www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old February 20th, 2017, 07:22   #61
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Yeah, the ford 300 I6 is pretty legendary for its reliability. Right up there with the dodge slant 6. Just what you want in a pickup, IMO.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 07:48   #62
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

The 2.7 Ecoboost is a next-generation design and is a good choice for the F150. The manufacturers are not standing still, and they know what the issues are with the original 3.5 Ecoboost (and that engine had modifications also).

Intake valve clogging ... Varies all over the map. Some engines have had big problems, others have not. In the cases of big problems, some drivers have it happen and others don't, so it probably depends on driving patterns as well.

I've opted to stay away from this until it's figured out. The non-turbo non-direct-injection Pentastar in my van does fine for what it is. I have a friend who has a Pentastar/8-speed combination in a Ram 1500 pickup, and he reports 11-ish L/100 km in normal driving (21 mpg US), which is OK for a vehicle like that.

The Toyota 3.4 V6 was never known for being thrifty.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 18:55   #63
Mcgink
Veteran Member

I've driven the 2.7 ecoboost in an AWD MKX and those twin turbos turned that sled into a rocket. I averaged 22 MPG in the 2 tanks I drove it.
My 2.0 ecoboost AWD sedan averages about 26 MPG but I can get 30 on a road trip. It's got plenty of get up and go but no where close to the 2.7

Last edited by Mcgink; February 20th, 2017 at 19:08.
Mcgink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 05:56   #64
speedrye
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Intake valve clogging ... Varies all over the map. Some engines have had big problems, others have not. In the cases of big problems, some drivers have it happen and others don't, so it probably depends on driving patterns as well.

I've opted to stay away from this until it's figured out.
I've heard about issues with carbon fouling on valves with these newer DIT engines, but my bigger issue is with the HPFP and the numerous issues in most vehicles running them. The HPFP is the bigger reason I've opted to go back to a naturally-aspirated, large-displacement engine. Having had ~6 HPFP cars in the past 10 years, there were too many common issues for me to trust the technology to get me from point A to point B reliably, especially now that I've got a kid. I'm willing to take the hit on fuel mileage in trade for longevity, reliability and cost of repair if anything ever goes wrong.

Random side note: I racked up hundreds of thousands of miles on 1997-2000 Chevy 3500 vans with the Duramax. Averaged just under 30mpg towing an 8,000 lb trailer with fully-equipped cargo racks and tools inside the vans. On the rare trips without a trailer, mpg was usually close to 25. They were the opposite of these new small-displacement turbo cars. Obviously designed to be loaded up and driven, but not very efficient with minimal load. Loved those vans.

Last edited by speedrye; February 21st, 2017 at 06:03.
speedrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 06:12   #65
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

BMW has had big trouble with GDI fuel pumps...
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 06:18   #66
speedrye
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
BMW has had big trouble with GDI fuel pumps...
Yup, I recall that with my 135i...
speedrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 07:24   #67
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSTDI View Post
"The Nano V6 seems pretty frugal, that is what my Dad bought. It is peppy to drive unloaded, and has good punch to get up to speed when you need it. It is surprisingly quick for its size. It can get into the mid 20s MPGs with light load and moderate speeds. His is a supercab, short bed, 4WD."

That's better fuel economy than my 3.4L V6 2002 4WD extended cab manual transmission Tacoma.

Don
It's about the same mileage I get with my 07 Canyon with the 2.8l and 5 speed manual.
Old February 25th, 2017, 05:18   #68
evantful
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44.3 AV

I can understand from an emissions stand point that the extremely small engines are designed to the test. But as an end user I absolutely love the flexibility.

It gives you a lot of control over what kind of experience you want.
-Keep the engine from spooling up the turbo and keep boost down and get excellent fuel economy.
-Want a fun ripping drive, nail the throttle

I switched over to a 1.8TSI Golf SE after my buyback and I can't tell you enough on how impressed I am with this engine. I have just under 11k now on it, and its really breaking in nice.

This was the result of a 100 mile trip from Montgomery, NY to Troy, NY door to door, Mostly highway at 65mph with a detour mid way up to stop at a bank and get lunch. This was with 16" Snow Tires on in 70 degree weather.

Last edited by evantful; February 25th, 2017 at 05:22.
evantful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 04:50   #69
donDavide
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/45/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by evantful View Post
I can understand from an emissions stand point that the extremely small engines are designed to the test. But as an end user I absolutely love the flexibility.

