Ogdensburg NY tire installation shop

TDI
04 BEW Golf
Hey all,

I'm planning on having tires shipped to the US border (to save on brokerage fees charged by the thieves at UPS) and I'd drive down and get them mounted while I'm there... Will be during a weekday.

Any recommendations as per shops to go to? They'll be 225/45/17s so would like someone that won't scratch up all my wheels...

Please post contact info/address if you have it, I'll be at a Kinekpoint (NAC Logistics) 228 Ford St.

Thanks!!

Masonjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GL
Trying to figure the same thing. Chatted with a Tire Rack guy who said they have a list of approved installers where they will ship, including ones in Canada. Don't specifically know who.

I'd appreciate it if you let me know how it works out.

Andrew

TDI
04 BEW Golf
Went to Bill's Tire center this weekend.

30$/ea to mount 17" (120$/4) plus 3.50$/ea disposal fee for the old tires...

I found it a bit steep but I haven't paid to get tires mounted in years, if not the place is ok, sells everything from used F150s, to 4wheelers, tires and fishing lures... (serious)

The car did have a shimmy at 120km/h driving back home after... :(

Also got an alignment done by Monro after, recommended by Bill, they don't adjust rear toe as "there is no spec and it can't be adjusted".... I was an alignment tech @VW for 4 years - it CAN be adjusted (without shims) and there IS a spec, typical reply from someone who knows little about VWs, 80$ for a useless alignment.

TDI
04 BEW Golf
I'm thinking he doesn't like people bringing in their tires and has a special "bendover price"...

He was quoting me tires for 91$ after and selling all 4 for 440$/tax/inst incl... (cheap nankangs in 225/45/17)

You have to pay to learn!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
At $33.50/tire, I would have spun around on my heels and made a bee line for the nearest exit.

TDI
04 BEW Golf
Had no choice, GLI VR6 I bought for my mom, drove across the border on bald tires and had to drive back over to Montreal to deliver the car to her.

Don't worry you only f*ck me once.

s.pavel6

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 Jetta TDI
Also got an alignment done by Monro after, recommended by Bill, they don't adjust rear toe as "there is no spec and it can't be adjusted".... I was an alignment tech @VW for 4 years - it CAN be adjusted (without shims) and there IS a spec, typical reply from someone who knows little about VWs, 80$ for a useless alignment.
Wow.. expensive mounting..

I have always been told that the rear is pretty much fixed. Unless you're adjusting the whole beam.. How would you adjust each side independently on a Mk4?

When my rear camber was messed up, I swapped the bushings and everything went back to normal. Now I just ask for "2-wheel" alignments and pay a lot less.

TDI
04 BEW Golf
You always adjust the whole beam.

Assuming we're talking about a good condition rear axle (no worn bushings or crooked stub axles) you have enough play (~1/4" on each side) in the rear axle brackets-to-body to adjust the rear toe. You won't be able to adjust each side individually but at least you can make your thrust angle 0deg (or less than 0.10deg which is within vw spec, i like anything lower than 0.05deg) so you won't have a dog tracking car...

Dog tracking is a car that the rear end is offset with the front but still drives straight, we've all followed an old GM truck that was that way. All caused by a lazy tech who says "there's no spec for the rear it's fixed".

Rear toe spec for a mk4 is 0.16deg (33deg total toe or 20') L&R +/- 0.15deg

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/wheel_alignment.htm

TDI
04 BEW Golf
Btw it literally takes me 3mins to adjust rear toe/thrust angle on a MK4, there's no reason to not do it.

Prybar, a 3/8" impact gun with a socket joint and a 16mm socket is all you need.