www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old February 15th, 2017, 21:48   #16
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

can't wait until the 2013 approval hits
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4 that gets 20MPG
1990 Toyota xcab 4x4 3.0 v6 (3.slow) 15MPG
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 19:08   #17
F14

I just had my first step of TDI recall done on my 2015 Passat. The torque is noticably lower at lower RPMs. I have to push the throttle pedal down further and the car downshifts much more than it did before.
I have contacted VW America and started a complaint case. I have seen others posting online this same issue. Disappointed so far but hoping a Molone tune will get me back all my power plus more.
F14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2017, 12:23   #18
Funguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 mpg

I wonder if they messed-up the reprogram on your car F14? The paperwork says that DSG cars will shift up sooner in S-mode after the modification. This makes me think that the car will in fact need to down shift more often. They said in the ppwk that the earlier up shifts would make the car a more comfortable drive or less busy or something like that. Sounds a little baloney to me. If you want a less busy drive you would shift to D, right? Anyway good luck
Funguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2017, 12:32   #19
Funguy
Veteran Member

I brought my car in for the first emission modification on Friday. My nemesis MIL was on for the whole week with the POOBD P00BDcode that nobody knows how to fix. I didn't clear the light because I wanted the dealer to see that that problem is still there. Well the dealer told me they couldn't do the emissions mod because of the code! I was NOT happy to hear this. They contacted VW and found they would have to work on the code first.
Well I have to say the Boulder Colorado dealership has treated me very well. They gave me a 2017 loaner car and did all the work and then the MOD. Picked up the car on Saturday morning. The dealer told me that the emissions modification will fix the problem of the POOBD code also. While I will not be convinced that this is true until I am MIL free for at least 5000 miles, I think they may be correct after reading the paperwork which says that OBD parameters will be relaxed by the emissions modification. A very pleasant surprise to hear this. Sucks to have the check engine light popping on frequently

So I've only driven about 30 miles but so far I find nothing different about the sound, power or feel of the car. Since I've retired I don't drive as regularly as I used to. It will be hard for me to say without doubt if there is any change in the car but I will post here if I notice any changes in mpg or anything else.

Last edited by Funguy; February 26th, 2017 at 13:59.
Old February 28th, 2017, 14:32   #20
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funguy View Post
I wonder if they messed-up the reprogram on your car F14? The paperwork says that DSG cars will shift up sooner in S-mode after the modification. This makes me think that the car will in fact need to down shift more often. They said in the ppwk that the earlier up shifts would make the car a more comfortable drive or less busy or something like that. Sounds a little baloney to me. If you want a less busy drive you would shift to D, right? Anyway good luck
I always felt that sport mode shifted too late. I'd welcome earlier shifts in sport.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 14:45   #21
Funguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
I always felt that sport mode shifted too late. I'd welcome earlier shifts in sport.
Yeah and on the other hand I felt that in Drive it choses 6th gear a little too soon in the wife's DSG.

Now, with my 6sp manual in my Passat after the emissions reprogram, I see the computer in no longer telling me to shift from 4th to 5th gear so early. Damn thing got me "programmed" to shift early and now it telling me not to shift so early!

I see in the paperwork that they claim the manuals pollute NOx a bit more than the automatics after the reprogram. That is kind of weird.

I also think that I have lost some MPGs. Drove about 90 miles today and could barely get the trip computer to get to 47 mpg. I have a hwy trip to Denver tomorrow so I will have more evidence. I'm thinking I am down about 2 mpg but it is too soon to be sure. Also it was cold here today.
Old February 28th, 2017, 15:51   #22
Skimax
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funguy View Post
Yeah and on the other hand I felt that in Drive it choses 6th gear a little too soon in the wife's DSG.

Now, with my 6sp manual in my Passat after the emissions reprogram, I see the computer in no longer telling me to shift from 4th to 5th gear so early. Damn thing got me "programmed" to shift early and now it telling me not to shift so early!

I see in the paperwork that they claim the manuals pollute NOx a bit more than the automatics after the reprogram. That is kind of weird.

I also think that I have lost some MPGs. Drove about 90 miles today and could barely get the trip computer to get to 47 mpg. I have a hwy trip to Denver tomorrow so I will have more evidence. I'm thinking I am down about 2 mpg but it is too soon to be sure. Also it was cold here today.

might just be the cold temps, we drop 4-5mpg when it's cold and our winter tires are on, 2-3 drop in warmer wx with the winter tires.
Old February 28th, 2017, 19:17   #23
Funguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimax View Post
might just be the cold temps, we drop 4-5mpg when it's cold and our winter tires are on, 2-3 drop in warmer wx with the winter tires.
Yes I hope it was just the colder weather and it was mixed hwy/city driving. Tomorrow I have a 120 mile hwy trip to make and the weather will be a little warmer. That should give me a better idea. I usually top 50 mpg on this trip.

2 or so mpg might make me pout a little but it's not a deal killer. I will still be glad that I kept my car.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 22:01   #24
Funguy
Veteran Member

Well I did the 120 mile HWY trip two days in a row. I still feel like I have lost about 2 MPGs after the "fix" but there was some traffic both days so maybe? One trip tomorrow. Seems to be worst in around town driving than Hwy driving in comparison to pre-"fix". I'm not going to post anymore about this unless something changes. Just thought folks might want to know.
Old March 4th, 2017, 17:30   #25
markm102

Cool March 3....Comes and Goes / 2013 TDI

Not sure where this belongs but thought I'd start here.

As we begin to see the modifications for Gen 3 TDI's, I was looking for an update about the submission deadline of March 3, 2017 for Gen 2's. Anyone hear anything? How much different could the "fix" actually be?
markm102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 19:28   #26
Funguy
Veteran Member

Default New Twist

So as you know I feel I have lost a couple of mpg with the emissions "fix". Well today I thought I would check my oil level. The car has not needed any oil and I have never added any. Oil was changed by the dealer in December and I believe that I checked it (I never trust anyone) and iirc it was just right.

Well today it was WAY OVER. Car had been sitting in the garage for about 36 hours. The oil is I'd say almost 4" past full. In fact it is up to the little ball that is above the "cylinder" shaped thing at the end of the dip stick. Yup the oil level is in the middle of that ball that is about the size of a 00 buck shot!

So while it is possible that I failed to check the oil level after the change (my memory is very poor) I really think I did and fuzzily remember being happy.

So what happened? I believe they did their "courtesy" topping off the fluids and just threw a quart in there or whatever it takes to put the oil that far over. I've had trouble with these courtesy things before. Tire pressure reduced or over, coolant added over the top, freshly waxed car sprayed with detergent.......

I have been so happy with this service dept. They have made some errors before and fixed them and been really nice about it. They fractured my engine cover and replaced it. They got a tiny chip in my paint, they gave me free touch up paint etc. But it is getting old....... I will have to call the shop in the morning and complain and have them take out the correct amount of oil. I feel like I'm the schmuck who is never happy. I don't like to complain and now it is like everytime........

So anyway: Does anyone know if that much oil overfill could account for my slight loss of mpg? AND how likely am I to have permanent damage from this? I have taken the car about 300 miles at speeds of 75-80 mph I think it likely that the mpg's were hurt but I am unsure about potential damage. I was just falling in love with my tdi all over again and would hate to lose it. THANKS

Last edited by Funguy; March 5th, 2017 at 19:30. Reason: grammer
Old March 5th, 2017, 21:26   #27
jrm
Veteran Member

check it 5 minutes after shutdown, German cars slowly drain back out of the cooler. If its still over id drain some out as you don't want it to get whipped up by the crankshaft.
Old March 6th, 2017, 10:28   #28
740GLE
Veteran Member

always check the level of warm oil, not cold oil
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 10:30   #29
Funguy
Veteran Member

Wouldn't warm be even higher though? Expansion. I will check it warm today. Heading out to pick up an oil extraction pump
Old March 6th, 2017, 19:09   #30
jrm
Veteran Member

normally between 5 and 15 minutes is the golden time to check the oil. I learned this the hard way on a Honda Dry sump XR600R after I dumped 6 quarts into the thing back when I was 15