www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old November 19th, 2016, 15:55   #46
Jimbo70
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Mid 40's

Quote:
Originally Posted by stakeman View Post
OK, this is what i'm talking about. I didn't get any info other than reading this thread about the AdBlu heater extension. I did however have mine fail and paid out of pocket to buy a new heater and replaced it myself. I'd love to get that money I spent back but have no idea who I need to contact??? Can someone that actually got a letter or email from VW about this please provide some contact info. Thanks.
I received the warranty notification extension and the Campaign Reimbursement Request Form for my heater, but misplaced them. So, I took the information from one of the many other such forms I've received for this car, and followed the instructions:

Quote:
1. Please provide legible copies of receipts, invoices and/or repair orders and keep originals for your records. Documents will not be returned. Documentation must include:
- The name and address of the person who paid for the repair
- The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the repaired vehicle
- A description of the problem and what repair was done, and the name, address, and phone number of the repair facility that performed the work.
- Proof of payment for the repair and the day payment was made (cancelled check, bank statement, etc.)

2. Please mail this form and the required documentation to:
VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA
Attn: Campaign Reimbursement
3800 Hamlin Rd., Auburn Hills, MI 48326

Please note:
- Your claim will be acted upon within 60 days of receipt. If you claim is approved, you will receive a check from Volkswagen. Reimbursement may be limited to the amount the repair would have cost if it had been completed by an authorized Volkswagen dealer.
- If your claim is incomplete we will contact you and offer you the opportunity to provide additional documentation to support your claim.
- If your claim is denied we will contact you with the reason(s) for denial.
Instead of the claim form, which would have had the wrong campaign number on it, I wrote a cover letter and included the receipts from the dealer I purchased the kit from, a copy of the VAG-COM scan, and a couple pictures showing the car in various states of disassembly. That seems to be enough documentation, but that also doesn't guarantee they will do anything with it.
Old November 19th, 2016, 20:09   #47
stakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo70 View Post
I received the warranty notification extension and the Campaign Reimbursement Request Form for my heater, but misplaced them. So, I took the information from one of the many other such forms I've received for this car, and followed the instructions:

Instead of the claim form, which would have had the wrong campaign number on it, I wrote a cover letter and included the receipts from the dealer I purchased the kit from, a copy of the VAG-COM scan, and a couple pictures showing the car in various states of disassembly. That seems to be enough documentation, but that also doesn't guarantee they will do anything with it.

Thank You! I honestly have NO IDEA why VW has not sent me this info??? I'm the original owner of a 13 Passat TDI SEL? Where do you sent the info or do you have a phone number?
stakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2016, 23:36   #48
Jimbo70
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thank You! I honestly have NO IDEA why VW has not sent me this info??? I'm the original owner of a 13 Passat TDI SEL? Where do you sent the info or do you have a phone number?
Address is in Step 2.
Old November 20th, 2016, 05:33   #49
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Call Volkswagen Customer Care if you need more information. 1 (800) 822-8987

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2016, 22:17   #50
stakeman

Thank you Gentlemen!
Old November 28th, 2016, 12:47   #51
yehaman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yehaman View Post
I'm going the same route, paid my dealer with the $500 goodwill card. On my receipt it shows a Visa transaction so I'm hoping they just issue me a check for $500 as a refund. I'm not sure how VAG would actually know if I paid with their Visa or one of mine. Either way, it was money that was issued to us to use at our discretion so I would think it should be refunded. We'll see...sending out my reimbursement paperwork tomorrow.

Wife just called, seems I received another letter from VW today. This time it had a $500 check in it....ChaChing!!!

Last edited by yehaman; November 28th, 2016 at 14:33.
yehaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 17:18   #52
stakeman

That's Great!!
Old November 30th, 2016, 06:41   #53
GTSLOW
Veteran Member

What about 2015??????
'15 Passat SE M6 - Sold back 12/22/16
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 06:54   #54
GTSLOW
Veteran Member

Dealer told me to piss off. I will never set foot on VW lot again in my life. This Passat has turned into the nightmare from hell.
'15 Passat SE M6 - Sold back 12/22/16
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2016, 07:23   #55
Fixmy59bug

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

I doubt they told you to "piss off" unless you got belligerent with them.

But to answer your question, the 2015 Passat does not have the warranty extension because it uses a completely different system than the 2012 - 2014 passats.
Old December 5th, 2016, 14:49   #56
Jimbo70
Veteran Member

Got a response from Volkswagen Customer Care about my reimbursement request. It was declined because the part I used to replace the AdBlue heater was not the part number covered by the warranty extension. I have to say that I'm a little confused though.

I ordered the kit and installed the kit listed in another thread, P/N 7L6.198.970A (which is listed for the Touareg), before the extension came out. Using the car's VIN, the P/N that comes up on the same site is 561.198.970A. I don't have access to ETKA to figure out what is what, but the unit I purchased and installed 1) fit, and 2) cost a third as much as the part that comes up with the VIN search ($216.16 versus $625).

At this point I'm counting down the days until we get our final offer so that we can return this car. I don't know if I have the time/interest/patience to sit on hold for hours in an attempt to find out what the correct part number was.
Old December 5th, 2016, 15:34   #57
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

7L is a Touareg part number. While they're functionally interchangeable, apparently VW doesn't think so when it comes to warranty reimbursement.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 19:04   #58
Jimbo70
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
7L is a Touareg part number. While they're functionally interchangeable, apparently VW doesn't think so when it comes to warranty reimbursement.
I got on a chat with VW Customer Care and pled my case. I effectively saved Volkswagen $1,000 or so by using the identical part that cost a third of what the "correct" part cost, and doing the work myself. Had I known that the warranty was going to be extended effectively a month after I replaced the part, they would have paid much, much more.
Old December 7th, 2016, 13:58   #59
jw4free
Veteran Member

How'd that chat work out for you Jimbo70?

I did the same frugal thing as you. Apparently I set myself up to be out of pocket $250. But I didn't have to spend $1100 or so a year ago, nor pay $485 is for the 'correct' part.

Just thinking, I still have the old heater unit on the shelf in the garage. I could swap that one in, throw the cel, and get it replaced. I'd then have a good shelf spare, a new heater in the vehicle, but that doesn't seem like the best use of my weekend. Nor the following bunch of hours getting the dealership to replace it especially in the midst of freezing winter weather.

Last edited by jw4free; December 7th, 2016 at 14:09. Reason: Had a thought..
jw4free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2016, 04:07   #60
Jimbo70
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw4free View Post
How'd that chat work out for you Jimbo70?

I did the same frugal thing as you. Apparently I set myself up to be out of pocket $250. But I didn't have to spend $1100 or so a year ago, nor pay $485 is for the 'correct' part.

Just thinking, I still have the old heater unit on the shelf in the garage. I could swap that one in, throw the cel, and get it replaced. I'd then have a good shelf spare, a new heater in the vehicle, but that doesn't seem like the best use of my weekend. Nor the following bunch of hours getting the dealership to replace it especially in the midst of freezing winter weather.
The last response (unsolicited by me) I received from the person at VW Care was that she apologized for not getting back to me as promised, but that the person she needed to talk to was out of the office. That was on 12/7. I asked for an update on 12/9, and I'm awaiting a response to that.