www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old January 24th, 2017, 09:58   #1
PAJettaTDI

Default 2015 Passat - Went with Approved Emissions Modification

For anyone planning the emissions mod:

After seeing the EPA & CARB approved emissions modification (Recall 23Q3), I decided to keep my car. I downloaded and filled out all the necessary paperwork from the website portal. After having the final offer from VW notarized, I easily scanned, pdf converted, and uploaded the signed documents directly to the portal with ease.

VW got back to me at each step of the way so quickly, I nearly missed the webpage that told me that I could schedule my appointment for Phase I. The website directs you to schedule the appointment with your dealership of choice using an online link. Based on my experience, I would suggest calling into your dealership to explain and make the appointment. They may assume you don't have the necessary paperwork done as in my case.

I had to wait about 2.5 hours which they explained involved a reflash, and paperwork including various photos they had to submit. My paperwork lists:

V,B0039626 MOD LABEL
V,03L010005J TDI EMISS

They gave me a receipt which shows the amount due to me and said they would contact me via email within 3 banking days. I also received an updated EPA fuel economy / smog rating etc. which is very close to the original.

The car did not sound any different afterwards and seemed to perform exactly the same as it did before on the way home.

*** Update ***

- first MPG reading, 35.4 at about a 50/50 mix of highway/city, see post on page 3 for more info
- one noticeable change is more frequent DPF regens, for me occurring at < 1000 mile intervals (not calculated, but seems like every 400-500 miles)

Last edited by PAJettaTDI; April 4th, 2017 at 06:10.
PAJettaTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 11:24   #2
jaredaggie

Very cool. Thanks for posting. Hopefully they will get to us 2013 owners before too long.
jaredaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 19:49   #3
bustNfuel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39-42

Thanks for the update. I've been planning on keeping mine all along. I'm at 58K miles and have been driving another vehicle since this whole fiasco stared to keep the miles from adding up.

I love my Passat TDi and have no desire to drive anything else except another TDi.

bustNfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2017, 13:16   #4
unixb0y
Veteran Member

What happens if you never get around to part 2 of the fix?
unixb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2017, 14:18   #5
PAJettaTDI

Good question. I think they assume most people will not want to miss out on the remaining money and they throw the disclaimer out there that the emissions parts used in phase II will replace the stock parts going forward so you may have trouble sourcing parts down the road if you still have the stock setup and have failures. You would also void the extended warranty.
Old January 25th, 2017, 14:55   #6
unixb0y
Veteran Member

So is it a % for the 1st fix and the remaining for the 2nd fix?
Old January 26th, 2017, 12:08   #7
PAJettaTDI

Yes, they pay you 2/3 of the total restitution within 3 days of completion of Phase I emissions modification. I received my payment 2 days after my modification.
Old January 26th, 2017, 12:25   #8
unixb0y
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAJettaTDI View Post
Yes, they pay you 2/3 of the total restitution within 3 days of completion of Phase I emissions modification. I received my payment 2 days after my modification.
Thanks for letting me know. Nothing much is settled here in Canada.

Hopefully, you can enjoy the Passat to 1M miles.

It seems that the Gen III extended warranty is one hell of a deal if you keep the car.

How many miles do you have and How long is your Gen III warranty extended to now?
Old January 26th, 2017, 14:59   #9
PAJettaTDI

I have almost 29k miles. The extended ECS warranty is the greater of the following:

- 11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's original in-service date

OR

- 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of Phase I. After Phase II, the warranty will be honored for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of Phase II.
Old January 27th, 2017, 18:38   #10
Funguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 mpg

I also have decided to keep my car. I've been trying to change the date for the phase 1 modification to the next couple of months but I keep getting an error message on the website?
Funguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2017, 06:51   #11
PAJettaTDI

Once you complete all the paperwork, you end up with a webpage that says you can now schedule your appointment. At this point you can just log off and call your dealer to setup up a day of your choosing. I believe it can be any time you want. It just means you have completed all the necessary paperwork to proceed. I found that it's best not to use the online scheduling function. That just takes you to the local dealer scheduling website which didn't appear to be setup specifically for this type of service. Just call and set an appointment up for when you want to have this done.

You can print and take a copy of your signed paperwork if you want, but they didn't even need mine. I'm sure they pulled everything up based on the VIN and my personal information already in their computer.
Old January 28th, 2017, 09:02   #12
Funguy
Veteran Member

Thanks
Old January 28th, 2017, 20:48   #13
testy_SOB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/46/41

Please let us know of any real world mileage impacts...... Enquiring minds..
testy_SOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 16:00   #14
AVM62

After driving my 2015 Passat SE TDI manual for three weeks after the fix I can say that I really like the fix. Who ever programed the software knew what they were doing and had experience driving a manual transmission vehicle. The car feels much more refined and will not stall as fast as before. It pulls like a tractor at low engine speeds yet is zippy on the highway. I have no way of telling if it uses more DFT or not. Mileage has not suffered as far as I can tell. I went on a trip to NC and got 46MPG which included some local driving. Local mixed driving i got 40MPG. So far very happy I kept my car.

I would say make the appoiment on the computer. VW will not proceed with the payments until everything is done. VW said the dealer had not checked the completed box when I called them. Called dealer and asked to speak with the TDI settlement rep. he said everything was done on his end. Made a appointment on the computer for the next day which was Saturday that I had no intention of keeping, Got a email from Chase Monday night, money was in my account on Wednesday morning. My mistake was calling the dealer and getting a appointment before all the paper work was done. And not making the appointment from the VW website.

Last edited by AVM62; February 15th, 2017 at 16:13. Reason: Added more information
AVM62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 18:06   #15
Funguy
Veteran Member

Thanks AVM. Sounds good. I just got my approval and will schedule soon.