It gives you a lot of control over what kind of experience you want.
-Keep the engine from spooling up the turbo and keep boost down and get excellent fuel economy.
-Want a fun ripping drive, nail the throttle

I switched over to a 1.8TSI Golf SE after my buyback and I can't tell you enough on how impressed I am with this engine. I have just under 11k now on it, and its really breaking in nice.

This was the result of a 100 mile trip from Montgomery, NY to Troy, NY door to door, Mostly highway at 65mph with a detour mid way up to stop at a bank and get lunch. This was with 16" Snow Tires on in 70 degree weather.

I wouldn't consider the 1.8TSI a small engine, especially for the Golf.
donDavide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 05:12   #70
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

No, not very small at all... and not really anything special. The only thing (I think) that avails these new 1.8L turbo engines increased efficiency over the old 1.8L turbo engines is largely the gearing in the transmission. Because the engine itself certainly is not a quantum leap forward. Peak horsepower is the same at 170 as most of the second gen 1.8L turbo engines, and the peak torque is a little bit better at 184 vs. 177, and the range in which these occur is probably better on the newer engines. But the gearing of the older ones is downright abysmal for fuel economy, and it isn't exactly like the older engines could not handle the higher gearing. I'd bet if you bolted a 6sp manual with similar long legged gearing in an AWP A4 Golf you'd see MPG in the 40s too. And I'd bet my farm it'll still do it 250k miles later, too.

See my FS thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=446942
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 17:16   #71
LRTDI
Veteran Member

Having driven a three cylinder Octavia, it was ok, albeit needed that very short first gear and a good bit of rowing when loaded.

Ford has just introduced a new three cylinder engine with three cylinders and a turbo replacing the previous four cylinder. Fewer parts. Add a cylinder for an additional 500cc. Sounds like a laundry detergent weekly deal.....

Last edited by LRTDI; February 27th, 2017 at 17:21.
LRTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 06:02   #72
evantful
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
No, not very small at all... and not really anything special.
Yeah you're right, definitely not the smallest thing compared to the 3cyl 1L out there.

But Im still impressed with the fuel economy. Mind you my numbers are in a SE, which only comes with a Aisin 09G Auto, no 5 speed manual option with the SE with a really tall 5th or 6th gear like in other VW Manuals.

This is also along with a decades worth of added safety reinforcement and advancement, while being dimensionally larger than the Mk4 in virtually every way.

The final piece is that, as stated above, Im still running snow tires on a day that it was 70 degrees, as seen on the display. So with a 6MT and all season tires I would certainly expect to get even higher than what I did.

To be fair on the return trip I averaged 42.8.

Last edited by evantful; February 28th, 2017 at 07:19.
Old February 28th, 2017, 08:51   #73
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

How would this 1.8TSI Golf SE average MPG be loaded once in a while?

If you look up the 2016 + 2017 Golf with the 1.8L engine in Fuelly.com you get an average of around 28 MPG with a little bit over 400K miles of combined real life driving.

Correct?
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 10:24   #74
evantful
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
How would this 1.8TSI Golf SE average MPG be loaded once in a while?

If you look up the 2016 + 2017 Golf with the 1.8L engine in Fuelly.com you get an average of around 28 MPG with a little bit over 400K miles of combined real life driving.

Correct?
Just need to clarify what you mean by loaded? Loaded as in the car being loaded up with cargo or passengers (i.e. extra weight) or loaded like the number itself (44mpg) is computer BS?

If its the latter, then yes, the built in MPG reading is about 1mpg-1.5mpg high. Thats been the case pretty much on every VW I have owned vs my hand calculations.

Mind you Im coming from the TDI and I bought my TDI, as did many, because we are highway warriors that do a lot of mileage. My numbers will certainly outpace a fuelly average because I would suspect the vast majority of 1.8tsi owners don't do the same city/highway break down as an average TDI owner. My overall average is 38.1 and has been climbing steadily from the mid 36's

Last edited by evantful; February 28th, 2017 at 10:46.
Old February 28th, 2017, 12:01   #75
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

evantful, I was referring to physically loaded.

Even assuming 50/50 city/highway and somewhat loaded I am somewhat disappointed with the Golf 1.8L average MPG. On the other hand looking at the Mazda 3 hatchback for the same years gives about 10% better average MPG at 31.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote