Question on heated mirrors and Rain-X

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
I did a search and came up with nothing relevant with regards to using Rain-X and side view mirrors.

Here in Canuckistan we have pretty harsh winters and driving rains that make it hard to see at times when using the mirrors to back up. Anything to ensure the water sheds quickly or ensure ice/ snow not build up is always an added bonus.

I swore I read that there was a film on the side mirrors and if Rain-X were to be used, it may cause some issues. It wasn't on my last 2 cars, but then again, new make...new things.

I've looked carefully at the mirrors and they appear to be standard glass with a heating element in behind, but I'm new to VW and the last thing I want to do is screw them up.

Thoughts?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I think rain-x makes mirrors worse due to very little air velocity across the mirror glass. The beauty of rain-x is the water rolling off in the wind.

I've found the mirror heat to be more than adequate at keeping snow and rain from forming on the mirrors of several vehicles. The Passat hasn't experienced many storms yet, so no comment on it specifically.

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
I have a similar product on all my vehicles/equipment no issues at all. My BMW has blue tinted.. heated mirrors..no problems at all with treating them it also makes them easier to keep clean