaxiVan 7.3L Diesel. Sometimes Mass moved over distance per Dollar is more important than Miles per Gallon.
ALEXANDRIA,VA 22310

Last edited:

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
beat me to it

Bob S. said:
$2.22 @ Lowest Price 12/20/08 1700 hrs.
I was going to post that little while ago and forgot. Then I logged on to do it and the TaxOnGas (a decesed senator, RIP)thread had some BS i had to respond to.

bulabula

Veteran Member
TDI
donDavide said:
I was going to post that little while ago and forgot. Then I logged on to do it and the TaxOnGas (a decesed senator, RIP)thread had some BS i had to respond to.
It all about priorities...

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
AM i being silly? I use power service with every fillup. I have been using Shell in Edgewater for most every fillup it has been 229 for a few weeks. Last fillup I used the Oceanic to save a penny and got crappy mpg's. The powerservice small bottel gets me 5 filups or so and the big one 10 or so. I average 41-42 mpg winter spring summer and fall mostly half city half hwy 80 miles or so a day even straight hwy trips i see the same mileage. i do have a heavy foot and make the most out of my radar detector. BTW i NEVER see a cetane ragting posted at any pump. Has anyone looked at the price at the NAVY PX recently?

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
LiLredTDI said:
AM i being silly? I use power service with every fillup. I have been using Shell in Edgewater for most every fillup it has been 229 for a few weeks. Last fillup I used the Oceanic to save a penny and got crappy mpg's. The powerservice small bottel gets me 5 filups or so and the big one 10 or so. I average 41-42 mpg winter spring summer and fall mostly half city half hwy 80 miles or so a day even straight hwy trips i see the same mileage. i do have a heavy foot and make the most out of my radar detector. BTW i NEVER see a cetane ragting posted at any pump. Has anyone looked at the price at the NAVY PX recently?
I thought I saw 40 but take my word for it. I will check next time.