Changing oil on 2011 Golf TDI

SpaceCityTDI

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Changing the oil on my 2011 Golf TDI for the first time - no owners manual (yet) - so I wanted to confirm details before I jumped in.

1) The oil drain plug is the 21mm hex plug just aft of the engine undercover, near the centerline of the car.

2) The oil filter goes into the black case on the front driver's side of the engine, with a 34mm hex on the top. I should just loosen that, pull it up, and pull out the old cartridge and drop the new one in. (Installation is the reverse of removal).

3) I've seen lots of other discussion and posts on the forum about oil types. Is any CJ-4 oil (for example, Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40) acceptable? I didn't see it listed on the 507.00 approved oils on VW's tech bulletin. The latest oil tech bulletin I saw out there was from 2008.....

Thanks in advance - great forum!

elconquistador

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I believe the oil cap is 32 mm. And no Shell Rotella T is not an acceptable oil to use. You can find a list of VS 507.00 oils listed on this forum...

2011 Golf TDI

TDI
2011 Golf TDi
Since oil changes are covered under the 3 year/36,000 maintenance package that covers your car, why are you considering changing your oil yourself? Just wondering.

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
Since oil changes are covered under the 3 year/36,000 maintenance package that covers your car, why are you considering changing your oil yourself? Just wondering.
Because, for the most part, VW service techs in the US are either not familiar with TDIs at all, or are simply morons. Many many many reports of incorrect oil usage, over filling of oil, etc.

For the OP, you WILL USE 507.00 oil or you will risk having your warranty voided. Generally speaking your best bet is to either go to your local dealership's parts department and but 5L of the Castrol LL03 Professional that they stock for the TDIs. It will be in gold, 1L bottles.

You can also order oil from any one of the many TDI vendors out there, idparts.com boraparts.com kermatdi.com just to name a few. For example: http://www.idparts.com/catalog/adva....00&osCsid=ctrh44merlaqna7po3a4b49mm4&x=0&y=0

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW 6M MKVII, 2011 Golf TDI 6M (bought back)
Golf Oil Change

yes, it's a 32mm. also I read on here (and probably a few other sites) that you are not supposed to re-use the drain plug. it has a permanent copper crush washer which is a single-use item. otherwise you may risk leaks or damaging threads in the pan by overtightening. I've not verified this, it is what I read in multiple areas. (and sites selling change kits usually include a new plug) I bought an oil extractor instead. no plug replacement, no belly pan removal, no ramps required. I haven't decided if I'm going to do it myself or not. I've got a long way to go. (under 2300 miles currently) I'm going to wait until the service recommended 10,000 miles and just keep an eye on the level. I'm fortunate to live not too far from an import parts store that carries 504.00/507.00 Total Ineo at about $8 per liter. I was skeptical if it was actually 507, but after some searching, it appears to be compliant.

Good Luck.

SpaceCityTDI

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Thanks everyone for the informative replies!

Why am I doing this? As WVU TDI stated, I don't trust the dealership, not just for lack of skill, but also to avoid the pain and frustration of dealing with them. This is such an easy job and I know it will be done correctly.

So I take it the drain plug description I gave was correct - I will look into the oil extractor......although I don't think I will install that while it is still under warranty.

Regarding the 507-type oils, it looks like Valvoline SynPower XL-III is available on Amazon Prime for a decent price, and that's listed in the 2008 VW tech bulletin, so there should be no problem with warranty. If anyone knows of a more up to date list of oils from VW, please let me know.

(The reason I listed the Shell oil in the previous post was based on a thorough article on turbodieselregister.com Nice comparisons of the various oils.)

Thanks again everyone!

elconquistador

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
The oil extractor is not installed. It is a device used to "pull" the oil out of the oil pan via suction. Google "Pela" and you will see what we are talking about. Some dealerships apparently use this method as well...

idparts.com is a good vendor to buy the 507.00 oil from. Haven't heard anything about Valvolne synPower though.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Thanks everyone for the informative replies!

Why am I doing this? As WVU TDI stated, I don't trust the dealership, not just for lack of skill, but also to avoid the pain and frustration of dealing with them. This is such an easy job and I know it will be done correctly.

So I take it the drain plug description I gave was correct - I will look into the oil extractor......although I don't think I will install that while it is still under warranty.

Regarding the 507-type oils, it looks like Valvoline SynPower XL-III is available on Amazon Prime for a decent price, and that's listed in the 2008 VW tech bulletin, so there should be no problem with warranty. If anyone knows of a more up to date list of oils from VW, please let me know.

