www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old January 22nd, 2017, 23:27   #1
CNYTDi

Default Removing fuel from tank

Last day of driving our TDI (before I realized how bad water leak was), I filled it up w/ diesel fuel. Now that it sits in garage and will do so until VW comes thru w/ a date, how do I go about removing at least 15 gallons from the tank?
CNYTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 04:53   #2
nord
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47+ Avg (Passat DSG) 50 Avg (SE Manual) Warm Weather... 40 +/- Winter Conditions (All three cars)

More to the point... Have you nothing better to do? Even at $3.00 per gallon we're talking $45.00. You'll spend more than that in time and effort recovering those fifteen gallons of fuel.
nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 05:17   #3
roni024
Veteran Member

Punch a hold thru the bottom of the tank, drain the fuel, patch with bubble gum.

You wouldn't take the time to LOOK for a simple water leak, but you're willing to spend your time getting filthy to squeeze your precious fuel from your car?

Someone needs to get their priorities straight...
roni024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 05:22   #4
red16vdub
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roni024 View Post
Punch a hold thru the bottom of the tank, drain the fuel, patch with bubble gum.

Best option ^^ lol

Bajan
17/56 turbo, RC ASV-5+ @ 28psi, 3 Bar Map, 11mm IP, PD Lift Pump, R520's, McNally boost/egt, Euro FIS full screen Cluster, PD 150 Intake/racepipe, PD 150 plastic T.I.P + R32 maf air mods, Kerma 2.5" Fmic, Kerma 3"T-B exhaust/resonator/ Aero turbine muffler, SBC stage 3 Endurance, GLi brakes F/R , GLi axles, H&R Bilstein sports cup kit.
red16vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 06:05   #5
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Maybe he needs the precious juice to fuel his big rig on its journey to the thunderdome.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 06:52   #6
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

...tough crowd...
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 08:06   #7
compu_85
Gadget Guy

If I didn't have a pump and hose to put down the filler neck I don't think it would be worth the PITA. There might be an anti-siphon thing in the filler neck too. What are we talking about here, $40 in fuel?

-J
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 20:34   #8
Johnny G1

Fuel Economy: Golf first fill up 46 mpg

I'd swear that there are people on here that would take the air out of their tire's or drain their rads rather than let VW have it, I can see the nightmare that Canadian's are gonna have with people like that, Have enjoyed our car for 4+ yrs and hate to have to part with it but if VW will pay enough for it we'll buy a new one.
Johnny G1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 23:27   #9
CNYTDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by roni024 View Post
You wouldn't take the time to LOOK for a simple water leak, but you're willing to spend your time getting filthy to squeeze your precious fuel from your car?
Someone needs to get their priorities straight...
Why don't you then wire me $100.00 bucks so I can get it checked out. Don't expect me to pay you back tho.

If I'm going to have VW take back the car and given the water leak is severe, why then would I want to spend money to find out where it's leaking never to re-coupe the money spent to find the leak? The leak isn't simple BTW as it's bad enough to drain the rez in a couple days. Not my fault VW got their hand caught in the cookie jar. Frankly, I think whoever was able to conger up the scheme is pretty smart. However, we, the owners of such vehicles are caught in the middle. Add to that, VW's known faults of the DEF heaters, water pumps, exhaust gate valves etc.

If removing fuel is simple enough to do, then YES I will do it. No cost to do so other than my time. And yes, I can use it in my diesel tractor.
CNYTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 01:37   #10
767wrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37-43

Remove the back seat cushion. The tank sending unit is on the passenger side under a cover. Just don't damage the sending unit or lines when removing it. You can pump it out with a battery operated pump such as one for filling kerosene heaters or siphon it.

Other way may be jumpering the fuel pump relay and removing the line at the filter but depending on year built the location of the relay is subject to change.

I haven't tried to siphon from the tank inlet on one of these cars yet
12' Passat SE TDI; Cr 170 Turbo, Stage 3.5 malone, dpf, egr, muffler delete, traction control delete button, Sachs SRE Performance clutch with DMF, KONI Sport suspension, H&R lowering springs, Fluidampr by INA engineering, mini train horns, HID 10K projector headlights with LED DRL, painted brake calipers, ID parts winter front, frost heater, 19" Enkei Raijin
767wrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 03:54   #11
meerschm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: twice what my chevy used to get

There already is a fine collection of fuel pumps on the car.

pull a fuel line from the fuel filter under the hood (use the one that returns to the fuel tank), hook up a similar diameter hose, and start the car. turn the engine off when your collection tank is as full as you like.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 05:09   #12
roni024
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYTDi View Post
If I'm going to have VW take back the car and given the water leak is severe, why then would I want to spend money to find out where it's leaking never to re-coupe the money spent to find the leak?
If removing fuel is simple enough to do, then YES I will do it. No cost to do so other than my time. And yes, I can use it in my diesel tractor.
That's exactly my point on your water leak. It wouldn't cost you anything to look where it's leaking from. Could be a loose hose clamp or something else that might cost you ZERO to fix, apart from your time.

If you fix your water leak, then you could actually drive your car and burn the fuel you have. Recovering that fuel could be messy, and what would you do with it anyway? Heat with #2 fuel oil? Have another diesel vehicle? Sell it on craigslist? Souvenir?
roni024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 05:54   #13
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767wrench View Post
Remove the back seat cushion. The tank sending unit is on the passenger side under a cover. Just don't damage the sending unit or lines when removing it. You can pump it out with a battery operated pump such as one for filling kerosene heaters or siphon it.

Other way may be jumpering the fuel pump relay and removing the line at the filter but depending on year built the location of the relay is subject to change.

I haven't tried to siphon from the tank inlet on one of these cars yet
Removing the sending unit with the tank full of fuel will result in a half dozen gallons of diesel fuel in the floorboard of your car. Not recommended.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:54   #14
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

O...M...G...all this blather over <$40 worth of diesel, probably getting in excess of $20k from VWoA at buyback.
Rather pathetic, don't you agree??????
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 08:03   #15
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
O...M...G...all this blather over <$40 worth of diesel, probably getting in excess of $20k from VWoA at buyback.
Rather pathetic, don't you agree??????
Let's just approach this as a mental exercise rather than criticizing the guy for his motives. Knowing how to drain the tank is useful information.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote