Installing a new Steering wheel w/paddle shifter in a TDI SEL Premium (US MODEL)

Kchorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Finally I got the new wheel today.. I got a good deal on it.. That way I decided to do this.. Maybe I'm glambling but I HOPE it will work flawless.
I'm really hoping this will be a plug & play project.
Since the V6 SEL Premium here is the US come with the paddle and in Canada the TDI and the V6 come with it too and in Jetta is plug & Play..
I think it will be just plug and play but maybe I will need to enable "Paddle shifter" in the module too of the Vag-com..
I don't have vag-com..
Can somebody help me to check with their cars and vag-com module if there is a box to click or somehtin in the module..
All your help is reality appreciate it.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Very cool! I hope it's plug-and-play for you.

I really want a Passat.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I think it will be just plug and play but maybe I will need to enable "Paddle shifter" in the module too of the Vag-com..
I don't have vag-com..
Can somebody help me to check with their cars and vag-com module if there is a box to click or somehtin in the module..
All your help is reality appreciate it.
I know people who have done this with a Mk5. I'm pretty sure that you will need to find someone with VCDS (Vag-Com) and change the coding in the steering wheel controller. I do not have a Passat to check the coding for you, but with any luck someone can do it.

Have Fun!

Don

Kchorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
A fellow Passat TDI SEL Premium owner checked today and he found no module or anything to change coding in the steering wheel controller...
Just in case somebody else can check again to make sure...two source is better than one..
I really appreciate your help.

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
Just in case some cars are pre-wired (or -programmed) for this while others are not, it would be interesting to know what pins on which connectors on the new wheel the paddles are connected. You could measure this before attempting to install the wheel. To check another car prior to buying a wheel, other people could then dig into the wiring and see if simulating the paddle contact makes the car shift.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
Looks like a great mod. Am I the only one who thinks that at the ~$33K pricepoint of the SEL Premium, it should already have Paddles on the wheel? End Rant

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Well... it is a 4 door mid-sized sedan and one of the most fuel efficient in its class. I envision soccer moms not having a clue what they are, but occasionally bumping one -- referring to 'em as W.T.F. buttons.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
(Kchorro: I want the woodgrain shiftknob pieces. The member name contact you sent me isn't valid...perhaps it was a typo? Thanks!)

JackMars

TDI
2015 Touareg TDi Highline R type
Wow! Must be brave to do it himself. I had to buy Sport option for $1200 to have this plus few carbon fibre pieces in my dashbord.
Good luck.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
JackMars, can you take pics of your interior? I'm curious to see what the Sport package gives that isn't available in the US.

Thanks!