So many choices...

loiselle.m

TDI
2000 Golf
So I think it's time for me to do some upgrades...

First off I have a 2000 Golf ALH.

A few summers ago, when I was horny for power but had no money I got an Upsolute tune; which is alright. This past winter my VNT-15 went so I one uped myself and replaced it with the VNT-17; still have the old tune. Now I'm seriously considering a new set of nozzles so that I can get a tune, and make proper use of my new turbo.

So I know I have a lot of options, but I'm just not sure which route to take; or rather, what's going to work well with my VNT-17. I've been reading on the site for the past 2-3 years trying to figure out what I should do. But there is so much information, and depending where you read it's often contradicting.

So for a while I was thinking of PP502's with a tune...now maybe R520's; and I would have liked a loader, so that I could keep a tune for power and one for mpgs; plus I'm not really that close to any of the tuner guys.

So I guess I'm asking, from experience, which nozzles would be best, and what I should get as extras....I alreay have a South Bend Stage 2 with 20lb flywheel; and was thinking a 3-bar MAP, boost and EGT gauge eventually, PD150 intake (not sure where to get it though)...

For the tune, again, with all these options, I thought maybe a tune from Malone Tuning might do the trick, since RC is hard to get a hold of. Also, a main thing for me is that I can't really afford down time. So I know Franko6 has the I.G program which is great!

Sorry about the lenghty post, but any help and insight is greatly appreciated!

Mat

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
i not long bakc now had vnt 17 pp520s @22 psi . which honestly felt a little dissapointing after pp520s and stock turbo . it felt a bit more laggy and not really much more grunt. a few people said to me that going for bigger injectors wont make that much difference . but i decided to try upgraded nozzles . the r520s were on sale so i went for overkill. i had them balenced pop tested and the pressure raised by 45 bar as recomended . mark (malone tuning)gave me a basic low fuel 22 psi tune the differenece was night and day suddenly the car had loads more go from mid to top end where it just fizzled out before with the pp520s. it felt like a different car completly. then mark gave me more fuel above 2500rpm and raised boost to 24 psi and it just kept on getting better .
i must say marks tune seemed to give me loads more power and tourque yet seemed to be much more tractable than with other tunes

Last edited:

loiselle.m

TDI
2000 Golf
Awesome! Thanks for your quick reply. So I guess the way to go would be with the R520's and a Malone Tune, in your experience.

Where did you get your injectors balanced and pop tested; did Mark at Malone Tuning do it for you? Or did you get it done somewhere else.

The reason I had mentionned Franko6's service was because he tests them all and your car has virtually no downtime.

Thanks!

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
i got mine down locally in the uk but any diesel sonic cleaning place should be able to shim the r520s for you . i bought a second hand set of injector bodies from the scrap yard and had them cleaned and balenced with the r520s on those . then just swapped them over when i was ready and sold my old ones for someone else to do the same.
i know drivebywire on here does pop testing and balencing injectors . i think he does them for kerma
if you contact mark he can steer you in the right direction and you wont be dissapointed