www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Ontario

Ontario Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

Old March 4th, 2017, 01:39   #1
BigBadThor
Veteran Member

Default To Sell Or Not To Sell

Would like to solicit some advice from the good people on here. I want to know what the current market is for a 5spd ALH wagon (see my signature for a description). This is a head vs. heart issue. I love the hell out of this car but I'm starting to wonder if I should sell it while it's still running great and looking fairly good...in other words, while it still has value. The KMs are high (467K) but it's been my baby since I imported it 6 years ago and have taken great care of it.
My issue is that we live in a condo and only have space for one car (else I would keep it), and I have neither the time, facilities, or talent to wrench it myself. Because of the high mileage I've had to put a lot of money into it lately (a used transmission was the latest big expense) and I did it without blinking because I had always planned to put at least 500K on it, if not 6 or 7 hundred. But my circumstances are such that I MUST have a dead reliable car. I am a professional drummer and cannot afford to have a breakdown (another reason I have been so fastidious about maintenance), because it's not just me that has to make the gig, it's my gear as well.
To replace it, I'm considering is doing a lease takeover. I've done it a couple of times before and it's worked out well. I drive about 32,000 KMs a year, so I would find something with lots of kilometres and warranty left, and then give it back at the end of the lease and do it all again. Predictable expenses, and I'm always driving a reliable (but boring) car.
So what would you guys do? Keep it going for the love of it and hope it doesn't leave me stranded for a few years? Or could there be someone who would love it as I do and give me a good price for it now?
Also...it would need a new passenger side mirror and an airbag module to pass safety.
Old March 4th, 2017, 04:05   #2
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Has the car stranded you? I have 345K miles on my '02 Wagon and it's only quit on me once in 15 years. If I'd known more at the time it wouldn't have needed a tow. I don't think I'd expect any better performance from a new car. This is probably more a matter of what you're comfortable with than anything else. A newer car might give you more peace of mind, even if factually it's not any more reliable.

Of course I'd vote you keep it, as I've kept mine. I have a great guru available to me and also have other vehicles, so the choice is a bit easier. However, if I were to keep just one of the cars I currently own the Wagon would be it, even though it has the most miles on it.
Old March 4th, 2017, 11:08   #3
BigBadThor
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Has the car stranded you? I have 345K miles on my '02 Wagon and it's only quit on me once in 15 years. If I'd known more at the time it wouldn't have needed a tow. I don't think I'd expect any better performance from a new car. This is probably more a matter of what you're comfortable with than anything else. A newer car might give you more peace of mind, even if factually it's not any more reliable.
Of course I'd vote you keep it, as I've kept mine. I have a great guru available to me and also have other vehicles, so the choice is a bit easier. However, if I were to keep just one of the cars I currently own the Wagon would be it, even though it has the most miles on it.
Thanks for responding. You're one of the first people I think of in terms of loyalty to their wagon. It's never let me down (at least where it was a mechanical fault of the car; it was human error) and if it ever did I do have CAA Plus, so my drums and I could get towed to the gig. But then I'm left scrambling. It's tough...I've spent years and lots of money setting it up just the way I like it...would be a sad day to watch it drive away...just wondering if that's the best long term plan.
Old March 4th, 2017, 13:18   #4
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Most likely its value how is as high as it's going to be for a long, long time. We've seen a renewed interest in MKIV cars post-dieselgate, as TDI fans who've turned in their CR cars are returning to ALHs and BEWs. Prices were falling until recently, and now good MKIVs are hard to find and people will pay for a car like yours. You'll have to make that choice. Sometimes it feels more logical to move on than keep what you have. I've been fortunate since I've bought replacements for IBW before selling it, and then have ended up selling the replacements.
Old March 4th, 2017, 23:54   #5
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

It's the devil you know... don't turn your back on it just because of what the clock says. The maint is up to speed, just keep enjoying it. You're in TO so you have some TDI Gurus around you, just pay them a visit once every 6 mnths to have it checked over and continue raking up the kms! In the long run, it will save you money.

I saw a manual silver TDI wagon not too long ago, running and driving with long beach rims for a $1000. I had just bought a golf, and I was STILL tempted to buy the wagon too.

As for price, you have to ask the price that makes sense for you. I was thinking of selling my daily driver a few years back, perfectly running driving 2001 civic with no rust for $1000. High mileage though. One guy looked at it, whined about how it might need a clutch, I turned down his offer. Two years and 40K later, I'm still driving that car with the same clutch. So if I had sold it ('given it away') for less than asking price, I'd be a damn fool. You know best what your car is worth, no one else! I've been contemplating selling the car I'm building now (mostly cuz I lack employment), but I don't think I'll be even considering anything less than around $4000 given all the work in this car and how good it looks.

98 Civic 5 spd VSM H&R coilovers 16" Gram Light 57C 4 wheel disk ITR 22mm RSB SiR 26 mm FSB SS304 manifold TD04L turbo Hondata ECU RC 440cc Holley 255lph Greddy Sparco Monza B&M OEM lip

93 Saturn SW2 5 spd OEM fogs Sprint 2.0 / KYB 18" forged Fast 4 wheel disk SPS intake & SS header mk3 front lip ACCMats carpet
bbarbulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 06:32   #6
TQOOOO
Veteran Member

Quote:
as TDI fans who've turned in their CR cars are returning to ALHs and BEWs.
Why would FANS return their CRs? Most TDI fans don't care about emissions.
TQOOOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 08:33   #7
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQOOOO View Post
Why would FANS return their CRs? Most TDI fans don't care about emissions.
Money. It's hard for many people to pass on what VW is offering.
Old March 6th, 2017, 11:26   #8
BigBadThor
Veteran Member

Quote:
Exactly what I was about to type.
Old March 6th, 2017, 14:46   #9
imo000
Veteran Member

Quote:
What money and what offering? The buybacks hasn't started north of Trumpland.
imo000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 14:59   #10
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by imo000 View Post
What money and what offering? The buybacks hasn't started north of Trumpland.
I'm in the US and was commenting on what we're seeing here. It's driving prices of older TDIs up, I suspect, in Canada as well, since some people do bring them across the border.

And it sounds like Canadians will ultimately get a buyback, even if it's not as lucrative as the US version. That will probably affect interest in older TDIs.
Old March 6th, 2017, 16:05   #11
BigBadThor
Veteran Member

Quote:
And it sounds like Canadians will ultimately get a buyback, even if it's not as lucrative as the US version. That will probably affect interest in older TDIs.
I've heard it will be quite comparable to what Americans have received. This may be the best reason to hang on to mine...maybe even do a little bodywork to it.