www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old March 9th, 2017, 10:29   #31
eatpasta
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
I've heard of a few water pumps failing before the 130,000 mile timing belt interval. Volkswagen seems to have a problem with water pump longevity in general.
Mine failed at 60,200 miles - 200 miles out of warranty.

Neither the dealership or corporate would authorize a goodwill repair even after I had four months when I couldn't get tags for the car but was still paying for it.

The car goes back next week....

Old March 14th, 2017, 19:15   #32
BCPassat

TDI(s): 2013 Passat.

My 2013 Passat TDI is at 180,000km (108,000 miles), coolant light comes on every 3-400km (210 miles), refill and carry on.

I average 1-1,200km (600 miles) per week.

Timing belt and water pump not replaced yet, is the coolant leak most likely due to the water pump?

My plan is to keep the car as I do a large mileage, like everything about the car including handling, size, economy etc. I cannot find anything that is comparable on all levels, except an A8 or 7 series!!

Curious what others believe good value to be, but replacing the timing belt and water pump are the first two items outside of oil changes and filter changes. Still original brakes, tires due (use two sets).
To me, it is cheap driving.
BCPassat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 09:29   #33
Lex Tdi

TDI(s): 2013 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPassat View Post
My 2013 Passat TDI is at 180,000km (108,000 miles), coolant light comes on every 3-400km (210 miles), refill and carry on.
Timing belt and water pump not replaced yet, is the coolant leak most likely due to the water pump?
My plan is to keep the car as I do a large mileage, like everything about the car including handling, size, economy etc. I cannot find anything that is comparable on all levels, except an A8 or 7 series!!
Curious what others believe good value to be, but replacing the timing belt and water pump are the first two items outside of oil changes and filter changes. Still original brakes, tires due (use two sets).
I'm crossing 100k, just got two new front tire from my goodwill money. If your driving that much you might just go ahead and replace the timing belt when you run that many miles a week it just moving ahead maintenance by a month or two, in the grand scheme of things that's quite minor and really good insurance on not having something else grenade on you.

That what has cracks me up about some of the ones here dogging the car, acting like an extra 30 or 40k bucks to get a better car is no big deal. When you drive a lot upgrading to an A8 or 7 series aint gonna happen! Give me a few grand and i'll happily keep moving on....
Thanks to Paramedick (Bruce) for being my local Guru for over a decade!
Lex Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 04:02   #34
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPassat View Post
If it's leaking that much, you might want to give some serious consideration to fixing it. One gentleman here reports that his water pump seized and took out the top end of his engine. $$$$$

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 08:01   #35
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

yeah, don't mess with a t belt driven pump it will lock up, cut the belt and waste your head and pistons in milliseconds
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4 that gets 20MPG
1990 Toyota xcab 4x4 3.0 v6 (3.slow) 15MPG
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 07:27   #36
jackcmorgan

TDI(s): 2012 passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyledooley View Post
Lost my first at 74k. Blew the second one today, in spectacular fashion, at 140k. Effing buyback appointment is in 3 weeks.

But the good news is I did the last one (and the timing belt). Probably get it done in 2 hours or so. Already have a pump on the way. $70 on Amazon and next day shipping for $10.
Hi, did both of these leak when they failed? My car is overheating after driving it for about 15 minutes. The temp rises normally to 90C and stops there. About 5 - 10 minutes later (depending on speed) it starts to rapidly rise. I did suspect a thermostat, but if it was a thermostat i would think the temp would rise straight past 90 without stopping? The water pump is not leaking.

Waiting for the buyback here in Canada but it seems to be taking forever. How difficult was the belt / pump change? I looked it up in the service manual and they call for alot of specialty tools. I would say I'm at an advanced level in terms of auto repairs but have never attempted a timing belt / water pump change. Any DIYs around or tips for the install?

Thank you.

Jack
jackcmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2017, 08:23   #37
jdyno718

Just read these comments as my coolant light came on last night. Thankfully where I was eating also had an autoparts store in the parking lot. Walked over there and bought some G-12 coolant (Pentifrost SF).

I'm leaking like a sieve Coolant is leaking through the front center of the belly pan. From the top I can see fluid splashed on the belly pan between the radiator and the engine. Car has 109,xxx miles and this is the first issue I have had with it, bought it as a CPO with 35,858 miles. It appears as a new water pump and timing belt change are in order, based on previous comments. Hopefully I don't have issues driving the 30 miles to the shop.

EDITED: Not a water pump, I somehow cracked my oil filter housing...

Last edited by jdyno718; April 12th, 2017 at 12:15.
jdyno718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2017, 15:38   #38
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Tdi View Post
If your driving that much you might just go ahead and replace the timing belt when you run that many miles a week it just moving ahead maintenance by a month or two, in the grand scheme of things that's quite minor and really good insurance on not having something else grenade on you.
I would say if you are racking up the miles, if anything, you could probably extend the T/B interval some. When you reach the end of the interval and go past it some, there isn't a timer that is set to grenade your engine.

My exception would be because of the ridiculously high under hood temps on cars that do re-gens, I might do the T/B sooner. Oh wait. I would not own one of those terrible engineering fails.

Just a guess, but I suspect re-gens tend to make parts under the hood have shorter lives. With the non DPFs cars you almost never heard of alternators, turbos and water pumps failing before 100K miles. My alternator has 180K miles on it and will get new brushes/regulator this summer. The turbo just seems to keep chugging along..............
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; April 13th, 2017 at 15:55.
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 07:36   #39
Lex Tdi

TDI(s): 2013 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Rattler View Post
I would say if you are racking up the miles, if anything, you could probably extend the T/B interval some. When you reach the end of the interval and go past it some, there isn't a timer that is set to grenade your engine.
Nor was i trying to imply that there was... My point was that if one issue arises it makes sense to go ahead and fix everything. A leaking water pump is a problem and one that "could" do damage to other parts of your system, i suggested fixing it and everything surrounding it.

As for pushing the service interval, on my other cars which both went over 3-400,000 miles i dont really see the point of pushing another 10 or 20 thousand miles on the timing belt "just because i can." The cost of ownership on these things for people who rack up a lot of miles is greatly under any other option out there. Is saving an extra fraction of a cent per driving mile worth the risk of screwing your engine up and leaving you stranded on some highway?
Thanks to Paramedick (Bruce) for being my local Guru for over a decade!
Lex Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote