what to do after neutered/ruined

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
I have read all your posts in this thread, and I think you are a candidate for the buyback, not the fix. Whatever losses are involved with the car, sounds like they're going to stick in your craw as long as you drive it. If not the buyback, then maybe you're one of that group (I suspect a rather small one) that should just do nothing, and drive on.
Well..I love my car.. but now thru some research I am seriously thinking of selling it back and getting a 2015 Passat 6mt.. almost an even swap..From what I see. I just co-signed a "new" 2015 passat sel for my daughter at 0% and a great discount she's very happy...last one at the dealer though.. Now I may be getting excited!.Now I just have to find one somewhat near me..oh well.. moving forward.. thanx all!

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
So first everyone is angry that VW "cheated", and now that VW fixed it, they are angry that they themselves can't cheat? Got it.
I am mostly mad that they got caught, or possibly that they prioritized performance rather than FE while engineering the cheat. You can always get a tune if your priority is power and higher performance. I want torque for holding speed on hills, and exceptional FE. Now I get NEITHER. Oh I can hold speed on hills, but FE plummets. Never did on my 2014 JSW. THAT, I miss.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
I'm just hanging out waiting for more feedback from people after their fix...still can't make up my mind on fix or buyback..at least we have plenty of time to wait! Hoping to hear from someone that gets a mild tune after the fix and how much it improved the mpg's and power...

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Good call! I don't think that there is enough data to draw a meaningful conclusion yet, and many are likely still in the process of re-adaptation post-fix, and not stable yet.

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I'm just hanging out waiting for more feedback from people after their fix...still can't make up my mind on fix or buyback..at least we have plenty of time to wait! Hoping to hear from someone that gets a mild tune after the fix and how much it improved the mpg's and power...
If you are considering it for the 2015 Passat, I would definitely hold off. What kind of FE are you getting? My 2013 6MT Passat got phenomenal FE and had excellent torque. I only traded it because I wanted the wagon, which did pretty good (FE) but not as good as the Passat. But you have a different engine (last version). I am curious how it does. Mine had urea system, but sipped it (over 10k to refill).

If I still had my 2014 JSW, I would walk away with NO restitution, NO buyback. It was an awesome car. Stupid reckless MB E350 driver took it away.

Galo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta 6mt, Malone Stage I, Goals
Owain and I have exchanged a few emails over the last few days and....I am now very satisfied I made the decision to 'keep and fix', because the $5.1k will go a long ways towards:
- Owain's Stage 1.....that's all I need/want
- suspension refit, including some nice Konis, an improved rear sway bar, replacing all even slightly worn bushings, tie rod ends, etc
- timing belt change
- fixing my stupid, two year dead radio
- have some money left over for a good celebration

Bottom line: if you can't live with the reduced performance, u can fix that too for about 10% of what VW will be giving you -and have a helluva nice warranty to boot.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
Owain and I have exchanged a few emails over the last few days and....I am now very satisfied I made the decision to 'keep and fix', because the $5.1k will go a long ways towards:
- suspension refit, including some nice Konis, an improved rear sway bar, replacing all even slightly worn bushings, tie rod ends, etc
- timing belt change

Bottom line: if you can't live with the reduced performance, u can fix that too for about 10% of what VW will be giving you -and have a helluva nice warranty to boot.
careful what you say about "taking care" of what vw did to our cars.. (tuning) and keeping the warranty.. alot of people on here don't like that...Personally I would love to "fix" the fix or at least improve the fix,,,and if I can keep the warranty also that would be awesome:D! but I have been called "low class"for even thinking that:eek:

Last edited:

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
If you are considering it for the 2015 Passat, I would definitely hold off. What kind of FE are you getting? My 2013 6MT Passat got phenomenal FE and had excellent torque. I only traded it because I wanted the wagon, which did pretty good (FE) but not as good as the Passat. But you have a different engine (last version). I am curious how it does. Mine had urea system, but sipped it (over 10k to refill).

If I still had my 2014 JSW, I would walk away with NO restitution, NO buyback. It was an awesome car. Stupid reckless MB E350 driver took it away.
Not sure if I understand .. the car I am considering buyback is my 2011 jetta.. I love the car...best mpg's is 47 on a long trip..would be better with a tune.. just breaking it in at 50,000 miles:cool:..it would be nice to have a "newer" jetta or passat but they don't make a passat 6mt with sunroof from what I have been told though:(..we'll see;).. Thanx!

Last edited:

Galo

Veteran Member
TDI
careful what you say about "taking care" of what vw did to our cars.. (tuning) and keeping the warranty.. alot of people on here don't like that...Personally I would love to "fix" the fix or at least improve the fix,,,and if I can keep the warranty also that would be awesome:D! but I have been called "low class"for even thinking that:eek:
In that case, I am definitely a no-class guy....:p;)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You were described as low class for saying you would lie about your tune to the dealer to cheat and maintain your warranty. That is low class, no way around it. Get the tune and don't lie about it, then you are a stand up guy. Liars are never well thought of by anyone, except Galo I guess. Maybe you can start your own "low class liars club".

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
You were described as low class for saying you would lie about your tune to the dealer to cheat and maintain your warranty. That is low class, no way around it. Get the tune and don't lie about it, then you are a stand up guy. Liars are never well thought of by anyone, except Galo I guess. Maybe you can start your own "low class liars club".
.. where does it say I would lie.where did I say i would "lie"..you presumed that.. and I am offended by your accusations...totally unnecessary and presumptuous on your part.. unbelievable.. I am naive about tunes and just was inquiring about them.. I don't know about the legalities of a tune for your information...

Last edited:

mdl3r1

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Owain and I have exchanged a few emails over the last few days and....I am now very satisfied I made the decision to 'keep and fix', because
Hey Galo,
So, since you say warranty at the end here, does the one single Stage 1 tune simply improve things a bit, without messing with any of the VW Modifications, thus the warranty is intact, legally and logically as well?
Just wanna understand , and do the right thing...and if an "optimization" optimizes, and does not touch the VW mods, it should be all kosher all around, no?
Thanks for clarifying.....I have my modification pending but was days away....:eek:

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I got the fix, but have very few miles on the car (2011) yet. Initial impressions on performance is...no change. MPG I will have to wait and see, but even a little loss still puts it in the exceptional fuel economy range. I am glad I did the fix, I have taken great care of the car, and it suits my needs perfectly. Also used some of the $5700 to fix my crapped-out AC compressor and repair my leaking DSG mechatronics gasket, both things I would have had to go out-of-pocket for otherwise. The extended warranty is also a plus as I always planned on keeping the car until the wheels fell off.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
- timing belt change

I am of the understanding that a fix warranty extension is voided if there is a ECU tune of any type done. I don't know if VW came out directly and stated that in print. Pretty sure that is the case. If one can switch between fix tune and aftermarket tune, if that isn't detectable by VW service, then I suppose it's possible. I'm not aware if Malone tunes can be switched back to factory post-fix tunes - if they can (and if so, how?), I would be interested in a post-fix tune, if a post-fix Malone tune isn't also a neutered tune and can't get back the normal performance these tunes used to do before the emissions fix.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
You can also record some engine data, too, for before and after results. However it is important to remember that DPF regen cycles could skew the results if data is obtained in short concentrated events. Long(er) term data gathering is better.
I was/am planning on checking the effects of the fix over 1000 up to 5000 miles, before and after. The before numbers will be a little off due to summer and my wife not driving to school every day. That will also include our summer vacation of about 3000 miles with the bikes on the back.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think most tuners would agree that if you tune the car you risk detection by VW and voiding the warranty. Even if you flash the ECU back to fixed stock prior to visiting the dealer, they can detect the number of times the ECU has been flashed and may use that as a reason to deny warranty coverage. However, I (and tuners I've talked to) think this is unlikely.

The warranty post-dieselgate applies to cars that are fixed. If you tune the car you should not be eligible for warranty repairs on the emissions system. If you re-flash to stock prior to a warranty visit you are deceiving VW. This may or may not bother some, but it is what it is.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
Originally Posted by Kevinski4
"So first everyone is angry that VW "cheated", and now that VW fixed it, they are angry that they themselves can't cheat? Got it".
.....no not everybody was angry.I being one that was not angry at all.personally i did not give a hoot.( my opinion only: epa and carb. have gone way overboard on their powers/requirements) my only beef is that the fix..may defeat some of the reasons I bought the car..although me personally am still debating the fix..and also look forward cautiously to vw honoring the ext. warranty to the tee....time will tell!

Galo

Veteran Member
TDI
The warranty post-dieselgate applies to cars that are fixed. If you tune the car you should not be eligible for warranty repairs on the emissions system. If you re-flash to stock prior to a warranty visit you are deceiving VW. This may or may not bother some, but it is what it is.
And here's where my conscience will be fine: VW cheated all of us for a looooooong time, and payback (if needed) will be very sweet.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I'll take a dime . . . If I have been damaged, I've yet to find out how or where . . .

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Originally Posted by Kevinski4
"So first everyone is angry that VW "cheated", and now that VW fixed it, they are angry that they themselves can't cheat? Got it".
.....no not everybody was angry.I being one that was not angry at all.personally i did not give a hoot.( my opinion only: epa and carb. have gone way overboard on their powers/requirements) my only beef is that the fix..may defeat some of the reasons I bought the car..although me personally am still debating the fix..and also look forward cautiously to vw honoring the ext. warranty to the tee....time will tell!

EPA has a very important goal. I know NOx is not good for our new asthmatic cohort.

But don't forget, the emissions are based on parts per million. If you use LESS fuel, you emit less NOx per mile. And if your miles are on the road, you don't contribute to city NOx.

And personally, I want to use less fuel, so I generate less carbon dioxide. Deniers are dinosaurs.

And by the way...I will "cheat" and lie like I stole it. Use less, get farther. To me, it is NOT about the money.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
But don't forget, the emissions are based on parts per million. If you use LESS fuel, you emit less NOx per mile. And if your miles are on the road, you don't contribute to city NOx.
Regardless of fuel consumed, VW was way above grams of NOx/mile threashold set by epa/carb under certain circumstances. Only thing we can really argue is the threshold for a small commuter car vs 3/4 ton or heavy duty diesels is where the EPA went wrong.

Or we can complain about the EPA/CARB turning a blind eye to fine particulate matter form the millions of DI gas engines in real wold driving. With 7K miles on the CARB complaint Alltrack, the tail pipes are quite black.

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Regardless of fuel consumed, VW was way above grams of NOx/mile threashold set by epa/carb under certain circumstances. Only thing we can really argue is the threshold for a small commuter car vs 3/4 ton or heavy duty diesels is where the EPA went wrong.

Or we can complain about the EPA/CARB turning a blind eye to fine particulate matter form the millions of DI gas engines in real world driving. With 7K miles on the CARB complaint Alltrack, the tail pipes are quite black.
Oh, yes. CAFE standards are unpopular, but more pertinent to really reducing overall emissions than the NOx standard for passenger cars. And yes, compliant V8s and V6s are a big part of the fleet on US roads. I would include SUVs in that category.

Last edited:

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
what to do after neutered..been reading that some cars are really ruined after mod.. what are our options to fix this?.. according to the description from VW this should not be this bad...loss of power and really dropped mpg's...I have an appointment for my 2011 6mt next week and am seriously concerned that my car will be ruined...:mad:..where do we draw the line where the fix does more negative results than VW says it will do..e.g. 4-6 loss of mpg...10-25% loss of power? what will be enough loss that it is unacceptable?? Where/when will we say, or draw a line and say "this is not what is supposed to happen//you have ruined my car..this IS unacceptable"
The option that I am taking at this point is to leave my TDI stock. I don't get the impetus to take the "fix" after practically no development and testing period on the TDIs concerned. A lot of people apparently have a real need for the money offered...I value the car more than the hassle pay for the "fix".

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Some want the fix for the extra warranty that comes with it. The cash doesn't hurt either. Some will take the cash and just tune it as well.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Some want the fix for the extra warranty that comes with it. The cash doesn't hurt either. Some will take the cash and just tune it as well.
This. A tune improves on the original 2015 setup. Once you've driven one of these engines with a good tune it's hard to go back.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
This. A tune improves on the original 2015 setup. Once you've driven one of these engines with a good tune it's hard to go back.
Just remember, the tune will void your extended warranty you had coming out of the fix. That also has to be a consideration in your cost of the tune.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Just remember, the tune will void your extended warranty you had coming out of the fix. That also has to be a consideration in your cost of the tune.
Perhaps. But I don't feel this is a big a deal as others do. If I want to take it to the dealer I can have it re-flashed to stock before taking it in. But without the fix, most think component life will be longer than with the fix. So, not much of a gamble.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Perhaps. But I don't feel this is a big a deal as others do. If I want to take it to the dealer I can have it re-flashed to stock before taking it in. But without the fix, most think component life will be longer than with the fix. So, not much of a gamble.
As I understand it, the coding version changes (or rather indexes) with each flash. So if your car left with an emissions flash and came back with the same emissions flash it had when the emissions fix was done, but the coding version was different, VW would reject your warranty (unless VW reflashed and documented the change). You can check with Ross-Tech if you like.