www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old October 29th, 2016, 05:04   #16
Azathoth

TDI(s): Passat

Just got my notice. This is the issue that tipped me into the buyback. 1500 miles out of warranty mine went bad. Thought with all the bad bad press from the emissions deal there would be no problem getting it a little goodwill coverage. HA! I pick up my new BMW Monday.
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2016, 05:44   #17
scottohackett

TDI(s): 2012

Is the adblue heater and temp sensory totally different? I had a code of P205C & P205B but it only says reductant tank temp sensor but I swear two years ago I remember them telling me it was the heater. Repair was about $700.00 but paperworks states replace adblue temp sensor

HAHA Never mind just looked at second page of paperwork. The order the sensor by accident now I found where they had to return it and replace with 561-198-970 which is the heater element. SWEET! I can use the extra $675.00

Last edited by scottohackett; October 29th, 2016 at 07:30.
scottohackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2016, 07:57   #18
itsjimbob

TDI(s): 2013 Passat
Default Nice surprise and just in time

Yep fully covered. I was ironically at the VW dealer today picking up my Tourag heater to put into my Passat ($350 vs $650) and stopped by the service desk to ask if the heaters would be fixed under the Dieselgate fixes. The lady there said no but it was now covered under a separate recall. She looked up my VIN and I am covered. I took the other heater back to the parts counter and got a refund. Funny part is I used the $500 goodwill parts card to pay for it and then threw it away. The cashier told me they could only credit that debit card. When I told her I didn't have it anymore she went and talked to the service manager and they gave me a non-expiring service credit. My next 2 or three oils changes will be free. The gal at the service desk told me she was very happy Volkswagen finally did the right thing because she has seen a lot of disappointed customers learn their heaters were not covered with 40-50K on their cars. This dealer plans to go back and notify owners who have paid the $1100 for the fix to submit for a full refund. Thats pretty good customer service. She was also very happy I am doing the fix and not abandoning the car with the buy back. She didn't say what it was but did say this dealership was planning to do something special for the customers who purchased from them and repair their cars their rather than sell them back. Even if it is a free oil change or a vehicle detail 'Ill take it.
itsjimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2016, 15:54   #19
fredthe
Veteran Member

Got my letter, glad I waited but now it will be fixed before winter. Next question is how long until they do the same for the '15 Golf's (had one replaced under warranty, but the car was only a year old and 25k miles.)

fredthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2016, 15:55   #20
Santa2ya

TDI(s): None

Wonder if VAG will refund me the $465 goodwill dealer money that I used to pay for a replacement heater (pump) this past February and the $140 I just spent mid August to diagnose a MIL?

Upon diagnosis of the Adblue heater failure in mid August we decided to park it based on the buyback details and the need for a 5th heater issue. All service except for the 40K trans service has been done at the same dealership.

I feel it is good that VAG is extending warranty for so many issues. At the same time I am horrified VAG has the need to. So much for "German Engineering" and a quality product.
Santa2ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2016, 15:58   #21
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

^^^Interesting question, re: $465 goodwill refund. Keep us posted!
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2016, 06:04   #22
DEAD-BROKE
Veteran Member

living in florida i doubt mine will ever go bad (lol yeah right ) but it is good to know it will be covered.
DEAD-BROKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2016, 06:31   #23
yehaman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa2ya View Post
Wonder if VAG will refund me the $465 goodwill dealer money that I used to pay for a replacement heater (pump) this past February and the $140 I just spent mid August to diagnose a MIL?

Upon diagnosis of the Adblue heater failure in mid August we decided to park it based on the buyback details and the need for a 5th heater issue. All service except for the 40K trans service has been done at the same dealership.

I feel it is good that VAG is extending warranty for so many issues. At the same time I am horrified VAG has the need to. So much for "German Engineering" and a quality product.

I'm going the same route, paid my dealer with the $500 goodwill card. On my receipt it shows a Visa transaction so I'm hoping they just issue me a check for $500 as a refund. I'm not sure how VAG would actually know if I paid with their Visa or one of mine. Either way, it was money that was issued to us to use at our discretion so I would think it should be refunded. We'll see...sending out my reimbursement paperwork tomorrow.
yehaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2016, 08:00   #24
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yehaman View Post
I'm going the same route, paid my dealer with the $500 goodwill card. On my receipt it shows a Visa transaction so I'm hoping they just issue me a check for $500 as a refund. I'm not sure how VAG would actually know if I paid with their Visa or one of mine. Either way, it was money that was issued to us to use at our discretion so I would think it should be refunded. We'll see...sending out my reimbursement paperwork tomorrow.
I think you are entitled to a refund under the terms of the recall, regardless of how you paid for it. Money is money.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2016, 13:29   #25
laminated
Veteran Member

You would think that any shop is acceptable to submit for reimbursement, Many owners are hours away from a dealer,, so it would be unthinkable to take a car in for every service
laminated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2016, 13:57   #26
kulak
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Passat NMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAD-BROKE View Post
living in florida i doubt mine will ever go bad (lol yeah right ) but it is good to know it will be covered.
Mine went bad in FL. Don't doubt that it could happen.
Old November 4th, 2016, 05:20   #27
jolvi1

Had mine replaced under warranty, well at first they said they wouldn't dealer offered a discount on the part. Dealer also charged me $100.00 to diagnose CEL. I did have to have a discussion with VW about the Adblue tank and it was after the dieselgate issue. I asked the question what does the Adblue do? She stated that it cut down on pollution, well then she stated that it had no big effect on it. Well guess it did because she did eventually get back with me and had it replaced. Wonder if I should try and get my $100.00 back or just ignore it..
jolvi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2016, 05:30   #28
compu_85
Gadget Guy

I spoke with VW customer care this morning, seems that those of us with just a temp sensor failure are SOL. This warranty extension is only for the heater part of the assembly.

-J
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2016, 09:15   #29
smoav8r
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Prius Killer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulak View Post
Mine went bad in FL. Don't doubt that it could happen.
Mine too. Hard to believe I have a CEL I can't reset for a feature the car hasn't used in three years!
smoav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2016, 20:26   #30
WISCO

I got my AdBlue Warranty Reimbursement letter from VAG and in typical VW fashion, they are being cheap because they can. For those that had the work done at an Indy, VW tells you that either the parts or labor were too much. In fact they state that:

- VW had to establish a standard rate
- Reimbursement based on standard labor rate time of authorized vw dealer
- Maximum reimbursement ammount for parts based on warranty prices for components

Funny because the parts (Adblue Heater and Control Module) were bought from VW (Bosch parts) and the labor only came to 4 hours. Even more funny the INDY (Bosch certified) repair cost $1,100 and the VW dealer cost was $1,700. The dealer also wanted the tank to go and I said 'NOPE.' Part of the reason I went to the Indy is that I had zero confidence in the dealer technicians.

Long story short I don't know what I'm getting reimbursed, but my best guess is they will reimburse right in the range of $500 - 700. That means two hours labor and the current price of the heater - $400ish.

Still better than a sharp poke in the eye. I'm surprised Mercedes and Ford haven't had a recall on the heater as well. They use the same Bosch component.
WISCO is offline   Reply With Quote