(The reason I listed the Shell oil in the previous post was based on a thorough article on turbodieselregister.com Nice comparisons of the various oils.)

Thanks again everyone!
You will not go wrong with Mobil One ESP 5w30 VW 507.00. I am sure it is more locally available than even here, where it is pretty much locally available. I would not be doing anything UNDER 10,000 miles OCI's.

SpaceCityTDI

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Thanks again for the info all. I will likely buy the extractor. Beats jacking up the car and crawling under it!

WVU TDI: The link you posted was for the 5W-40 version of the oil, Amazon also sells the 5W-30 version, which is the one listed on the technical bulletin.

I am basing the list of compatible oils off of VW's 2008 technical bulletin I found on myturbodiesel.com. I just searched for a variety of them on Amazon until one of them came up. The Mobil One ESP also comes up, but only the 5W-40 version, not the 5W-30 version listed in the technical bulletin.

CedarPark68

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Wagen
SpaceCity,

I'm a huge Amazon Prime customer ... I don't see the oil you mention, especially as a Prime purchase.

You are best off with M1 ESP 5w30 from Pep Boys, or also these days, most Napa stores are carrying Liqui Moly ... you can have them order Top Tec 4200.

AutoHausAZ is also a good source with free shipping if you order enough.

CedarPark68

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Wagen
SpaceCity,

I'm a huge Amazon Prime customer ... I don't see the oil you mention, especially as a Prime purchase.

You are best off with M1 ESP 5w30 from Pep Boys, or also these days, most Napa stores are carrying Liqui Moly ... you can have them order Top Tec 4200.

AutoHausAZ is also a good source with free shipping if you order enough.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Because, for the most part, VW service techs in the US are either not familiar with TDIs at all, or are simply morons. Many many many reports of incorrect oil usage, over filling of oil, etc.

For the OP, you WILL USE 507.00 oil or you will risk having your warranty voided. Generally speaking your best bet is to either go to your local dealership's parts department and but 5L of the Castrol LL03 Professional that they stock for the TDIs. It will be in gold, 1L bottles.

You can also order oil from any one of the many TDI vendors out there, idparts.com boraparts.com kermatdi.com just to name a few. For example: http://www.idparts.com/catalog/adva....00&osCsid=ctrh44merlaqna7po3a4b49mm4&x=0&y=0
It looks like the only moron here might be the OP, because:
1) He doesn't want to visit VW dealership for oil changes he payed for insisting on doing the job correctly. That puts warranty into risk.
2) He tries to use High-SAPS oil in DPF equipped car.
3) He thinks the engine oil drain plug is actually transmission drain plug.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I don't think my drain plug has been changed out with 4 oil changes on it, same OEM washer installed. The washer isn't a copper crush washer unlike previous models, and i haven't lost a drop of oil from the plug (IC housing is different).

Next time I'm going to change it out with a futmoto valve and never worry about it again.

BrShootr

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI JSW
I know this seems like a trivial question but has anyone who's used an extractor tried to open the drain plug to see if there is any leftover oil in the pan?

Also, doesn't the pan capture all sorts of debris from the engine which will then not be captured by the extractor since you have a slower flow or maybe not getting the oil from the bottom of the pan? What I mean by not getting from the bottom of the pan is that the heavier debris will be sitting on the bottom of the pan instead of flowing with the oil through the drain.

Sorry for my ignorance but these are just things that have come to mind. I've never heard of anyone using these extractors until I became a member of the form.

2004Nick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Recommended oil extractors

Pella works great for me---gone forever are the bad old days of squeezing under the car in the mud and getting hot cc oil running up my arm. I do it from the top now without spilling a drop. One of the best features is the graduated container so you can see EXACTLTY how much comes out. I use it
for everything, even the lawnmower. Another think I like is it makes it easy to remove any accidental overfill. Buy them at any marine store. Different
sizes available. Good luck---Nick in British Columbia. :D

2011 Golf TDI

TDI
2011 Golf TDi
WVU TDI: The link you posted was for the 5W-40 version of the oil, Amazon also sells the 5W-30 version, which is the one listed on the technical bulletin.

I am basing the list of compatible oils off of VW's 2008 technical bulletin I found on myturbodiesel.com. I just searched for a variety of them on Amazon until one of them came up. The Mobil One ESP also comes up, but only the 5W-40 version, not the 5W-30 version listed in the technical bulletin.
You should not rely on the 2008 tech bulletin. 2009+ engines have different specifications. You should use only oil meeting the 507.00 spec. I don't believe Valvoline shows as meeting that spec. Mobil One ESP 5w-30 meets the spec. It is listed on the label of the bottle.

