chewing gum in floormat!

ufoguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, Shadow Blue, gray leather
wow, what a wonderful feeling to hop back into my new NB (two weeks old) and notice that my left foot is firmly attached to the new floormat by a jumbo glob of blue chewing gum. most of which stayed in the floor mat.

this is great. i bought a white/black NB so that i didn't have to hassle with stained floor mats anymore. black would be easy to keep clean, right? oh well, now to the cleaning.

what is your recommendation for getting the glue out of the mat without scrubbing it excessively.

i was planning to use some goo gone and hopefully loosen it enough that it will lift out with light scrubbing.

what do you recommend?

thanks!

mobe

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Many years ago, the school nurse got gum outta my hair with peanut butter. /images/graemlins/frown.gif
I'd try ice first to avoid the smell of peanut butter replacing the gum. Dump a lot of ice on the gum, wait a few minutes and then try and pick the frozen gum out of the carpet.
Hope this helps!

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
I used to use AC gas for it. A can of R-134, sprayed through the hose will do the trick. The R-134 will freeze dry gum so that you can just scrape it off. Too much rubbing and you'll have a wear spot in you mat.

fallingwindows

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen
If you can fit your mat in the freezer, should work the same - the goo gone might affect the carpet dye, but probably not - go with the citrus based rather than the petroleum version

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
I used Goo Gone on my MB floormats to get gum off... and it took the carpet off! I would try peanut butter or freezing. You can use "canned air" from Office Depot to freeze it... just put the crevice tube on the can and turn it upside down.

ufoguy

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks for the responses. i used googone and it worked perfectly. the gum softened and seemed to dissolve as i used a soft nylon brush to scrub it off (gently).

i ignored the googone directions about not spraying directly onto carpet as it might dissolve the glue - but i figured what the hell since the gum was worse than losing some carpet fibers. absolutely NO fibers came loose and the mat looks as good as new.

googone is great stuff.

vaxick

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2000, Satin Silver
[ QUOTE ]
Rubber floor mats /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Rats, you beat me to it!

Monster Mats are a nice thing to have in your VW.

Dana Bartholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
Monster mats: Only way to go. I once tried the deluxe carpet mat with the embroidered "Golf," and my accel heel bore a hole through it in 20K. Whoever designed that mat without a rubber footpad has a hole in his or her head.

ufoguy

Veteran Member
TDI
i am convinced. monster mats it will be. when i buy a new car i usually buy an extra set of floormats from the dealer (i have kept my last two cars over seven years and during that time floormats will either wear out or get damaged). when cleaning the floormat with googone i noticed that it is not a very substantial product (thin carpet, lightweight backing). rubber mats would be better. i will wait to see if googone did a number on the mat.

thanks!

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

vaxick

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2000, Satin Silver
Yeah, the floor mats in VW's are are pretty flimsy. Monster Mats will cost you about $91, but their well worth it.

blitzoid

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue '02 Golf GLS TDI
Don't buy them at a dealer!!!

Look on vortex, look at impex (vwparts.com) etc. I got my set from a vortexer, set me back a mere $65, and that included shipping.