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
Changing the oil on my 2011 Golf TDI for the first time - no owners manual (yet) - so I wanted to confirm details before I jumped in.

1) The oil drain plug is the 21mm hex plug just aft of the engine undercover, near the centerline of the car.

2) The oil filter goes into the black case on the front driver's side of the engine, with a 34mm hex on the top. I should just loosen that, pull it up, and pull out the old cartridge and drop the new one in. (Installation is the reverse of removal).

3) I've seen lots of other discussion and posts on the forum about oil types. Is any CJ-4 oil (for example, Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40) acceptable? I didn't see it listed on the 507.00 approved oils on VW's tech bulletin. The latest oil tech bulletin I saw out there was from 2008.....

Thanks in advance - great forum!
here is a link I found. not sure on its date. there are a couple 507's listed. I thought I found an up to date earlier but cannot find it now. my dealer had a TSB on oil spec posted at the service desk counter.

http://owners.vw.com/media/docs/Approved_Oil_List.pdf

also to clarify, the filter is located on the top of the engine encased in a dark plastic / metal (on the bottom half) housing on the drivers side. its also a good idea to buy a turkey baster to get the old oil from the housing as well as to use it to pre-fill the new installed filter.

about the dealers, I don't trust them either. the sales person really didnt understand what I was talking about, neither did the guy at the service counter. only one mechanic did. they are only human and do make mistakes. I dont feel like being a hawk and breathing down their neck to ensure they put the correct stuff in. there are stories all over this board on mistakes. yes I pre-paid for them but it isn't worth it if they damage it by using the incorrect oil. I'd rather enjoy my life and my car then spend time in an attorneys office after the fact disputing what oil was used. from what I understand you can call the vw customer support and supposedly have them enter a ticket into the system stating that the oil was changed so it shows in their records and possibly carfax. (may or may not be true) save the receipts. if you ever got into a dispute over engine/dpf damage they would sample the oil and find the incorrect spec was used (if it was). if they change it, you have a record but you still have to deal with fighting them. always use a VW 507.00 spec oil.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
its also a good idea to buy a turkey baster to get the old oil from the housing as well as to use it to pre-fill the new installed filter.
I used 4.3-4.5L to fill I didn't do anything other than pull the oil filter and let everything drain out, maybe gravity was on my side.

Eurosport

TDI
2.0 TDI
i have used The Topsider since 2002 on various cars (after seeing oil changes at Mercedes dealerships which of course went by extraction method lol),
when i got the TDI and went for Pela extractor and it's by far better than the Topsider which still works btw. even when on rare occasion i do a drain oil change i still use the Pela for the oil filter housing extraction. i use it on my generator oil changes, on my lawnmower, hell i even used it on a steering fluid change at times.

some people will always be against diy oil changes and throw a fit because you don't take it in at the dealership when it's free oil changes. guess what? it's more convenient for me to do it in my garage, w/out any worry about "car wash" swirls, overtorqued drain bolts, correct oil, correct oil quantity, scheduling, waiting rooms full of obnoxious kids, get the point?
not to mention, you'll learn a lot more about your vehicle...

and dealership doesn't stock Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 ;)

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree with you. Too bad they don't offer what another suggested.... Give me the oil and filters enough to cover what I prepaid in "careless" maintenance and I'll go away happy.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Sorry didn't want to be rude but got caught by some strange emotion moment. Still, naming everyone else (in this case all dealerships) isn't very good idea either.

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok. To be fair I've not yet tried other dealerships (just two, and with delivery concerns/problems not warranty or service related issues). We got off on the wrong foot. Unfortunately it appears I'm not the only one. if I have a positive experience I'll post it. I know I like reading good experiences a lot more than the bad ones that seem prevalent on the boards. I'm sure all the dealers are not bad, otherwise they wouldn't be selling many cars. unfortunately there are only 2-3 dealers within my area rather than the amount of dealers for domestics here. It's much easier to just pick another one if you run into an issue with them.

Last edited:

Rod Knock

TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG in Candy White
I agree with you. Too bad they don't offer what another suggested.... Give me the oil and filters enough to cover what I prepaid in "careless" maintenance and I'll go away happy.
I wonder if a dealership would actually do that. I'll have to try that approach when I go pick mine up later this week.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
OP

Don't forget to replace the O-ring on the oil filter housing cap (didn't see it mentioned).

I have personally done 7 oil changes on my '09. The only difference between the '09 and my '03 is my topsider does not get more than 2 quarts out of the '09 sump....so I drain it from the plug.

Tim